A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Corvette
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Time for tire

Old April 22nd 09, 05:32 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

body { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } p { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } ..standout { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #993333; line-height: 13px; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 10px; } ..code { border-top: 1px solid #ddd; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid #000; border-bottom: 2px solid #000; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: #ffffea; color: black; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } ..codedark { border-top: 10px solid #03f; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid grey; border-bottom: 2px solid grey; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: black; color: yellow; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } #code { color: black; font-size: 14px; font-family: courier; padding-left: 5px; } #line-number { color: #804000; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; padding-right: 5px; border-right: 1px dotted #804000; } blockquote[type=cite] { padding: 0em .5em .5em .5em !important; border-right: 2px solid blue !important; border-left: 2px solid blue !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid maroon !important; border-left: 2px solid maroon !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid teal !important; border-left: 2px solid teal !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid purple !important; border-left: 2px solid purple !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid green !important; border-left: 2px solid green !important; } 2008 Corvette. TIme for me to get a new set of tires. Where's a good, inexpensive place to go? While I know they are expensive I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg or a lot more than I need to. I don't need racing tires but I don't want shoddy ones either.

Also, ever since I got my car the breaks squeak. I've been back to the dealer a few times and once he cut the rotors and it stopped squeaking - for a few days but then it returned. Am I right to insist that an expensive car such as this should not have squeaky brakes?

Finally, as you may know the clear top has an issue with making noises too at the place where it connects in the front. GM has a fix for this and the dealer implemented the fix. Yet the squeaks remain. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't just use some felt strip to eliminate such squeaking. Anybody know of a fix.

Thanks.

--
Andrew DeFaria
Never argue with a fool; he will soon beat you with his experience.

Ads
Old April 22nd 09, 06:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

Firestone has a run flat at a good price, front $210, rear $295.

Never had a brake noise problem on the C6 but did on the Chevy truck I drive. Went to Powerslot rotors and haven't had a problem since. Soft pads may be the answer since OEM in most cases are rather hard, easy change.

My top, tinted, has never made a noise except when I might be in a hard twist getting into a sloped driveway. The problem you have may have a fix if the reason can be pin pointed, such as adjustment issues, a bad latch, or maybe even bad installation of the weather stripping. That you're going to need a good body man at your dealer or a competent independent. Myself it would never get back to the dealer for that and I would take the time to figure it out and fix it myself. Most of the time the problem will identify itself by the chaffing marks it leaves.

Good luck.
"Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message ...
2008 Corvette. TIme for me to get a new set of tires. Where's a good, inexpensive place to go? While I know they are expensive I don't want to have to spend an arm and a leg or a lot more than I need to. I don't need racing tires but I don't want shoddy ones either.

Also, ever since I got my car the breaks squeak. I've been back to the dealer a few times and once he cut the rotors and it stopped squeaking - for a few days but then it returned. Am I right to insist that an expensive car such as this should not have squeaky brakes?

Finally, as you may know the clear top has an issue with making noises too at the place where it connects in the front. GM has a fix for this and the dealer implemented the fix. Yet the squeaks remain. For the life of me I don't understand why they don't just use some felt strip to eliminate such squeaking. Anybody know of a fix.

Thanks.

--
Andrew DeFaria
Never argue with a fool; he will soon beat you with his experience.
Old April 23rd 09, 02:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

I had a lot of brake squeak on my 2004 Z06. Back up aggressively and hit the brakes. But they still squeak. Notice how fast they rust after you wash the car and don't drive it? But, heh, that's the way it goes if you drive a performance car. The Cadalic doesn't squeak, but doesn't stop as fast.

That said, my 2008 Z doesn't squeak as much. Some times it'll squeak a little and I ride the brakes a little and it goes away. I would have to ask how often do you drive the car and do you brake hard once in a while?

Ed
Old April 23rd 09, 05:11 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

body { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } p { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } ..standout { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #993333; line-height: 13px; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 10px; } ..code { border-top: 1px solid #ddd; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid #000; border-bottom: 2px solid #000; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: #ffffea; color: black; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } ..codedark { border-top: 10px solid #03f; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid grey; border-bottom: 2px solid grey; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: black; color: yellow; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } #code { color: black; font-size: 14px; font-family: courier; padding-left: 5px; } #line-number { color: #804000; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; padding-right: 5px; border-right: 1px dotted #804000; } blockquote[type=cite] { padding: 0em .5em .5em .5em !important; border-right: 2px solid blue !important; border-left: 2px solid blue !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid maroon !important; border-left: 2px solid maroon !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid teal !important; border-left: 2px solid teal !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid purple !important; border-left: 2px solid purple !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid green !important; border-left: 2px solid green !important; } Dad wrote: #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net { } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net p { } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net .standout { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; margin-bottom: 10px; color: rgb(153, 51, 51); line-height: 13px; font-family: verdana,arial,sans-serif; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net .code { border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(0, 0, 0) rgb(0, 0, 0) rgb(221, 221, 221); border-width: 1px 2px 2px 1px; padding: 10px; background: rgb(255, 255, 234) none repeat scroll 0%; margin-top: 5px; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; margin-left: 5%; color: black; margin-right: 5%; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net .codedark { border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(0, 51, 255) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color rgb(221, 221, 221); border-width: 10px 2px 2px 1px; padding: 10px; background: black none repeat scroll 0%; margin-top: 5px; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; margin-left: 5%; color: yellow; margin-right: 5%; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net #code { padding-left: 5px; font-size: 14px; color: black; font-family: courier; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net #line-number { border-right: 1px dotted rgb(128, 64, 0); padding-right: 5px; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(128, 64, 0); font-family: Arial; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid blue; border-right: 2px solid blue; padding: 0em 0.5em 0.5em ! important; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid maroon; border-right: 2px solid maroon; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid teal; border-right: 2px solid teal; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid purple; border-right: 2px solid purple; } #mid_oKqdnaxqVeidzXLUnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid green; border-right: 2px solid green; }

Firestone has a run flat at a good price, front $210, rear $295.

I'll have to look into that. Got a model number by chance?

Never had a brake noise problem on the C6 but did on the Chevy truck I drive. Went to Powerslot rotors and haven't had a problem since. Soft pads may be the answer since OEM in most cases are rather hard, easy change.

My top, tinted, has never made a noise except when I might be in a hard twist getting into a sloped driveway. The problem you have may have a fix if the reason can be pin pointed, such as adjustment issues, a bad latch, or maybe even bad installation of the weather stripping. That you're going to need a good body man at your dealer or a competent independent. Myself it would never get back to the dealer for that and I would take the time to figure it out and fix it myself. Most of the time the problem will identify itself by the chaffing marks it leaves.

Unlike you I'm not mechanically inclined. GM actually has a documented fix for this but as I said, that was applied and it didn't fix it. The only reason I gave the dealer a crack at it was because I had the car in for other warrantee work anyway. He didn't charge me for the fix but then again he hasn't fixed it yet either.

--
Andrew DeFaria
Why do we play in recitals and recite in plays?

Old April 23rd 09, 05:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

body { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } p { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } ..standout { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #993333; line-height: 13px; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 10px; } ..code { border-top: 1px solid #ddd; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid #000; border-bottom: 2px solid #000; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: #ffffea; color: black; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } ..codedark { border-top: 10px solid #03f; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid grey; border-bottom: 2px solid grey; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: black; color: yellow; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } #code { color: black; font-size: 14px; font-family: courier; padding-left: 5px; } #line-number { color: #804000; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; padding-right: 5px; border-right: 1px dotted #804000; } blockquote[type=cite] { padding: 0em .5em .5em .5em !important; border-right: 2px solid blue !important; border-left: 2px solid blue !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid maroon !important; border-left: 2px solid maroon !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid teal !important; border-left: 2px solid teal !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid purple !important; border-left: 2px solid purple !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid green !important; border-left: 2px solid green !important; } spud wrote:

I had a lot of brake squeak on my 2004 Z06.   Back up aggressively and hit the brakes.   But they still squeak.  Notice how fast they rust after you wash the car and don't drive it?     But, heh, that's the way it goes if you drive a performance car.   The Cadalic doesn't squeak, but doesn't stop as fast.

That said, my 2008 Z doesn't squeak as much.   Some times it'll squeak a little and I ride the brakes a little and it goes away.  I would have to ask how often do you drive the car and do you brake hard once in a while?

It's my daily ride. And no I don't intentionally brake hard. Riding the brakes does not make it go away for me. It seems to happen at a certain speed, generally when slowing down from like 40 MPH - 5 MPH that it comes on for that time period.

--
Andrew DeFaria
One of the great tragedies of life is the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of brutal facts. - Benjamin Franklin

Old April 23rd 09, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

On Apr 22, 9:11*pm, Andrew DeFaria > wrote:
> Dad wrote:Firestone has a run flat at a good price, front $210, rear $295..

I tried firestone.com which redirected me to bridgetonetire.com and
plugged in 2008 Chevy Corvette and got
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...tible+Fron t:

We're sorry, we don't currently produce a tire that matches your
vehicle's original equipment tire size, load range and speed rating
combination.
Old April 23rd 09, 11:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

Tirerack.com search for C6 matched pairs, second page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...ayResult s=10

"Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message
On Apr 22, 9:11 pm, Andrew DeFaria > wrote:
> Dad wrote:Firestone has a run flat at a good price, front $210, rear
> $295.

