Enable DRL on 2005 US Spec CR-V?

Old October 29th 04, 07:13 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article <Isbgd.15001$df2.8703@edtnps89>, da says...
>"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message
>> >The opposite has been proven in other countries in the world to be true.

>> Other countries have smarter implementations of DRL's.

>In what way?

Very sharp cutoff of the beam pattern. High beams are not allowed to be
used as DRL's.
----------------
Alex

Old October 29th 04, 07:15 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Alex Rodriguez > wrote:
>Read the part about reducing light out put to European levels. Also it
>seems that only GM is stupid enough to use high beams as DRL's.

Toyota and BMW use high beams as DRLs in the US. A number of other
companies also use high beams as DRLs in Canada (for cars which are
not equipped with DRLs in the US). GM may have been pushing the
annoying high beam DRLs, but others are following.

Timothy J. Lee
Old October 30th 04, 04:29 AM
Brian Smith

"Timothy J. Lee" > wrote in message

> In many other countries, optional or mandatory DRLs must be white, and
> have a narrowly defined range of light intensity, in order to be effective
> as DRLs without creating too much glare in low light conditions.
>
> In the US and Canada, high beams which create too much glare in low light
> conditions (e.g. in the evening if the driver forgets to turn on the
> regular low beam headlamps) and turn signals which can give false signals
> if glanced at briefly (e.g. if the glance occurs when the signaling side
> is in the off phase) are commonly used as DRLs.

I agree with the parking lights being used as DRLs being a bad idea.
However, I don't find that the lower wattage output of the high beams, give
an extraordinary amount of glare back to the driver in low light or foggy or
snowy conditions.

--
Brian

Why don't they make cat flavoured dog food?

Old October 30th 04, 04:31 AM
Brian Smith

"Alex Rodriguez" > wrote in message

> Very sharp cutoff of the beam pattern. High beams are not allowed to be
> used as DRL's.

That's interesting. Do you realize that the majority of vehicles in Canada
are equipped with high beam (lower wattage output) DRLs?

Old November 8th 04, 05:09 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article <BUDgd.40004$9b.239@edtnps84>,
Brian Smith > wrote:
>I agree with the parking lights being used as DRLs being a bad idea.
>However, I don't find that the lower wattage output of the high beams, give
>an extraordinary amount of glare back to the driver in low light or foggy or
>snowy conditions.

Lower wattage high beams do get annoying to _other_ drivers when used in
overcast or near dusk conditions.

Timothy J. Lee
Old November 8th 04, 09:04 PM
Brian Smith

"Timothy J. Lee" > wrote in message

> Lower wattage high beams do get annoying to _other_ drivers when used in
> overcast or near dusk conditions.

To some people I suppose they would, but they don't bother me or anyone that
I know.

--
Brian
http://www.accesswave.ca/~orion

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.

Old November 8th 04, 10:01 PM
RWM

Timothy J. Lee wrote:
> In article <BUDgd.40004$9b.239@edtnps84>,
> Brian Smith > wrote:
>
>>I agree with the parking lights being used as DRLs being a bad idea.
>>However, I don't find that the lower wattage output of the high beams, give
>>an extraordinary amount of glare back to the driver in low light or foggy or
>>snowy conditions.

> Lower wattage high beams do get annoying to _other_ drivers when used in
> overcast or near dusk conditions.

Then again, some drivers are just plain annoying,
with or without DRLs, in overcast, dusk, or not.

2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle Audi 36 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle BMW 34 February 22nd 05 02:32 PM
2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 07:35 PM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM