Automobile Junk Yard On South Main Street Near Fifteenth Street, Los Angeles, ca.1940 Three Different Photos - "215017.jpg" 179.6 kBytes yEnc

Old April 1st 20, 12:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
drek

Default Automobile Junk Yard On South Main Street Near Fifteenth Street, Los Angeles, ca.1940 Three Different Photos - "215017.jpg" 179.6 kBytes yEnc

It would be interesting to learn how many scrapped Model T's were used
for wartime production during WW2.

Old Photo - Automobile Junk Yard On South Main Street Near Fifteenth
Street, Los Angeles, ca.1940 Three Different Photos
By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, June 02, 2011
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1307122228

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215017.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	263885
Old April 1st 20, 12:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
Rich

On 3/31/20 7:05 PM, drek wrote:
> It would be interesting to learn how many scrapped Model T's were used
> for wartime production during WW2.
>

> Old Photo - Automobile Junk Yard On South Main Street Near Fifteenth
> Street, Los Angeles, ca.1940 Three Different Photos
> By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, June 02, 2011
> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1307122228

I too have often thought how many great cars were crushed.
Old April 3rd 20, 04:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
drek

Default Automobile Junk Yard <snip> - 1932 Peerless, sole aluminum prototype, V-16 engine.jpg

On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 07:47:51 -0400,Rich

>On 3/31/20 7:05 PM, drek wrote:
>> It would be interesting to learn how many scrapped Model T's were used
>> for wartime production during WW2.

snip>

> I too have often thought how many great cars were crushed.

When I have more time I"ll try to look into it.

Here's an account of one guy who wouldn't give his up, including his
16 cylinder prototype Peerless.

Born in 1891Frederick Crawford "...simply didn’t believe the dozens
of cars in his collection would make any difference in the war - and
indeed - some recent research concludes that the whole scrap
campaign was not a huge help, although it did boost morale."

He ended up when 17 of those he saved "ultimately became the Crawford
Auto Aviation Museum, which is part of the Western Reserve Historical
Society."

"Crawford headed up Thompson Products which became part of TRW. He
died in 1994 at 103."

"To be sure, the iron and steel drive and the rubber drive may have
made some additional supplies available, but the additional amounts
were of a much smaller order of magnitude than popular stories about
the drives might suggest," concluded Hugh Rockoff, of the National
Bureau of Economics in his paper, "Keep on Scrapping: The Salvage
Drives of World War II."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/.../#65b63de148bc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 Peerless, sole aluminum prototype, V-16 engine.jpg (80.8 KB, 12 views)