First oil change?

Old March 30th 05, 06:07 PM
TF

Default First oil change?

Mileage?
Oil?

Dealer says synthetic, but isn't that non detergent?
Non detergent leaves dirt buildup inside block.

Thanks,
TF

Old March 30th 05, 11:18 PM
RicSeyler

Stay with synthetic!!!!!
The tolerances and clearances of the engine are specifically
designed for the weight and viscosity of synthetic oils....

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old March 30th 05, 11:44 PM
Dad

"RicSeyler" > wrote in message
> Stay with synthetic!!!!!
> The tolerances and clearances of the engine are specifically
> designed for the weight and viscosity of synthetic oils....
>
> TF wrote:
>
>>Mileage?
>>Oil?
>>
>>Dealer says synthetic, but isn't that non detergent?
>>Non detergent leaves dirt buildup inside block.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>TF

Wow, a non detergent synthetic oil, what they won't come up with next. The
last scare was that it cleaned out the motor so much that the seals leaked.
My head hurts, I just can't keep up.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 31st 05, 01:54 AM
Tom Howlin

TF wrote:
> Mileage?
> Oil?
>
> Dealer says synthetic, but isn't that non detergent?
> Non detergent leaves dirt buildup inside block.
>
> Thanks,
> TF

Dealer, manufacturer, owners manual, other owners, clubs, etc. all say
synthetic so why would you consider anything different. Mobil 1 (as it
comes from the factory) 5/30, every 5,000 miles IMHO. Don't listen to
the oil monitor system if you drive conservatively as it will take you
10 to 15K miles between changes because it measure rpms and oil temp as
its two primary inputs. Don't do the initial oil change any earlier
than 3K or you are simply wasting oil and not disposing of all the
particulate matter that gets shed during break in.

Tom
05 Mag Red

Old March 31st 05, 08:03 AM
TF

But what is in it at the factory?
The dealer says I should switch to synthetic, which means they didn't put it
in at the factory.
Why wouldn;t they?
Thanks,
TF

Old March 31st 05, 04:52 PM
Bob G.

>If you are NOT driving (often) in excesssively COLD OR DUSTY
>conditions, I would follow the DIC - the FACTORY engineers know what
>they are doing when it comes to recommending oil change intervals and
>all else is simply (typically) biased and/or personal opinions or
>'superstition' based on 'old wives tales' or 30 year old info/beliefs
>with no current scientific basis behind them.

===================
Honestly the Factory Engineers most likely Fudged the intraval they
recomend to meet the requirements of the marketing & legal types...

However I still belive in frequent oil changes... its only money and I
really enjoy tinkering with my cars... and changing oil is a labor of
love for me...

Easy to do...not expensive and it sure as hell beats "waxing"...
My "Toys" seldom see 1000 miles between oil changes..
Sure its overkill but the cars are after all my toys

Bob Griffiths
68 SS 396 Chevelle
64 & 72 Corvette Convertibles
76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes

Old March 31st 05, 05:14 PM
Dad

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:03:31 -0800, "TF" > wrote:

>But what is in it at the factory?
>The dealer says I should switch to synthetic, which means they didn't >put
>it in at the factory.
>Why wouldn;t they?
>Thanks,
>TF

The dealer never said such a thing. Chevrolet began putting Mobil 1 in the
LT1 in the 1992 model year and it has been in them every since that time.
Now Kmart or a quick change oil outlet may have told you that, but that
means you have to be capable of listening to someone and you can't. Look at
the oil fill cap, what does it say? Read your manual, what does it say?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 31st 05, 07:10 PM
RicSeyler

Then run screaming far away from that dealer. LOLOL
It came with Mobile 1........

TF wrote:

>But what is in it at the factory?
>The dealer says I should switch to synthetic, which means they didn't put it
>in at the factory.
>Why wouldn;t they?
>Thanks,
>TF

.. .

Old April 1st 05, 05:01 PM
TF

Actually, I think what they said was that everyone switches from Mobil to Penzoil.
What btrand synthetic should I use?

Are they all non-detergent?
Non-detergent oil leaves the dirt in the block.

Thank,
TF

Old April 1st 05, 09:34 PM
Bob I

Guess they would be wrong. I put Mobil 1 in all the vehicles even the
van, cause I can't be bothered to buy "special" oil just for it.