Cutting off The Top

Old June 26th 05, 05:28 PM
PHILLIP COYLE

Default Cutting off The Top

I have a question for anyone that knows about vw framework. I just got a 73
that had been stolen and found in a lake. The wrecker service just wrapped a
wide belt through the doors to pull it out and the whole roof collapsed I
cut it off just behind the visers back to the air holes over the hood. My
question is on the pad itself will it hold up this way or will it bend over
time? Thanks all
Phil

Old June 26th 05, 07:40 PM
bcdlr

Check out http://volksrods.com/ and the forums. There are several links
there to top chopping and removal. Plus there are a lot of guys there
who have done that very thing.
Hope that helps...
Really don't need much more than what a convertable has which I think
was like an extra brace across the floor or something. But I'm not
expert - I'll let the experts explain...
Dan

Old June 26th 05, 08:39 PM
tricky

Beetles without the roof (cabriolet) have feinforcments welded to the
bottom of the heater chanels and inner wheel arch panels (inner 1/4
panels) the rest ( i think ) is stock.
These panels can be puchased and fitted as if it were a cabriolet resto.

Rear side windows somtimes wind down.

Rich

Old June 26th 05, 08:41 PM
tricky

feinforcments = reinforcments !

Old June 26th 05, 09:05 PM
MUADIB®

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:39:31 GMT, tricky >
wrote:

>Beetles without the roof (cabriolet) have feinforcments welded to the
>bottom of the heater chanels and inner wheel arch panels (inner 1/4
>panels) the rest ( i think ) is stock.
>These panels can be puchased and fitted as if it were a cabriolet resto.
>
> Rear side windows somtimes wind down.

Can also add some re-inforcements on the pan as is done on the
convertible at the coachworks. The one out in my yard has what appears
to be a heavy 1.25" square tube re-inforcement welded to the pan.

I'd like to have a picture but don't. Anyone have a photo of the
underside of a Cabrio???

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old June 26th 05, 09:55 PM
Jan Andersson

PHILLIP COYLE wrote:

> I have a question for anyone that knows about vw framework. I just got a 73
> that had been stolen and found in a lake. The wrecker service just wrapped a
> wide belt through the doors to pull it out and the whole roof collapsed I
> cut it off just behind the visers back to the air holes over the hood. My
> question is on the pad itself will it hold up this way or will it bend over
> time? Thanks all
> Phil

It will bend. FAST.

When we make convertibles, the factory (VW of germany) has given us
instructions on how to reinforce the body and chassis:

http://www.geocities.com/janbugger/vert.jpg

Jan
Old June 26th 05, 10:25 PM
PHILLIP COYLE

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> PHILLIP COYLE wrote:
> >
> > I have a question for anyone that knows about vw framework. I just got a

73
> > that had been stolen and found in a lake. The wrecker service just

wrapped a
> > wide belt through the doors to pull it out and the whole roof collapsed

> > cut it off just behind the visers back to the air holes over the hood.

My
> > question is on the pad itself will it hold up this way or will it bend

over
> > time? Thanks all
> > Phil

> It will bend. FAST.
>
> When we make convertibles, the factory (VW of germany) has given us
> instructions on how to reinforce the body and chassis:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/janbugger/vert.jpg
>

> Jan

Thanks go to bcdlr,tricky and to you Jon for the info with all of that I can
do just as well to weld a couple of 2" cromoly pipes from the windshild back
to the point that I cut it in the rear. That should be stronger then the top
was. I am not after looks just surveabilty. I only paid 100.00 for it to
start with and only did that for the front end. I was going to build a three
wheeler with it. After I got it home and really looked it over it was just
too good to cut up that much. Thee engine only had a few miles on it when
stolen andd after taking it apart and cleaning it up it looks great. I am
about ready to put it back in andd check it out better. After owning over
250 cars of all types and sizes I am not a collector or rich enough to bring
one back to show shape. I have always just got a car as cheap as I can and
ran it for as long as it did not cost me more to keep it up then car
payments would cost. It hurts to think of all of the cars that I wish that I
had back now.

Line Cutting fbloogyudsr Driving 22 March 9th 05 12:46 AM
97 intrepid cutting out rowdystrepid Dodge 12 December 3rd 04 08:50 PM
'99 328 Windscreen Wipers Intermittently Cutting Out Darren Wilkes BMW 0 November 21st 04 08:57 PM
A/C cutting in and out Stern_fan BMW 2 September 29th 04 01:16 AM