Catalytic Converter thefts.

Old February 3rd 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Catalytic Converter thefts.

Watching local news on tv, some thieves are going around town the auto
junk yards and stealing catalytic converters.About a week ago, the same
news alert was on another local tv station news channel.I think the tv
news people said one ounce of platnium is worth $1,500.Keep a close eye
on your catalytic converters.
cuhulin

Old February 3rd 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Frank <frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet> wrote:

>According to my quick Googling, there's only about 1.5 grams of
>platinum/palladium in a catalytic converter which makes it worth about
>$5. Thieves aren't rocket scientists and neither are the TV reporters
>whose report might encourage thieves

Local radio station recently had someone pull up all their ground radial
cables to sell for the copper. However... the cable was all copper-clad
steel and really worth nothing. Took about a week of work to get a new
ground system laid, too.
--scott

Old February 4th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

i see some of guys around here steal copper from construction sites.
maybe that pays better.
Old February 4th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

There are some people around here that steal anything that isn't in Fort
Knox.
cuhulin

Old February 5th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Master Asshole

We've had thieves here drilling holes in gas tanks and stealing gas, then
cutting the exhaust pipes with
battery powered saws to steal the catcon's as well as the gas!

Old February 5th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Frank" <frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet> wrote in message
> According to my quick Googling, there's only about 1.5 grams of
> platinum/palladium in a catalytic converter which makes it worth about $5.
> Thieves aren't rocket scientists and neither are the TV reporters whose
> report might encourage thieves
>
> Frank

As of today, platinum is about $1700 per ounce. Palladium is about $400.

1.5 grams of platinum is worth more like $75-80, and the equivalent
palladium would be worth about a fourth of that.

Still, there are a lot of people who would be happy to steal that much
money.
If they werent too lazy to cut the catcon off the car.

Old February 5th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Many years ago, Russia turned out some kitchen pots and pans that had
real platinum in them.I once read about it in Antique Trader.
cuhulin, the Antique

Old February 8th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

And I point and laugh at these SUV owners who get their catalytic
converter stolen.
Old February 8th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Feb 5, 3:04*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
> "Frank" <frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet> wrote in message
> > According to my quick Googling, there's only about 1.5 grams of
> > platinum/palladium in a catalytic converter which makes it worth about $5.
> > Thieves aren't rocket scientists and neither are the TV reporters whose
> > report might encourage thieves

> > Frank

> As of today, platinum is about $1700 per ounce. Palladium is about $400.
>
> 1.5 grams of platinum is worth more like $75-80, and the equivalent
> palladium would be worth about a fourth of that.
>
> Still, there are a lot of people who would be happy to steal that much
> money.
> If they werent too lazy to cut the catcon off the car.

Yeah, there have been several articles like that. They are probably
just selling the converter outright to less than scrupulous
recyclers. I can't imagine those thieves are doing any meltdown and
recovery. There can't be many places that actually refine and
recycle exotic metals like that.

91 YJ catalytic converter? [email protected] Jeep 16 December 1st 07 06:22 AM
Catalytic Converter Denis Jeep 4 August 10th 06 01:54 AM
Catalytic converter Bill Johnston Technology 1 July 23rd 06 07:18 PM
catalytic converter BDragon Corvette 22 October 12th 05 09:16 AM
catalytic converter MikeK VW water cooled 10 May 16th 05 09:01 PM