do mufflers give you that hot rod engine noise?

Old October 3rd 05, 04:12 AM
John Smith

Default do mufflers give you that hot rod engine noise?

i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced with a
Chevy 350 crate engine. Otherwise it looks original. Problem is, when you
start the engine it sounds like a hot rod -- throaty muscle car type of
sound. I want a sedate old car sound. My question -- is this sound simply a
funciton of the muffler? Could I tone it down by changing to a different
muffler? Or is this engine sound due to the engine, and no muffler is going
to change it?

thanks

Old October 3rd 05, 10:54 AM
mst

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:12:41 -0400 "John Smith"
> wrote:

> i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced
> with a Chevy 350 crate engine. Otherwise it looks original. Problem
> is, when you start the engine it sounds like a hot rod -- throaty
> muscle car type of sound. I want a sedate old car sound. My question
> -- is this sound simply a funciton of the muffler? Could I tone it
> down by changing to a different muffler?

Yes.

> Or is this engine sound due
> to the engine, and no muffler is going to change it?

Partly, but a muffler change will fix it.

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old October 3rd 05, 02:38 PM
N8N

John Smith wrote:
> i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced with a
> Chevy 350 crate engine. Otherwise it looks original. Problem is, when you
> start the engine it sounds like a hot rod -- throaty muscle car type of
> sound. I want a sedate old car sound. My question -- is this sound simply a
> funciton of the muffler? Could I tone it down by changing to a different
> muffler? Or is this engine sound due to the engine, and no muffler is going
> to change it?
>
> thanks

Depends on what you find objectionable about the sound. If it's simply
the volume, then yes changing the mufflers will help. However you will
have to seek the advice of a GOOD muffler guy as most aftermarket
mufflers are aimed at the "performance" crowd who value low
backpressure over quietness. Stay away from "turbo" mufflers,
glasspacks, and Flowmasters or imitations thereof. They sound good,
IMHO, but aren't what you seem to be looking for.

Alternately, you could run a glasspack in series with the existing
mufflers, if they're "turbo" style or similar. This will yield a deep,
throaty sound without a whole lot of volume. Also adding a balance
tube, crossover, H-pipe, whatever you want to call it, will mellow out
the sound without any performance hit.

If what you dislike is the lumpy idle due to a performance cam (which
crate motor are we talking about, anyway?) there's really not much that
can be done short of installing a milder camshaft, which IMHO isn't
worth it.

good luck,

nate

Old October 3rd 05, 03:32 PM
sdlomi2

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> John Smith wrote:
>> i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced with a
>> Chevy 350 crate engine. Otherwise it looks original. Problem is, when you
>> start the engine it sounds like a hot rod -- throaty muscle car type of
>> sound. I want a sedate old car sound. My question -- is this sound simply
>> funciton of the muffler? Could I tone it down by changing to a different
>> muffler? Or is this engine sound due to the engine, and no muffler is
>> going
>> to change it?
>>
>> thanks

> Depends on what you find objectionable about the sound. If it's simply
> the volume, then yes changing the mufflers will help. However you will
> have to seek the advice of a GOOD muffler guy as most aftermarket
> mufflers are aimed at the "performance" crowd who value low
> backpressure over quietness. Stay away from "turbo" mufflers,
> glasspacks, and Flowmasters or imitations thereof. They sound good,
> IMHO, but aren't what you seem to be looking for.
>
> Alternately, you could run a glasspack in series with the existing
> mufflers, if they're "turbo" style or similar. This will yield a deep,
> throaty sound without a whole lot of volume. Also adding a balance
> tube, crossover, H-pipe, whatever you want to call it, will mellow out
> the sound without any performance hit.

Ditto on what N8N says about adding the H-pipe/crossover pipe for
quieter operation. I've seen many guys who were unhappy after paying for
dual exhaust systems (with turbos, glasspacks, or Flowmasters) when they
were too quiet. Only after going back and removing the original crossover
pipe did the sound level increase to their expectations.
sdlomi2

Old October 3rd 05, 04:06 PM
Steve

John Smith wrote:

> i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced with a
> Chevy 350 crate engine. Otherwise it looks original. Problem is, when you
> start the engine it sounds like a hot rod -- throaty muscle car type of
> sound. I want a sedate old car sound. My question -- is this sound simply a
> funciton of the muffler? Could I tone it down by changing to a different
> muffler? Or is this engine sound due to the engine, and no muffler is going
> to change it?
>
> thanks

It depends. If the engine has pretty high compression and an aggressive
cam, then quieter mufflers will HELP quiet it down, but it will still be
a little thumpy, and probably won't run very well with the more
restrictive mufflers.

Old October 3rd 05, 05:41 PM

"Steve" > wrote in message

> It depends. If the engine has pretty high compression and an aggressive
> cam, then quieter mufflers will HELP quiet it down, but it will still be
> a little thumpy, and probably won't run very well with the more
> restrictive mufflers.

I think many of us like a somewhat throaty sound, but don't want a loud
glasspack type of noise.

Remember how the old MG-B's and similar European cars had a growl?
It was not loud, but sounded far racier than in fact they were. Could this
sound be duplicated with an American V6 or V8?

Old October 3rd 05, 08:06 PM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

John Smith wrote:

> i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced with a
> Chevy 350 crate engine. Otherwise it looks original. Problem is, when you
> start the engine it sounds like a hot rod -- throaty muscle car type of
> sound. I want a sedate old car sound. My question -- is this sound simply a
> funciton of the muffler? Could I tone it down by changing to a different
> muffler? Or is this engine sound due to the engine, and no muffler is going
> to change it?
>
> thanks

The selection of a muffler will make a big difference. This assumes that
you have ruled out a hole in the exhaust or a bad exhaust gasket as the
source of the existing sound first.

--
Paul Hovnanian
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.
Old October 4th 05, 03:46 AM
Agave

<head>
</head>
N8N wrote:
legroups.com"
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">John Smith wrote:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">i am looking at an antique truck. The original engine was replaced with a
[...]

From the OP...this is an "antique truck".&nbsp; Can we assume there's little
or no sound insulation material around the cab area?&nbsp; When you "start
the engine it sounds like a hot rod".&nbsp; Does the sound diminish/go way
after startup?&nbsp; Is the sound acceptable after startup?&nbsp; Are there
headers or the stock exhaust manifolds?&nbsp; Do you care what it sounds
like outside the cab (i.e., what others hear, but not you)?<br>