I tried firestone.com which redirected me to bridgetonetire.com and
plugged in 2008 Chevy Corvette and got
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...tible+Fron t:

We're sorry, we don't currently produce a tire that matches your
vehicle's original equipment tire size, load range and speed rating
combination.

Old April 24th 09, 08:25 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

body { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } p { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } ..standout { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #993333; line-height: 13px; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 10px; } ..code { border-top: 1px solid #ddd; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid #000; border-bottom: 2px solid #000; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: #ffffea; color: black; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } ..codedark { border-top: 10px solid #03f; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid grey; border-bottom: 2px solid grey; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: black; color: yellow; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } #code { color: black; font-size: 14px; font-family: courier; padding-left: 5px; } #line-number { color: #804000; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; padding-right: 5px; border-right: 1px dotted #804000; } blockquote[type=cite] { padding: 0em .5em .5em .5em !important; border-right: 2px solid blue !important; border-left: 2px solid blue !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid maroon !important; border-left: 2px solid maroon !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid teal !important; border-left: 2px solid teal !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid purple !important; border-left: 2px solid purple !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid green !important; border-left: 2px solid green !important; } Dad wrote: Tirerack.com search for C6 matched pairs, second page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?RunFlat=All&rearWidth=2 85%2F&rearDiameter=19&rearRatio=35&fro ntWidth=245%2F&frontDiameter=18&frontRatio =40&frontSortCode=54000&rearSortCode=57950 &compareList=&compare=true&goWhere=%25 2Ftires%252FCompareTireResults.jsp&newCompare= true&autoMake=Chevrolet&aut oModel=Corvette+C6+Coupe&autoYear=2005&aut oModClar=Performance+Handling+Package&vehicleS earch=true&minLoad=LL&minSpeedRating=Z&amp ;speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_ratin g=Y&speed_rating=%28Y%29&startIndex=10&amp ;sortValue=1&filterType=all&resultsNumberS elected=Y&displayResults=10 Thanks. But it certainly says something when one cannot easily find such a thing on the manufacture's site themselves!!! Almost makes me not want to shop there...

--
Andrew DeFaria
Are the kids on the Barney Show just too damn happy?

Old April 24th 09, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

Company and personal web page design is still more of a "see what I can do" than it is about the customer/viewer. Those with movies, useless colors like dark backgrounds, 101 complex sponsors logos, massive amounts of changing graphics, multiple layers just to find the smallest amount of useful information, are resource hogs and annoying. Most of the time if I attempt to load a page that goes blank with the little indicator telling me to "wait while it loads", that adds more resource use, I don't, and go somewhere else to get what I want. Tire Rack is on the edge of usefulness but then they deal with a tremendous amount of products and are by far the best game in town and often have a good price. Your experience with Firestone is typical of large companies that pay a geek to make a lavish homepage that says nothing and takes forever to load. Somehow they, GM is one big offender, still don't get it that the person logging onto their web page isn't there for a show but to get in, get what they want, and get out. (Rant off)

If you switch to the Fierstone let us know what you think of them. I need rear tires but I'm hesitant to make a brand change for one axle. I did notice that the Goodyear Supercar EMT had gone down $20 each when I looked at for Firestone and may still go with them for $100 more each.
"Andrew DeFaria" > wrote in message ...
Dad wrote:
Tirerack.com search for C6 matched pairs, second page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=Chevrolet&aut oModel=Corvette+C6+Coupe&autoYear=2005&autoModClar =Performance+Handling+Package&vehicleSearch=true&m inLoad=LL&minSpeedRating=Z&speed_rating=Z&speed_ra ting=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=%28Y%29&startIn dex=10&sortValue=1&filterType=all&resultsNumberSel ected=Y&displayResults=10
Thanks. But it certainly says something when one cannot easily find such a thing on the manufacture's site themselves!!! Almost makes me not want to shop there...

--
Andrew DeFaria
Old April 25th 09, 06:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Andrew DeFaria
external usenet poster

