Need advice - should I repair it or dump it?

Old March 21st 13, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Frank LaRosa

Default Need advice - should I repair it or dump it?

I've got a 2000 Beetle with 100k miles.

I'm leaking oil and need a new Rear Main Seal. I also need a new alternator. On top of that there's about half a dozen other issues, including cracked reflectors, burned out bulbs, exhaust hangers, and a broken antenna.

The car has relatively new tires and brakes, and is otherwise sound according to the report I got when I took it to a dealer. (I took it to the dealer because nobody else could figure out where the oil was leaking from).

The car is worth around $2500 and the dealer wants $2200 to repair it.

I don't really want to spend the time finding another car, and I don't really want to spend $2500 on a used car of the same value only to find out it has a dozen other problems.

What should I do?
Old March 22nd 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bill Leary

"Frank LaRosa" wrote in message

> I've got a 2000 Beetle with 100k miles.
>
> I'm leaking oil and need a new Rear Main Seal. I also need a new
> alternator.
> On top of that there's about half a dozen other issues, including cracked
> reflectors, burned out bulbs, exhaust hangers, and a broken antenna.
>
> The car has relatively new tires and brakes, and is otherwise sound
> according
> to the report I got when I took it to a dealer. (I took it to the dealer
> because
> nobody else could figure out where the oil was leaking from).
>
> The car is worth around $2500 and the dealer wants $2200 to repair it.
>
> I don't really want to spend the time finding another car, and I don't
> really
> want to spend $2500 on a used car of the same value only to find out it
> has
> a dozen other problems.
>
> What should I do?

It sounds like you've already made a "the devil you know" argument.

A question to ask yourself is how you feel about this car? Desire may trump
logic.

- Bill

Old March 25th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Huebner

In article >,
says...

> I've got a 2000 Beetle with 100k miles.
>
> I'm leaking oil and need a new Rear Main Seal. I also need a new alternator. On top of that there's about half a dozen other issues, including cracked reflectors, burned out bulbs, exhaust hangers, and a broken antenna.
>
> The car has relatively new tires and brakes, and is otherwise sound according to the report I got when I took it to a dealer. (I took it to the dealer because nobody else could figure out where the oil was leaking from).
>
> The car is worth around $2500 and the dealer wants $2200 to repair it.
>
> I don't really want to spend the time finding another car, and I don't really want to spend $2500 on a used car of the same value only to find out it has a dozen other problems.
>
> What should I do?

I'd go on the general state of the car. Things like the reflectorsn
antenna and the alternator can be sourced from wrecker's yards.
I would think that spending a couple of grand on a car that's done 100k
miles is not too bad, particularly since you just had brakes and rubber
done.

Personally I'd go on a couple of other things in my decision making:
- is it reliable? (I just flicked my Volvo XC70 because it was not,
replaced with a Passat.)
- does it have rust?

my $0.02's worth. -P.
Old March 26th 13, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 3/21/2013 4:08 PM, Frank LaRosa wrote:
> I've got a 2000 Beetle with 100k miles.
>
> I'm leaking oil and need a new Rear Main Seal. I also need a new alternator. On top of that there's about half a dozen other issues, including cracked reflectors, burned out bulbs, exhaust hangers, and a broken antenna.
>
> The car has relatively new tires and brakes, and is otherwise sound according to the report I got when I took it to a dealer. (I took it to the dealer because nobody else could figure out where the oil was leaking from).
>
> The car is worth around $2500 and the dealer wants $2200 to repair it.
>
> I don't really want to spend the time finding another car, and I don't really want to spend $2500 on a used car of the same value only to find out it has a dozen other problems.
>
> What should I do?

If you spend the $2200 on it, how long will
the car last? Rust and oil burning are
factors here.

How many miles a year do you put on the car?
If less than 5,000 miles/year, fix it. If
more than 12,000 miles/year, dump it.

Does it pass inspection as is?

Lynn

Old March 26th 13, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lynn McGuire[_2_]

On 3/21/2013 4:08 PM, Frank LaRosa wrote:
> I've got a 2000 Beetle with 100k miles.
>
> I'm leaking oil and need a new Rear Main Seal. I also need a new alternator. On top of that there's about half a dozen other issues, including cracked reflectors, burned out bulbs, exhaust hangers, and a broken antenna.
>
> The car has relatively new tires and brakes, and is otherwise sound according to the report I got when I took it to a dealer. (I took it to the dealer because nobody else could figure out where the oil was leaking from).
>
> The car is worth around $2500 and the dealer wants $2200 to repair it.
>
> I don't really want to spend the time finding another car, and I don't really want to spend $2500 on a used car of the same value only to find out it has a dozen other problems.
>
> What should I do?

And yes, all $2500 cars will have hidden problems.

Lynn