1992 Honda Accord EX 2.2 L pinging Does this car have knock sensor

Old May 16th 05, 03:32 AM
Mark

Default 1992 Honda Accord EX 2.2 L pinging Does this car have knock sensor

The car pings sometimes, sometimes not. I have retarded the timing a
bit by rotating the distributor. Seems a little better but still pings
sometimes.

Does this engine have a knock sensor?

Please don't answer unless you know for sure.

Its a US version (not California) 1992 Honda Accord EX 2.2 L with air
and auto transmission

thanks

Mark

Old May 16th 05, 07:47 PM
Dee

<< Consider trading your vehicle in on a Honda
> that has VTEC. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.) and love it--it
> does not have a pinging or knocking problem. >>

My 1994 VTEC pings quite a bit. It's worse since I had the timing belt
replaced a few weeks ago. Is pinging actually harmful, or just a nuisance?

Old May 17th 05, 01:06 AM
Jason

In article >, "Dee"
> wrote:

> << Consider trading your vehicle in on a Honda
> > that has VTEC. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.) and love it--it
> > does not have a pinging or knocking problem. >>

> My 1994 VTEC pings quite a bit. It's worse since I had the timing belt
> replaced a few weeks ago. Is pinging actually harmful, or just a nuisance?

It's harmful. Your knock sensor is probably not working. It's possible
that your timing needs to be adjusted.

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old May 17th 05, 01:52 AM
TeGGeR®

"Dee" > wrote in
:

> << Consider trading your vehicle in on a Honda
>> that has VTEC. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX (4 cyld.) and love
>> it--it does not have a pinging or knocking problem. >>

> My 1994 VTEC pings quite a bit. It's worse since I had the timing belt
> replaced a few weeks ago. Is pinging actually harmful, or just a
> nuisance?

It's bad. If severe enough, pinging can eat holes in pistons.

Either ignition timing or timing belt is wrong. Take it back.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 17th 05, 02:48 AM
Dee

I'll get that checked out asap. Thanks.

Old May 17th 05, 05:26 AM
Randolph

Dee wrote:

> My 1994 VTEC pings quite a bit. It's worse since I had the timing belt
> replaced a few weeks ago. Is pinging actually harmful, or just a nuisance?

What model car is this? I had the same experience with a '94 Civic
(D16Z6 engine, SOHC VTEC). Never a pinging problem until after replacing
the timing belt. Workaround was to use higher octane gas or retard the
timing a tad (late side of factory spec)

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph
Old May 17th 05, 05:30 PM
Dee

<< > What model car is this? I had the same experience with a '94 Civic
> (D16Z6 engine, SOHC VTEC). Never a pinging problem until after replacing
> the timing belt. Workaround was to use higher octane gas or retard the
> timing a tad (late side of factory spec) >>

1994 Accord EX, SOHC VTEC. Didn't get it to the shop this morning (been home
sick) but will take it by tomorrow. Right after I got it back (timing belt,
water pump, alternator belt) I took it by because the alternator belt was
raising hell. He told me to bring it in for anything else I want adjusted,
so I'm going to take him up on it. (Alternator belt finally got seated and
shut up.)
I thought about the gas. It's pretty empty right now, so maybe I'll put some
higher octane in it. This wouldn't compound matters if my timing's off,
would it?

Old May 17th 05, 09:20 PM
Grahame

I know this engine does not have a knock sensor, I have owned a 91 for 10
yrs now.
I am assuming you are using regular gas, if so this is normal with an older
engine, you might want to switch to a higher grade fuel. Also do not just
retard the timing without a timing light.

oups.com...

Old May 17th 05, 11:52 PM
Jason

In article >, "Grahame"
> wrote:

> I know this engine does not have a knock sensor, I have owned a 91 for 10
> yrs now.
> I am assuming you are using regular gas, if so this is normal with an older
> engine, you might want to switch to a higher grade fuel. Also do not just
> retard the timing without a timing light.

Grahame,
Great post. Keep up the good work. We now know why Honda is placing knock
sensors on their cars. They must have received thousands of complaints
from Honda owners in the 1980s and early 1990s that had knocking and
pinging problems. The knock sensors were the solution to the problem.
However, if the timing is off or the knock sensor is broken--pinging and
knocking problems happen.

Old May 18th 05, 02:25 AM
S.S.

Jason wrote:

> Great post. Keep up the good work. We now know why Honda is placing knock
> sensors on their cars. They must have received thousands of complaints
> from Honda owners in the 1980s and early 1990s that had knocking and
> pinging problems. The knock sensors were the solution to the problem.
> However, if the timing is off or the knock sensor is broken--pinging and
> knocking problems happen.

Sometimes cheap quality gasoline brands can contribute to pinging, and it
doesn't matter what octane you use. This happened with my '93 Accord.