Best rFactor mods?

Old November 9th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

Default Best rFactor mods?

I'm on another sabbatical away from iRacing and, as usual, find myself messing
about with all my other sims looking for a bit of stress-free, offline AI racing to
scratch the racing itch.

LFS is out because the AI is shockingly poor. GT Evo has failed to grow on me even
though it probably offers the best rendition of the 'Ring so far. The AI's good,
but the driving leaves me unsatisfied.

So I found myself back at rfactor for the first time since getting my triplehead
setup working, and actually had some fun messing about it in the Sauber F1 car...
on a superspeedway, then the 'Ring. So I thought I'd go exploring RSC and assorted
sites in search of mod recommendations. But with so many to choose from (and they
can't all be great!) I wondered if anyone here had trawled through a lot of mods
and found anything particularly satisfying to drive recently.

Andrew McP

Old November 10th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(GaryR) wrote:

> I like the rFactor Porsche 997 Cup mod

http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=PCC%202007

Thanks. I've installed it now, and it's definitely a *very* well executed mod. I
would, however, say that -- like all other rFactor vehicles -- it falls short of
making me feel anywhere near as 'connected' to the track as iRacing does. Reading
around it seems to be a well respected mod though. I think I'll persevere with it
for a while and see if I can learn to connect my brain to the track.

I also added one of the recent Nordschleife tracks and was very impressed indeed!
http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm...chleife%202007
That seems in some ways better than the Evo version, which had definitely become my
favourite until now. I need to learn the new part of the circuit though... I got
completely confused. :-)

> Ever try Race 07? I found it excellent right
> out of the box for offline racing.

Ah, you see now you've gone and made me wonder whether I can trust you. ;-)

I disliked the Race07 demo. Again there was no connection to the tarmac for me. So
I only bought it in order to add GTR Evo, which I hoped would inject some life into
the experience. Sadly, although I enjoy the overall product as a racing experience,
and enjoy their version of the 'Ring a lot, I struggle to feel how the cars I'm sat
in are connected to the track.

How to explain this? In iRacing I can very easily suspend my disbelief... I simply
feel like I'm driving a real vehicle. In other sims I always feel like I'm driving
by remote control. The vehicles behave realistically, but I don't feel I'm in the
seat in anything like the same way iRacing manages to convey.

Again I return to my boring theme... iRacing has ruined me. :-) I can have the
driving experience I long for in an online sim experience I don't care for, or the
offline sim experience I want without the driving experience I now demand!

Life is, as ever, cruel. :-) I started off the Skip Barber Liberation Front as a
joke on iRacing to wrap around my recent movie. But I think I'm serious now... I
won't be happy until the Skip Barber is liberated from iRacing and put into a sim I
can enjoy offline as well as on.

I may be in for a very, very, very long wait indeed!

Andrew McP

PS I should start a Paypal collection site. I reckon I could get enough small
contributions from you lot to keep me subscribed to iRacing forever. At least then
you'd be spared my repeated public whining. I could whinge there instead. But
that's no fun. In iRacing space, no-one else can hear you scream! ;-)
Old November 10th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

Try the BMW E21 320 sometime, these cars are a blast and provide some
good, close online racing (ok offline, too). Come join us on our
"Screamers Open Practise" server sometime so that we can begin the
recruiting process ;-) We currently run the Watkins Glen 70years
Historical track, should be an interesting race.

Has anyone tried running 15-18 drivers on this track online? It looks
like the pitlane is a bit short of pitboxes...

All the best, Uwe

Old November 10th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Andrew -
Just do a 1 year subscription and be done with it!! It only hurts
once, you get a substantial rebate in iRacing dollars to buy tracks
and cars with (or toward the next year), and you can forget about it
until 11/09!

You obviously won't be happy until you do..

As for Race 07, I should have been more specific. The feel of my
Logitech wheel was just right without messing with anything, the game
itself is just ok.. rFactor has the best online play IMO, and seems to
have tte most cars and tracks available.

Now you can trust me again.. ;-)

GP

Old November 10th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

Old November 12th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

Off topic,

AP, do you know of a sport over there called Trials, or Observed trials? It
is a sport done with Motorcycles... (to be frank Im not sure where 'over
there' is, as I conjure up to many assumptions when you say pounds when I
say dollars, LOL. and tanked as in how much? (ok I can Google and check
myself, but tell me...) As it was just over 2 dollars to a pound when I
ordered my motorcycle that comes from Spain, 3 months ago.

Old November 15th 08, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr. Sylvestre

Andrew,

The Lotus Elan from the Historic GT & Touring cars mod is my current (i
mean, this week's) favourite. Great on tracks such as Varano, Livet
Glen, Barber Motorsports, Oulton Park, Eastern Creek Laser or Mid-Ohio.
I recently rediscovered a version of the 'ring which seems really good
graphically and fps-wise (Nordschleife The Ring 2007 2.20a on rFC).

Regards
Mr. Sylvestre.

BTW, I hate your iRacing movies. My credit card is getting dangerously
close to a first iRacing subscription despite the fact that I am not
much into online racing and I am not too enthusiastic about their
business model either.