VW GTI VR6 GEar PROBLEM-will not go into 1st and 2nd gear

Old December 27th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
kampai

Default VW GTI VR6 GEar PROBLEM-will not go into 1st and 2nd gear

i need help from all of you. i have a 2002 vw GTI vr6 6speed and just this
morning my car will not go into 1st and 2nd gear but will go to third and
so forth.Please advise, on how can i deal with this considering i dont
have the money for it,$3000 or more from the first quote i got.Mahalo!

Old December 27th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

could be easy as the linkage or shift cables. get a second opinion...

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 27th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Lost In Space/Woodchuck wrote:
> could be easy as the linkage or shift cables. get a second opinion...

Absolutely try that first. Could also be that the clutch is binding a
wee bit such that 1 & 2 are turning just enough not to mesh properly.

Will it go into these gear with the engine off and cold?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 27th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
kampai

Thanks for the help braddahs! I am trying to help my sis out with this car
it used to be my car and i am not physically there to look at it. But
accdg to her it is loose on first and second even when the engine is cool
or off. I think the mechanic said its 2 of those Forks for 1st gear and
2nd gear,they gave her a quote of $3000 or more for that or replace the
whole transmission for $4000. PLease advise.Mahalo!

Old December 27th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

kampai wrote:

A rebuilt VW trannie (5-speed manual) runs $1200 - $1800 w/exchange
from a reliable source. Installation will be less with a rebuilt than
with attempting to rebuild the present unit. Figure a new clutch as it
is already out of the car, maybe even stub-axles. All-in, $3000 should
get you a new gearbox, clutch and installation.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 28th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
kampai

so what is exactly wrong with the car?

Old December 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

kampai wrote:
> so what is exactly wrong with the car?

Likely the 1 - 2 syncromeshers are kerflooie, for lack of a better
term. If the shift lever flops about and the linkage is otherwise OK,
there are broken connections within the transmission.

Of course, a second opinion and/or being shown that the external
linkage is intact would be a good thing. But if so, then that tranny is
toast. The moment one has to open a tranny... the costs are pretty much
the same.

How does the 'actual car owner' drive? Not even implying that it is
his/her fault, but if there are contributing problems such as a poorly
adjusted clutch, or bad driving habits, even a very good tranny may be
'toasted' in a very few miles.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old December 28th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Aloha,
IIRC I have seen some plastic linkage pieces break causing that problem on
a couple of VR6 equipped Golfs and Passats.
I would get a second opinion from a mechanic that knows VWs, or at least
call one up. Search the internet for them. Go here and type in your
sister's zipcode http://cartalk.com/
Of course that shop could probably add their own name to the list. 8^o
And some dealer ratings are here http://1.8t.org/dealers/

The parts are not expensive and it is an easy replacement done without
lifting the vehicle.

It might be the trans, but I am hoping not! ;-)

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 28th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Kevin Thomas

If the car will only go into 3rd & 4th and not 1st, 2nd, 5th & reverse
then it is almost certainly a bracket where the shift cable connects to
the transmission. I know because I broke that part in my '97 Passat GLX
a couple of years ago. It is relatively easy the replace but does need
to be adjusted a little once installed.

However, it the car will go into 5th and reverse then I do not know. It
could still be that park or it could be something more serious...

Kevin

Old December 28th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
kampai

The car is in the shop right now but can't afford the dealers quote of
either replacing the two forks for the first or second gear that he is
saying that needs to be replaced or replace the whole transmission. all
the the gears besides 1 and 2 goes in fine and tight.