C4 GAS MILEAGE DISPLAY WRONG

Old April 6th 05, 01:31 PM
jimbo

Default C4 GAS MILEAGE DISPLAY WRONG

I have a 1991 C4 which displays the average mileage per gallon wrong. It is
always inflated. i.e. it will show 26 average when the true average is only
21. This is the fiorst time I have ever seen a car's computer average being
wrong. Is ther a sensro that needs replaced or???

Old April 6th 05, 03:42 PM
Bob G.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 07:31:41 -0500, "jimbo" >
wrote:

>I have a 1991 C4 which displays the average mileage per gallon wrong. It is
>always inflated. i.e. it will show 26 average when the true average is only
>21. This is the fiorst time I have ever seen a car's computer average being
>wrong. Is ther a sensro that needs replaced or???

Sorry I can not help you.... I have owned my 95 for close to 8 years
and to be truthful I never even used the gas milage function...

Bob Griffiths.
Old April 10th 05, 03:57 PM
Ed Berns

Have you changed wheel/tire sizes along the way? I think doing so could
throw off the sensor.

Ed B.

Old April 11th 05, 02:50 AM
Bob I

But the odometer comparably incorrect also, so the error would not show
up. I'm guessing the injectors were replaced with a larger size injector.

Old April 12th 05, 09:13 PM
jimbo

As far as I know the injectors have not been changed. Would be very
surprised if they had. Tires are original size and the speedometer seems to
be correct.

Old April 13th 05, 03:17 AM
Bob I

Then it may be one or more is leaking, so more fuel is being used than
the ECM is "injecting" thereby throwing it's calculation off.

jimbo wrote:
> As far as I know the injectors have not been changed. Would be very
> surprised if they had. Tires are original size and the speedometer seems to
> be correct.
>
> "Bob I" > wrote in message
>
>>But the odometer comparably incorrect also, so the error would not show
>>up. I'm guessing the injectors were replaced with a larger size injector.
>>
>>Ed Berns wrote:
>>
>>>Have you changed wheel/tire sizes along the way? I think doing so could
>>>throw off the sensor.
>>>
>>>Ed B.

. ..

Old April 16th 05, 04:53 AM
Jack Conley

another thought here is that the avg mpg is calculated from the very first
time it is activated. so it may be telling you that the avg mpg over the
past 14 yrs is 26 but not recently because your motor is not as fresh as it
used to be. i believe you can reset the display also by holding down the
button of so... look in the manual on how to reset the display then see if
the avg mpg is consistant with what you calculate by hand after the sensor
was reset. let me know what happens.