Alive and well?

Old November 21st 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

Default Alive and well?

http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/

> I've a couple more hundred images buried away.
>
> Good to hear from you!

Can't see your link ...

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /chris/ on this server. "

Interesting 'tog' history you have there, would love to see some of the
old shots !

So sad about your Mother, and Mothers day

Rich
Old November 21st 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
tricky > wrote:

> On 21/11/11 01:05, John J Stafford wrote:
> > In >,
> > > wrote:

> >> Hi John
> >>
> >> Good luck with the gallery
> >>
> >> What kind of photography are you into ? Do you have a Flickr or Deviant
> >> account ?
> >>
> >> I am just getting started. Got my 1st camera a couple of years ago, now
> >> I am building my own dark room !
> >>
> >> Rich

> > Rich, my first career, other than military service, was as a daily
> > newspaper photographer in Chicago, and then a photojournalist in the
> > city. I still make photographs but have not shown any for over
> > twenty-five years.
> >
> > The most recent picture I took was at my Mother's funeral rites. She
> > died on Mothers' day this year. Here is my favorite picture (reduced for
> > web presentation)

http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/

> > I've a couple more hundred images buried away.
> >
> > Good to hear from you!

> Can't see your link ...

http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/ashes-s.jpg

And thank you for your kind words, Rich.

Old November 22nd 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 21/11/11 23:29, John J Stafford wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 21/11/11 01:05, John J Stafford wrote:
>>> In >,

>>> Rich, my first career, other than military service, was as a daily
>>> newspaper photographer in Chicago, and then a photojournalist in the
>>> city. I still make photographs but have not shown any for over
>>> twenty-five years.
>>>
>>> The most recent picture I took was at my Mother's funeral rites. She
>>> died on Mothers' day this year. Here is my favorite picture (reduced for
>>> web presentation)

http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/

>>> I've a couple more hundred images buried away.
>>>
>>> Good to hear from you!

>> Can't see your link ...

> http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/ashes-s.jpg
>
> And thank you for your kind words, Rich.

Nice image.

Strong and well composed. Very fitting for the subject,

Is there any HDR processing ? It looks a bit tonemapped, but that
wouldn't work with the moving ashes ?

Rich
Old November 23rd 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
tricky > wrote:

> > http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/ashes-s.jpg
> >
> > And thank you for your kind words, Rich.

> Nice image.
>
> Strong and well composed. Very fitting for the subject,
>
> Is there any HDR processing ? It looks a bit tonemapped, but that
> wouldn't work with the moving ashes ?
>
> Rich

No HDR, but I did use photoshop-curves and a bit of masking. It was shot
at 1/4000th of a second. Single image.

If I can help with information about the darkroom, just let me know. It
is apt for us ACVW people to do wet processing. I use two enlargers: one
for 35mm to 6x10cm film (Focomat IIa) and a hybrid for large format (to
4x5). Have an 8x10" film enlarger, too, but I have no place to put it -
it is a Saltzman and stands 15' high! (Weighs about 1,1000 pounds). Whew!

BTW, I lived in Oxford, England for a few years, long ago. I miss it!

..
Old November 23rd 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky[_2_]

On 23/11/11 15:28, John J Stafford wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> http://www.digoliardi.net/chris/ashes-s.jpg
>>>
>>> And thank you for your kind words, Rich.

>> Nice image.
>>
>> Strong and well composed. Very fitting for the subject,
>>
>> Is there any HDR processing ? It looks a bit tonemapped, but that
>> wouldn't work with the moving ashes ?
>>
>> Rich

> No HDR, but I did use photoshop-curves and a bit of masking. It was shot
> at 1/4000th of a second. Single image.
>
> If I can help with information about the darkroom, just let me know. It
> is apt for us ACVW people to do wet processing. I use two enlargers: one
> for 35mm to 6x10cm film (Focomat IIa) and a hybrid for large format (to
> 4x5). Have an 8x10" film enlarger, too, but I have no place to put it -
> it is a Saltzman and stands 15' high! (Weighs about 1,1000 pounds). Whew!
>
> BTW, I lived in Oxford, England for a few years, long ago. I miss it!
>
> .

Thanks for the offer to help .. I might take you up on that

I have a couple of 35mm enlargers.
For 120 I have to use my scanner at the moment.
I can scan upto about 7 x 9" . I've also had some success digitzing
using my digital camera and a light box.