Default Time for tire

body { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } p { font: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; } ..standout { font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; color: #993333; line-height: 13px; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 10px; } ..code { border-top: 1px solid #ddd; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid #000; border-bottom: 2px solid #000; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: #ffffea; color: black; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } ..codedark { border-top: 10px solid #03f; border-left: 1px solid #ddd; border-right: 2px solid grey; border-bottom: 2px solid grey; padding: 10px; margin-top: 5px; margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%; background: black; color: yellow; -moz-border-radius: 10px; } #code { color: black; font-size: 14px; font-family: courier; padding-left: 5px; } #line-number { color: #804000; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px; padding-right: 5px; border-right: 1px dotted #804000; } blockquote[type=cite] { padding: 0em .5em .5em .5em !important; border-right: 2px solid blue !important; border-left: 2px solid blue !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid maroon !important; border-left: 2px solid maroon !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid teal !important; border-left: 2px solid teal !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid purple !important; border-left: 2px solid purple !important; } blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] blockquote[type=cite] { border-right: 2px solid green !important; border-left: 2px solid green !important; } Dad wrote: #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net { } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net p { } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net .standout { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; margin-bottom: 10px; color: rgb(153, 51, 51); line-height: 13px; font-family: verdana,arial,sans-serif; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net .code { border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(0, 0, 0) rgb(0, 0, 0) rgb(221, 221, 221); border-width: 1px 2px 2px 1px; padding: 10px; background: rgb(255, 255, 234) none repeat scroll 0%; margin-top: 5px; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; margin-left: 5%; color: black; margin-right: 5%; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net .codedark { border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(0, 51, 255) -moz-use-text-color -moz-use-text-color rgb(221, 221, 221); border-width: 10px 2px 2px 1px; padding: 10px; background: black none repeat scroll 0%; margin-top: 5px; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; margin-left: 5%; color: yellow; margin-right: 5%; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net #code { padding-left: 5px; font-size: 14px; color: black; font-family: courier; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net #line-number { border-right: 1px dotted rgb(128, 64, 0); padding-right: 5px; font-size: 14px; color: rgb(128, 64, 0); font-family: Arial; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid blue; border-right: 2px solid blue; padding: 0em 0.5em 0.5em ! important; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid maroon; border-right: 2px solid maroon; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid teal; border-right: 2px solid teal; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid purple; border-right: 2px solid purple; } #mid_joCdnUuoU4bsJWzUnZ2dnUVZ_iydnZ2d_bright_net unknown { border-left: 2px solid green; border-right: 2px solid green; }

Company and personal web page design is still more of a "see what I can do" than it is about the customer/viewer.

Not for what I consider professional companies. Check out such sites as Netflix, Mint.com, the ubuntuforums, Amazon.com, et al. Professional companies get professional web designers, graphic artists and programmers. They realize that to not have a good web site is one way to lose customers.

Those with movies, useless colors like dark backgrounds, 101 complex sponsors logos, massive amounts of changing graphics, multiple layers just to find the smallest amount of useful information, are resource hogs and annoying.

Two words - Firefox, AdBlock+.

Most of the time if I attempt to load a page that goes blank with the little indicator telling me to "wait while it loads", that adds more resource use, I don't, and go somewhere else to get what I want. Tire Rack is on the edge of usefulness but then they deal with a tremendous amount of products and are by far the best game in town and often have a good price. Your experience with Firestone is typical of large companies that pay a geek to make a lavish homepage that says nothing and takes forever to load.

Being that I'm in the business, being that I work for fortune 500 companies, being that I do web page design on occasion (and would never call myself a professional nor necessarily good web design as it's more of a side gig to me) I can attest that large companies rarely, if ever, pay a geek to make a lavish homepage, rather they resort to their IT department and coders and let them, en masse, attempt to put something together. It's much more an attitude, usually from marketing, that a web site is a marketing tool not a way to actually process sales and orders.

Somehow they, GM is one big offender, still don't get it that the person logging onto their web page isn't there for a show but to get in, get what they want, and get out. (Rant off)

I think it's more that brick and mortar places like GM and Firestone view their websites as advertising vehicles where the customers need to get into the showroom/shop not where they could place orders, get help, etc and then come into the showroom/shop...

If you switch to the Fierstone let us know what you think of them. I need rear tires but I'm hesitant to make a brand change for one axle. I did notice that the Goodyear Supercar EMT had gone down $20 each when I looked at for Firestone and may still go with them for $100 more each.

I'm headed out later today to pick up the Firestones. It might take a little while to form an opinion of their performance...

"Andrew DeFaria" <> wrote in message ...

Dad wrote: Tirerack.com search for C6 matched pairs, second page.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?RunFlat=All&rearWidth=2 85%2F&rearDiameter=19&rearRatio=35&fro ntWidth=245%2F&frontDiameter=18&frontRatio =40&frontSortCode=54000&rearSortCode=57950 &compareList=&compare=true&goWhere=%25 2Ftir es%252FCompareTireResults.jsp&newCompare=true& amp;autoMake=Chevrolet&aut oModel=Corvette+C6+Coupe&autoYear=2005&aut oModClar=Performance+Handling+Package&vehicleS earch=true&minLoad=LL&minSpeedRating=Z&amp ;speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_ratin g=Y&speed_rating=%28Y%29&startIndex=10&amp ;sortValue=1&filterType=all&resultsNumberS elected=Y&displayResults=10 Thanks. But it certainly says something when one cannot easily find such a thing on the manufacture's site themselves!!! Almost makes me not want to shop there...

--
Andrew DeFaria