1600 bay camper stalling......advise much appreciated...

Old October 14th 04, 03:49 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Default 1600 bay camper stalling......advise much appreciated...

Uneven idle and dying, 95% of the times is caused by improper carb
adjustment or clogged / partially clogged circuits in the carb.
What I do whenever the idle speed isn't steady and stalls, is to remove the
carb, thoroughlly clean it anyway by completelly dismantling it (removing
every jet and adj. screw, blow passages with compressed air, fit new gaskets
and O-rings, lubricate properlly). It's a 30min job if you get experienced
with it, or a couple of hours for a beginer if you allready have a carb
rebuid kit and an air-compressor. Then reinstall the carb and readjust the
idle circuit.

Procedure for Adjusting PICT carbs
-------------------------------------
0) Before starting the engine, you have to do several pre-adjustments to
ensure that the engine will run and to simplify the adjustments.
Screw all the way in the two adjusting screws on the left. Do not apply
excesive force when they bottom, otherwise you will deform the seat in the
carb's body. [ Remark: These two screws have a small O-ring seal on them.
This should be lubricated with a bit of oil before installing these screws
in the carb, so that the seals won't be chewed and they wont bind when you
try to adjust them. ]
Then unscrew 3+1/2 turns the big screw and 5-6 turns the small screw.

1) Now start the engine and warm it up.

2) Adjust throttle butterfly so that it closses completelly. Otherwise the
idle circuit won't work properlly.
To do so, unscrew the throttle positioning screw all the way out, then
screw in until it just touches the fast idle cam in the slower idle setting,
then additional 1/4 (about) turn in. This is so that the thottle lever stops
on the adj. screw and the butterfly doesn't bind on the carb's throat.

3) Adjust idle speed at about 900 rpm with the volume control screw (the big
one on the left of the carb). On older carbs without a volume control screw,
this setting is achieved with the thottle lever screw.

4) Adjust idle mixture with the small screw on the left. To do so, screw
the mixture (small) screw in untill the engine speed begins to drop.
Then back out 1+ 1/4 turn. If there is no response in engine rpm when
adjusting the mixture screw, the idle jet or idle circuit passages on the
carb are clogged.

5) Readjust the idle speed with the volume control (large) screw to 850-900
rpm.

6) Done.

Bill,
'67 Bug.