This may very well be the dumbest question ever posted but here goes...

Old January 9th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default This may very well be the dumbest question ever posted but here goes...

I have an older BMW (1989 25is). My power steering is low. I have no idea
where to put new fluid under the hood. I see coolant, oil, transmission
fluid but where's the power steering? I don't want to put it in the wrong
place and all hell breaks loose. I don't have a manual as I bought the car
used.

Can anybody direct me to an under-the-hood diagram and let me know where the
power steering fluid goes?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old January 9th 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

http://www.bmwe34.net/

then join here, the best site for an '89
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Old January 9th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Leslie wrote:
> I have an older BMW (1989 25is). My power steering is low. I have no idea
> where to put new fluid under the hood. I see coolant, oil, transmission
> fluid but where's the power steering? I don't want to put it in the wrong
> place and all hell breaks loose. I don't have a manual as I bought the car
> used.
>
> Can anybody direct me to an under-the-hood diagram and let me know where the
> power steering fluid goes?
>
> It would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!

Well, there is a typo in your post as there was no 1989 25is, but I will
assume that you have a *3*25is since I know that the 525 came as a coupe
(the "s"), so...

This is what the the PS reservoir looks like on your car:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=32&fg=20

It should have a bunch of hoses hooked up between it and the PS pump.
That looks like this:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=32&fg=20

The lid for the reservoir should indicate what type of fluid you need
for your system.
--
-Fred W
Old January 9th 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

be sure you put the proper fluid, READ the reservoir lid carefully.... 11s
or 7s are the options I believe!

Old January 9th 06, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Yes, I do have a 325is. Thanks to all. And the power steering fluid I have
is leftover from the mechanic who put it in the last time so it has to be the
right kind.

Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Old January 9th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Leslie wrote:
> Yes, I do have a 325is. Thanks to all. And the power steering fluid I have
> is leftover from the mechanic who put it in the last time so it has to be the
> right kind.

Now that's what I call a rash assumption :-)

--
Regards

Steve G
Old January 10th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article <5a1df042b1d26@uwe>,
Leslie <u17443@uwe> wrote:
> And the power steering fluid I have is leftover from the mechanic who
> put it in the last time so it has to be the right kind.

Oh dear. ;-)

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 10th 06, 02:57 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I agree, CHECK FIRST!!!

Old January 10th 06, 12:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <5a1df042b1d26@uwe>,
> Leslie <u17443@uwe> wrote:
> > And the power steering fluid I have is leftover from the mechanic who
> > put it in the last time so it has to be the right kind.

> Oh dear. ;-)

What I want to know is how does he know that the fluid is low if he
doesn't know where the reservoir is?