SL2DOHC belt and pully don't line up

Old December 27th 05, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default SL2DOHC belt and pully don't line up

After 250K miles, my serpentine belt no longer rides the main pully (bolted
into crankshaft)correctly. All other pulleys (A/C, alt, wtr pmp, etc) all
line up fine. I tried to tighten the bolt on the main pulley to bring it
closer to the engine block but it would not budge. The whole engine turns
and it's hard to keep the pully & engine from moving. Half of the belt
rides the back of the pulley while the other half hangs over the edge,
toward the engine. Is there a special tool for this? Any suggestions
appreciated. It's a 94 Sl2, DOHC.

Old December 28th 05, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Sorry I can't help, but I really would like to know how it turns out.

Just maybe the pulley is bad if it is made like a typical balancer. A
typical balancer is actually two pieces of steel, pressed together with
a piece of rubber in between. Maybe the outer piece has slipped on the
rubber seperator. Eventually it may come all the way off. Compare your
balancer to a new one.

James

Old December 28th 05, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Here are a few pics out of a repair manual, maybe you can compare with
yours:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...es/DAMPER1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...es/DAMPER2.jpg

Old December 31st 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

James- You are 100% correct. The outer piece has slipped outward from the
rubber separator. A junk yard wanted $40 for a used balancer. A new one at
the dealer was $97. Because of the difficulty of getting that bolt out, i
had the dealer replace the balancer while I was there checking out the
price of the part. The mechanic that did the work said he never saw that
separation happen in the 10 years he's worked on Saturns. He was surprised
the parts dept had it in stock.
Maybe I'm good for another 250K miles now.

Old December 31st 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I am glad you found the problem and are good to go now! James

Problem with belt Adam Dodge 25 December 17th 05 12:32 PM
96 T&C Serpentine belt problems 99trooper Chrysler 6 March 5th 05 11:19 AM
1995 Windstar 3.8L Serpentine Belt Removal [email protected] General 2 February 21st 05 04:19 AM
99 caravan loses serpentine belt Hans Technology 3 February 20th 05 03:32 AM
Universal Belt Tightening Specification Ted Mittelstaedt Chrysler 1 October 11th 04 07:58 AM