radiator leak

Old May 17th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default radiator leak

On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:00:56 -0400, Ritz > wrote:

>Sure, it's technically possible, but I don't know of any shops that
>actually do it. And even if they did, it would likely be more expensive
>than actually buying a new part.

I do not know where you live but they do it here and can easily recore
your tanks with a thicker core for more capacity. Granted you can only
do it a time ot two before the clamp tabs weaken but you can do it.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 17th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I still will exercise my right to disagree based on my college
thermodynamics and fluid mechanics courses. Although they were many years
back, the basic physics here has not changed.

Please cite your source for the benefit of us "ignorant" old folks. Thank
you.

Bob

Old May 17th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

SnoMan wrote:
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:06:13 -0400, Ritz > wrote:
>
>> Um...this is just patently wrong. I don't know where you're getting
>> your information from, but it's simply not correct. If you're getting
>> it from some "reliable source" I'd love to see the original source's
>> explanation.

> The error here is yours, mine is based on science not hearsay and if
> you can read a news group you can easily find the data to support my
> comments on the web if you know how to use a search engine. I do not
> make claims that are not based on fact or science unlike some others
> do. You can ignore the science if you want but it will not change the
> facts of it. GM sticks with 50/50 because their bean counters have
> figured out how many millions of dollars a year they can save on
> coolant and that it will last long enough for warranty and the when it
> goes bad you can either pay their dealers to service it or buy a new
> car and start the cycle all over. Do you think that they are going to
> sell you a vehicle with the proper coolant mixture at most cost to
> them and that will require less servicing and repair or need for
> replacement parts/ Get real it is planned obsolessence so that they
> can sell you another one or part for current one. No profit in build a
> vehicle that lasts too long. Wake up!!

Translation: You have no source.

Game. Set. Match.

Thanks for playing.

Cheers,
Old May 17th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Indeed. I did my stint at an ivy league engineering school too. 4
semesters of physics...etc...etc...but I also worked at the family
business (after school, weekends, summers) for many years. That family
business is an auto repair shop that's been in continuous operation
since the 1930's.

In short, Snoman has no idea what he's talking about. That's based on
both my background in science and my background in the real world. I'll
leave it to people to draw their own conclusions.

Cheers,

Old May 17th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 17 May 2006 02:11:12 GMT, "Bob Shuman"
> wrote:

>I still will exercise my right to disagree based on my college
>thermodynamics and fluid mechanics courses. Although they were many years
>back, the basic physics here has not changed.

Yo need to recheck you books on this one because you must have misssed
coolant principles in cooling systems. While you coolant may be 200 or
210, the parts it comes in contact with can easily exceed the boiling
tempature of the coolant especailly if there is a lot of water in it
and this form a gas buble barrier that slows the heat transfer rate to
coolant where as high consentrations of antifreeze with it much higher
boil point do not gas and form the barrier to impead heat transfer.
Ethylene and Propylene Glycol act the same here and propylene has even
a high boil point and it achieves its lowest freeze point too at 100%
concentration unlike ethylene. Both glycols are about 20% heavier than
water and therefore have more mass as will. Also whe the reach boil
point, they has a much lower surface tension (abilty to form and
retain air/gas bubbles) sothey will transfer heat out of a item better
even if its surface tempature exceeds the boil point of the coolant
itself. The only reason that cars do not come with more antifreeze is
cost per unit not because it is better not to. There is a strong
galvantic reaction between aluminum and steel/cast iron parts with
coolant in a engine block when water is present and the less water the
better in this regaurd. In teh older days when they used brass cores
raditors that were soldered in, there was issues with lead salt
forming in tanks and blocking fins internally. Again if you run very
high levels of anitfreeze, the problem does not surface. In my 79 J20,
the tank is still clean with no deposits because I have had 70/30 or
better in it for years. BTW, 15 years ago the tank ruptured at the
seam one hot summer day and after I repaird it I switch to a 7 psi cap
and never had another leak and no cooling issues either.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 17th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:06:13 -0400, Ritz > wrote:
>
>> <snip>

> <snip>
> GM sticks with 50/50 because their bean counters have
> figured out how many millions of dollars a year they can save on
> coolant and that it will last long enough for warranty and the when it
> goes bad you can either pay their dealers to service it or buy a new
> car and start the cycle all over. Do you think that they are going to
> sell you a vehicle with the proper coolant mixture at most cost to
> them and that will require less servicing and repair or need for
> replacement parts/ Get real it is planned obsolessence so that they
> can sell you another one or part for current one. No profit in build a
> vehicle that lasts too long. Wake up!!
> -----------------
> The SnoMan
> www.thesnoman.com

That's pretty dumb of those bean counters -- if all they care about is
maxing profit by saving money on coolant, why don't they just reduce the
warrantee period and make the plants put tap water with red dye in the
system? Or just convince us morons that comprise the buying public that the
engines can be cooled by air, then they can save the cost of both the liquid
coolant and the whole coolant system -- BIG savings!

Old May 18th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thir reccomendation to use 50/50 mixture isnt to save coolant , it is
to give proper freeze and boil protection. the corosion protection doea
not come from the glycol it comes from the additives. The glycol is
actually more corrosive than the water, and speeking of the water you
should use deionized water rather than distilled water, it is less
corrosive than the distilled water. Deionised water can be found in
drug stores. Its not free but it is cheap.

Old May 19th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"seawater" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Thir reccomendation to use 50/50 mixture isnt to save coolant , it is
> to give proper freeze and boil protection. the corosion protection doea
> not come from the glycol it comes from the additives. The glycol is
> actually more corrosive than the water, and speeking of the water you
> should use deionized water rather than distilled water, it is less
> corrosive than the distilled water. Deionised water can be found in
> drug stores. Its not free but it is cheap.

What is the difference between distilled and deionized water?
How is deionized water made?

Thanks

Old May 19th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Fri, 19 May 2006 02:33:43 GMT, "Private" >
wrote:

>"seawater" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Thir reccomendation to use 50/50 mixture isnt to save coolant , it is
>> to give proper freeze and boil protection. the corosion protection doea
>> not come from the glycol it comes from the additives. The glycol is
>> actually more corrosive than the water, and speeking of the water you
>> should use deionized water rather than distilled water, it is less
>> corrosive than the distilled water. Deionised water can be found in
>> drug stores. Its not free but it is cheap.
>>

>What is the difference between distilled and deionized water?
>How is deionized water made?
>
>Thanks

Distilled in made by condesing evaporated water. Deionzed water is
usually made by complex filtration which may include the usage of
semipermiable membranes that let water through but not minerals in it.
Distilled is its purest state generally.
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 19th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Yep, it's pretty much "I'm right because I'm right." He lost me with his
example of surface tension. It has nothing to do with layers of bubbles at
all, at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension