E36 Blower motor resistor

Old June 29th 05, 02:33 AM
Bentley Bear

Default E36 Blower motor resistor

Can anyone confirm that the E36 (98 323is) does not have both of these
parts? is it an either or situation? I can not find the location of the
blower motor resistor. When I look where the manual and everone else says it
is supposed to be, I find the final stage unit.

This is what i bought first, and no these are not my auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3361 184&rd=1

but when I go to replace it I find this where its supposed to be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2944 589&rd=1

My climate control computer was already repaired and quit again (1 year) My
symptoms aren't like they were the 1st time. now the controls work and the
cc unit LED work, just no blower.

Old June 30th 05, 08:39 AM
Len Davis

I have just replaced the output stage on my 323 (UK) model. It took a long
time to find it. It was located in the passenger footwell, going into the
side of the blower unit (2 screws). and the one plug. I had to remove the
footwell heater ducting to even see the wiring going to it. These units on
ebay are obviously the same unit but for different cars as the plugs are
different. I suggest that you look at your old plug first before ordering.
Mine was the second one with 4 wires on a 5 pin plug, made by Bosch.
The symtoms that I had was that the aircon controller worked as nomal but
the blower just did not turn.
Mine is by the way a RHD UK model so I do not know if your unit will be in
the driver side footwell or not. Perhaps someone else could comment.
Len.

Old July 1st 05, 01:50 PM
Jon E

<snip>

> Mine is by the way a RHD UK model so I do not know if your unit will be in
> the driver side footwell or not. Perhaps someone else could comment.
> Len.

Len,

Where abouts did you get your replacement part? I also have a 98 323i and
the fan speed just has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it's fine, other times
just blows full no matter what the fan selector led says.

Many TIA

Jon

Old July 3rd 05, 08:21 AM
Len Davis

I got mine fron the local BMW agent part number,
B64.11.6.929.540
It cost about 80ukp.
My model has the dual control aircon unit
Sorry for the delay in answering but I have been away.
Len

Old July 3rd 05, 08:28 AM
Len Davis

By the way presuming that yours is the same as mine, black 5pin plug with 4
wires in, I think 2 thick and 2 thin.
Check 1 of the thin ones with a volt meter (negative to ground) and adjust
the blower control up and down, the voltage should go up and down as you
adjust it.
You should also have 12volts on 1 of the thick cables, if not a fuse or
relay might be faulty.
Hope this helps.
Len