Where to get good engine cleaning brushes?

Old March 21st 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Where to get good engine cleaning brushes?

As I posted earlier, I think I will be tearing down the engine in my
'55 Stude soon, not because there's any problem with the way it runs or
oil pressure, but because it leaks far more oil than it burns and also
because my friend has a steam cleaner/pressure washer that he's itching
to try out and my engine is UUUUGLY. (except for the area around the
pass. side exhaust manifold; since I had to replace the manifold that
area got somewhat detailed.)

Since the car was sitting for a number of years, some of the water
passages are pretty crusty, especially inside the water manifold
(there's a separate water manifold/pump housing; it's not integrated
like later engines.) I know that engine builders have heavy
wire-bristle bottle brushes to knock the big chunks off; where can I
actually buy them? Instead of spending $$$ to have my parts dipped, I
was going to try a homebrew cleaning regimen, but I need something to
get into those hard to reach places. I'd like to get it cleaned up now
if I could as I suspect that I will probably have my radiator recored
at some point and I'd rather get all the caustic chemicals/floating
rust chunks over with now rather than with a new rad. core.

nate

Old March 21st 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> As I posted earlier, I think I will be tearing down the engine in my
> '55 Stude soon, not because there's any problem with the way it runs or
> oil pressure, but because it leaks far more oil than it burns and also
> because my friend has a steam cleaner/pressure washer that he's itching
> to try out and my engine is UUUUGLY. (except for the area around the
> pass. side exhaust manifold; since I had to replace the manifold that
> area got somewhat detailed.)
>
> Since the car was sitting for a number of years, some of the water
> passages are pretty crusty, especially inside the water manifold
> (there's a separate water manifold/pump housing; it's not integrated
> like later engines.) I know that engine builders have heavy
> wire-bristle bottle brushes to knock the big chunks off; where can I
> actually buy them?

http://goodson.com/

Check page 78 of their online catalog.

Old March 21st 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> As I posted earlier, I think I will be tearing down the engine in my
> '55 Stude soon, not because there's any problem with the way it runs or
> oil pressure, but because it leaks far more oil than it burns and also
> because my friend has a steam cleaner/pressure washer that he's itching
> to try out and my engine is UUUUGLY. (except for the area around the
> pass. side exhaust manifold; since I had to replace the manifold that
> area got somewhat detailed.)

Aside from the use of brushed, are you going to try to use the pressure
washer to blast out some of that mineral scale and rust, Nate?