FOLLOWUP: Fixed: 1995 Camaro - poor performance

Old September 21st 05, 02:22 AM
mst

Default FOLLOWUP: Fixed: 1995 Camaro - poor performance

Thought I might share my final fix for:
1995 Z28 Camaro - 350 V8, Engine Code 'P',
105,000 miles.

Overview: Coming back from Florida (to TX) my car
started to run poorly, plus some overheating. It
was sporadic - at times it would run okay, other
times it had almost ZERO power.

After limping home, I did some research and concluded
that it might possibly be the catalytic converter.
However, I thought i would do some other updates before
going that route:
* new plugs, wires, fuel filter, some Shell VPower
and some SeaFoam.

Voila! It's running fine now - must have been one
of those items - I figured it was fuel-related.

Two months pass and in the last two weeks, it starts
running like cr@p again. I check all the sensors,
injector ohm readings, and relays, and change out
the fuel regulator. I take it out for a spin and
while on the freeway, I cant get her over 40MPH and
the temp starts to climb. I coast off the freeway
and into a parking lot and have her towed to a
shop (I give up!).

I get the call the next day: "your catalytic converter
is clogged up". Turns out the converter was broken
itself, internally, as if it were a manufacturer
defect, which is why the car ran badly, then was okay,
then ran badly again.

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old September 21st 05, 10:08 AM

right on

Old September 21st 05, 07:10 PM
ed

any idea how it clogged?

Old September 21st 05, 07:14 PM
sdlomi2

"mst" > wrote in message
> Thought I might share my final fix for:
> 1995 Z28 Camaro - 350 V8, Engine Code 'P',
> 105,000 miles.
>
> Overview: Coming back from Florida (to TX) my car
> started to run poorly, plus some overheating. It
> was sporadic - at times it would run okay, other
> times it had almost ZERO power.
>
> After limping home, I did some research and concluded
> that it might possibly be the catalytic converter.
> However, I thought i would do some other updates before
> going that route:
> * new plugs, wires, fuel filter, some Shell VPower
> and some SeaFoam.
>
> Voila! It's running fine now - must have been one
> of those items - I figured it was fuel-related.
>
> Two months pass and in the last two weeks, it starts
> running like cr@p again. I check all the sensors,
> injector ohm readings, and relays, and change out
> the fuel regulator. I take it out for a spin and
> while on the freeway, I cant get her over 40MPH and
> the temp starts to climb. I coast off the freeway
> and into a parking lot and have her towed to a
> shop (I give up!).
>
> I get the call the next day: "your catalytic converter
> is clogged up". Turns out the converter was broken
> itself, internally, as if it were a manufacturer
> defect, which is why the car ran badly, then was okay,
> then ran badly again.
>
> --
> remove MYSHOES to email

Thanks for letting us know what u found. Often, we wonder if our
suggestion(s) was correct. s

Old September 21st 05, 11:16 PM
mst

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:10:13 -0400 "ed"
> wrote:

> any idea how it clogged?

Well, they wanted to investigate how it happened,
because if you dont fix the root problem, it can
happen again.

Upon investigation (ripping the cat open), it is
determined that it was an "internal failure".
Pieces were actually fractured internally and not
caused by improper fuel, spark, and so on.

--
remove MYSHOES to email