Minvan stalling

Old September 2nd 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Minvan stalling

We have a 1997 Mercury Voyager minivan with a 3.0 engine and about
66,000 original miles. The van willl occasionally stall on the
highway...the engine surges once or twice and then shuts down at
highway speeds. We coast to a stop and pull off the highway, wait five
minutes or so and then it starts up and runs normally. Is this is common
problem for this van? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Old September 2nd 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Change the fuel filter lately?!

Old September 3rd 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Woody[_1_]

That is impossible to say. Have you had the codes pulled? It could be an
ignition problem, fuel problem or anything else and no it is not a common
problem in any van or car.

Old September 3rd 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Mercury Villager

It is a Mercury VIllager, not a Voyager.

Doug and Patty

Old September 3rd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

there seem to be a lot of fuel problems and not as many electrical
problems. i think i would check the fuel pressure. If its low it could
be a defective fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.
Old September 3rd 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 19:26:04 -0400, "Woody" > wrote:

>And that will make a difference in your diagnosis?

Yes it would. See follow up post

Steve B.
Old September 3rd 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

> We have a 1997 Mercury Voyager minivan with a 3.0 engine and about
>66,000 original miles. The van willl occasionally stall on the
>highway...the engine surges once or twice and then shuts down at
>highway speeds. We coast to a stop and pull off the highway, wait five
>minutes or so and then it starts up and runs normally. Is this is common
>problem for this van? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

I saw in your other post that this is a Mercury Villager. The
Villager has a somewhat common problem with the photo optics in the
distributor getting dirty and causing all sorts of strange problems
like this. The bearing in the distributor also likes to konk out
causing weird problems as well. As other posters have already
pointed out this could also be a fuel issue or any of a gazillion
other things as well.

If you don't plan to fix the issue yourself I would take it to a
Nissan dealer (the Villager is a rebadged Nissan Quest) as they see a
lot more of this engine and might be more familiar with its quirks.

Steve B.
Old September 3rd 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Highly probable. No sense in speculating about a problem with a
hall-effect sensor if the vehicle actually uses an optical sensor for
that function.

No use talking about a MAP sensor unless it does indeed have a
speed-density system instead of a mass flow system.

No sense talking about a distributor if the engine in question has
distributorless ignition.

No use talking about a fuel pressure regulator unless there's one in
the system.

Need I go on?