I'm making an 8x10 field camera from scratch.

I'd like to get at least a 4 x 5 enlarger, but definitely dont have room
for a 8x10 15' monster !

My darkroom is set up enough to get prints done up to 12" x 16", but I
dont have running water or drainage yet, so it's all buckets and
containers for now.

I live in Coventry. About 60 miles north of Oxford.
Old November 23rd 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
tricky > wrote:

> I'm making an 8x10 field camera from scratch.

Consider joining us at:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/filmliv...st_its_undead/

One member, Rafa, has done that, too.

Coventry is a great place. I used to go to a great jazz club there. And
seeing the ruins of St. Michaelšs was just what I needed to experience
as a young man. After that, I set off to see Verdun. Chilling stuff.
Old November 26th 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
KWW[_2_]

On 11/16/2011 5:26 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
> It has been a long, long time since I last visited here.
>
> Update: I sold the pristine '72 to a friend in need. I still have
> Micah's '58 and it is still looking good. Oh, and I still have the
> f*ucked up engine Jake Raby so9ld me eons ago - it is in storage along
> with the GTII-e.

What was wrong with the Raby engine? First negative thing I have
heard... is it specific to the size/configuration, a fluke QC issue that
was not fixed to your satisfaction, or a general issue with his
products? I had always wished for a type 4 souped up engine as an
answer to the problem running through my head as a teenager: how to
reenforce the cylinder studs so that they would not pull out. I was
trying to think whether there might be a way to put a steel plate inside
the case either along each side (running fore to aft in the engine as it
sits in the car), a threaded band around the outside of the case into
which the studs would thread, or as a loop around the case to hold the 2
sides together.... but one would almost have to slice into the webbing,
etc. A beefier type 4 case seemed like a cool solution.
KWW

Old November 26th 11, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
KWW > wrote:

> On 11/16/2011 5:26 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
> > It has been a long, long time since I last visited here.
> >
> > Update: I sold the pristine '72 to a friend in need. I still have
> > Micah's '58 and it is still looking good. Oh, and I still have the
> > f*ucked up engine Jake Raby so9ld me eons ago - it is in storage along
> > with the GTII-e.

> What was wrong with the Raby engine? First negative thing I have
> heard... is it specific to the size/configuration, a fluke QC issue that
> was not fixed to your satisfaction, or a general issue with his
> products?

Probably a fluke or something having to do with the fact that it was his
first Nicklesil cylinder engine. It also has roller-rockers. It has
backfired badly from day-one. I've about given up on it.
Old November 26th 11, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
David Gravereaux

On 11/16/2011 03:26 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
> Oh, and I still have the
> f*ucked up engine Jake Raby so9ld me eons ago - it is in storage along
> with the GTII-e.

oil fire if I remember right? My Raby motor is in storage as well.
Water damage to the cylinders/valve seats from dew drips down the
intake. In the last five years I just can't seem to set aside $2K for
some nickies :/

Old November 28th 11, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J Stafford[_2_]

In article >,
David Gravereaux > wrote:

> On 11/16/2011 03:26 PM, John J Stafford wrote:
> > Oh, and I still have the
> > f*ucked up engine Jake Raby so9ld me eons ago - it is in storage along
> > with the GTII-e.

> oil fire if I remember right? My Raby motor is in storage as well.
> Water damage to the cylinders/valve seats from dew drips down the
> intake. In the last five years I just can't seem to set aside $2K for
> some nickies :/

No. It was bad from day-one. The oil fire caused no damage because I hit
the kill switch immediately so no engine movement occurred, and the fire
was contained to the offending oil line and put out quickly.

$2K is worth it if you spend lots more on other engine refinements. I've
got $10,000 into that damned engine.

..

Dead or Alive????? LG VW water cooled 5 January 23rd 10 12:14 AM
Ramva is alive again! Jan Andersson[_4_] VW air cooled 37 August 11th 09 12:58 AM
My Blue 73 SB is alive again. David Gravereaux VW air cooled 11 August 21st 08 05:44 PM
She is lucky to be alive Skip Elliott Bowman Driving 7 March 30th 05 02:22 AM
CMR2 still alive? V_e_s_a Simulators 2 November 12th 04 07:39 AM