Do VW steel wheels or alloy wheels weigh more?

Old December 31st 04, 04:33 PM
Fred Fartalot

Default Do VW steel wheels or alloy wheels weigh more?

I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004 Golf
with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.

Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?

I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it and I
never got an answer and finally just left.

Thank you.

maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

Old December 31st 04, 04:34 PM
Joseph Meehan

Fred Fartalot wrote:
> I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004
> Golf with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.
>
> Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?
>
> I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it
> and I never got an answer and finally just left.
>
> Thank you.
>

> maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

I think that may depend on the particular alloy wheels you are talking
about. The idea behind the first alloy wheels is their reduced weight.
However I suspect that many today are heavier than the steel wheels they are
replacing.

Do consider that alloy wheels are more prone to damage and leaks than
steel wheels. If you are in a pothole area this can be an important issue.
One pothole and you may be looking for a new wheel. Finding a new one in a
few years to match the other three could be impossible.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 31st 04, 05:04 PM
Nate Nagel

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> Fred Fartalot wrote:
>
>>I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004
>>Golf with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.
>>
>>Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?
>>
>>I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it
>>and I never got an answer and finally just left.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>

>>maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

> I think that may depend on the particular alloy wheels you are talking
> about. The idea behind the first alloy wheels is their reduced weight.
> However I suspect that many today are heavier than the steel wheels they are
> replacing.
>
> Do consider that alloy wheels are more prone to damage and leaks than
> steel wheels. If you are in a pothole area this can be an important issue.
> One pothole and you may be looking for a new wheel. Finding a new one in a
> few years to match the other three could be impossible.

They can, however be repaired if necessary. There's a shop near me that
fixed some really ugly lip damage on one of my GTI wheels for about $100
IIRC. They also restored some old BBS mesh wheels for me that had been
both bent and curb surfed for about $300 a pair.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 1st 05, 07:23 AM
Biz

I'm thinking you've never hit a REAL pothole say in teh midwest or the
northeast with an alloy wheel. It can put such a flat spot in a rim there
is no way you can ever fix them. I've probably bought 6-8 rims in the last
15 years for my 1985 GTI....

Typically alloys do weigh less, but it should be easy to get the weight of
the wheel you want to use, and not that hard to weigh one of the ones you
have and subtract the tire weight.

Old January 2nd 05, 02:05 AM
Nate Nagel

Oh hell yes I have. Actually the BBS mesh wheels I referred to below
were so mangled I thought they were unrepairable, I was given a set of 4
for free I was going to keep the two good ones and chuck the other two
but the wheel shop (Ye Old Wheel Shop, Elkridge, MD) fixed 'em right up.
I was impressed.

nate

Old January 2nd 05, 02:05 AM
Nate Nagel

Old January 1st 05, 07:23 AM
Biz

Old December 31st 04, 05:04 PM
Nate Nagel

Old December 31st 04, 04:34 PM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 31st 04, 05:56 PM
Woodchuck

I can tell you this because I sold a VW 1.5 x 17 OEM alloy wheel which was
25lbs.

ink.net...