Honda Odyssey cruise control

Old September 27th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_5_]

Default Honda Odyssey cruise control

2000 Odyssey, 61,000m. Cruise control started "dropping out"
occasionally at first, now regularly. Dealer mechanic is about to
replace brake switch because "it is noisy" and the under-hood
actuator. Looking carefully at wiring diagram page 4-34 in shop manual
it doesn't appear that there is any "feedback" between the actuator
(motor and clutch) and the cruise control unit and therefore the ccu
cannot know whether the actuator has actually moved the throttle. Pin
10 of the ccu lights the cruise control light in the instrument
cluster and this goes out when the cruise control fails. It seems to
me that the problem is more likely in the ccu than the actuator, even
an intermittently contacting brake light switch would allow cruise
restoration.
Dick
Old September 28th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

A noisy switch will cause it to drop out. It won't reset itself. You have to
start it back up. The feedback from the motor will be through the throttle
position sensor but that shouldn't drop it out. Replacing both is just a
money grabbing scheme. Replace the switch first and then move on if there is
still a problem.

Old September 29th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_5_]

On Sep 27, 4:24 pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> A noisy switch will cause it to drop out. It won't reset itself. You have to
> start it back up. The feedback from the motor will be through the throttle
> position sensor but that shouldn't drop it out. Replacing both is just a
> money grabbing scheme. Replace the switch first and then move on if there is
> still a problem.
>
> "Dick" > wrote in message

> > 2000 Odyssey, 61,000m. Cruise control started "dropping out"
> > occasionally at first, now regularly. Dealer mechanic is about to
> > replace brake switch because "it is noisy" and the under-hood
> > actuator. Looking carefully at wiring diagram page 4-34 in shop manual
> > it doesn't appear that there is any "feedback" between the actuator
> > (motor and clutch) and the cruise control unit and therefore the ccu
> > cannot know whether the actuator has actually moved the throttle. Pin
> > 10 of the ccu lights the cruise control light in the instrument
> > cluster and this goes out when the cruise control fails. It seems to
> > me that the problem is more likely in the ccu than the actuator, even
> > an intermittently contacting brake light switch would allow cruise
> > restoration.
> > Dick

Thanks Woody, I am not clear what exactly you mean by "you have to
start it back up". Normally if the brake pedal is touched the cruise
control drops out but can be restored by pressing accel/resume on the
steering wheel spoke. In my case however cruise will not resume though
occasionally turning the dashboard cruise control switch off then on
again will allow a new setting of speed via set/decel. I assume the
mechanic meant the switch sounds noisy not that he saw intermittancy
in the closure/opening. I e-mailed the service advisor my posted
argument and that I didn't want to pay for an unneeded actuator and he
assured me that if replacing it didn't solve the problem both the
purchase price and installation charge would be struck from my
invoice, I have a printed copy of the exchange.
Dick
Dick
Old October 4th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

I feel sorry for you people that have to be spoon fed by the dealer for such
simple problems. The dealer stated it was noisy because 99.99999% of the
time that is the problem. It is a cheap part and takes very little knowledge
and time to replace it. You could also buy it cheap from one of the online
Honda parts supplier and have the corner mechanic replace it rather than pay
the high price at the dealer.

Old October 10th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dick[_5_]

On Oct 4, 1:35 pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> I feel sorry for you people that have to be spoon fed by the dealer for such
> simple problems. The dealer stated it was noisy because 99.99999% of the
> time that is the problem. It is a cheap part and takes very little knowledge
> and time to replace it. You could also buy it cheap from one of the online
> Honda parts supplier and have the corner mechanic replace it rather than pay
> the high price at the dealer.
>
> "Dick" > wrote in message

> > On Sep 27, 4:24 pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> >> A noisy switch will cause it to drop out. It won't reset itself. You have
> >> start it back up. The feedback from the motor will be through the
> >> throttle
> >> position sensor but that shouldn't drop it out. Replacing both is just a
> >> money grabbing scheme. Replace the switch first and then move on if there
> >> is
> >> still a problem.

> > Thanks Woody, I am not clear what exactly you mean by "you have to
> > start it back up". Normally if the brake pedal is touched the cruise
> > control drops out but can be restored by pressing accel/resume on the
> > steering wheel spoke. In my case however cruise will not resume though
> > occasionally turning the dashboard cruise control switch off then on
> > again will allow a new setting of speed via set/decel. I assume the
> > mechanic meant the switch sounds noisy not that he saw intermittancy
> > in the closure/opening. I e-mailed the service advisor my posted
> > argument and that I didn't want to pay for an unneeded actuator and he
> > assured me that if replacing it didn't solve the problem both the
> > purchase price and installation charge would be struck from my
> > invoice, I have a printed copy of the exchange.
> > Dick
> > Dick

Woody, it was the ($46) brake switch but I was refunded for the
actuator OK.
Dick