how come new VW's appear to be junk?

Old November 30th 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default how come new VW's appear to be junk?

On 11/29/2012 7:04 PM, Bert wrote:
> I suppose this could be morphed into a discussion about the relative
> goodness of VWs in 2003 compared to the current crop.

How about earlier to 2003? For example, comparing my '88 Cabriolet to
the 2003 models, and maybe comparing against the newest offering that is
compatible?

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old November 30th 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 11/30/2012 10:09, Bert wrote:
> In "WindsorFox<SS>"
> > wrote:

>>> I suppose this could be morphed into a discussion about the relative
>>> goodness of VWs in 2003 compared to the current crop.
>>>
>>> I had a 2002 Passat wagon which I just replaced with a 2012 Jetta
>>> wagon (there being no more Passat wagons, or real Passats for that
>>> matter).
>>>

>> What drew you to this conclusion? What is "unreal" about the
>> current Passat?

> I was talking about what's available in the US.
>
> The car sold as a Passat in the US bears no resemblance to the Passat
> sold in most of the rest of the world. The "real" Passat continues to be
> made and sold elsewhere.

Ah I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out.

> Along those same lines, my own car, the "Jetta" Sportwagen, is actually
> a Golf, and is sold under that name everywhere else.

Not if it's a 2012 AFAIK. I've read that the Jetta became it's own
platform with the MKVI and it is bigger than the Golf, which was was a
basis for my Passat question as it has grown over the previous version
as well. This is quite the experience for me as the first
German/European car I've ever owned.
Old November 30th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 11/30/2012 12:13, PeterD wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 7:04 PM, Bert wrote:
>> I suppose this could be morphed into a discussion about the relative
>> goodness of VWs in 2003 compared to the current crop.

> How about earlier to 2003? For example, comparing my '88 Cabriolet to
> the 2003 models, and maybe comparing against the newest offering that is
> compatible?

Mechanically I don't know, but aesthetically and in terms of
accessories and such I can say I remember LOLing at the first Rabbit
Vert and that huge wad of canvass packed up on the back deck when the
top was down.
Old November 30th 12, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert

In "WindsorFox<SS>"
> wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 10:09, Bert wrote:
>> In "WindsorFox<SS>"
>> > wrote:

>>> What drew you to this conclusion? What is "unreal" about the
>>> current Passat?

>> I was talking about what's available in the US.
>>
>> The car sold as a Passat in the US bears no resemblance to the Passat
>> sold in most of the rest of the world. The "real" Passat continues to
>> be made and sold elsewhere.

> Ah I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out.
>

>> Along those same lines, my own car, the "Jetta" Sportwagen, is
>> actually a Golf, and is sold under that name everywhere else.
>>

> Not if it's a 2012 AFAIK. I've read that the Jetta became it's own
> platform with the MKVI and it is bigger than the Golf, which was was a
> basis for my Passat question as it has grown over the previous version
> as well. This is quite the experience for me as the first
> German/European car I've ever owned.

The 2012 and 2013 Jetta wagon sold in the US are still the Golf Variant
sold elsewhere.

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/g...t/gallery.html

I don't think anything's going to change until 2014, and even then it will
still be based on the Golf, but in the new MQB modular architecture.

Various rumors floating around have it changing its name somehow, and the
inclusion of an Alltrack all-wheel drive version.

Of course, there's always the persistent rumor that VW will stop selling
it altogether, just like most other makers stopped selling their wagons
in the US.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 1st 12, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 11/30/2012 15:08, Bert wrote:
> In "WindsorFox<SS>"
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2012 10:09, Bert wrote:
>>> In "WindsorFox<SS>"

>>> I was talking about what's available in the US.
>>>
>>> The car sold as a Passat in the US bears no resemblance to the Passat
>>> sold in most of the rest of the world. The "real" Passat continues to
>>> be made and sold elsewhere.

>> Ah I didn't know that, I'll have to check it out.
>>

>>> Along those same lines, my own car, the "Jetta" Sportwagen, is
>>> actually a Golf, and is sold under that name everywhere else.
>>>

>> Not if it's a 2012 AFAIK. I've read that the Jetta became it's own
>> platform with the MKVI and it is bigger than the Golf, which was was a
>> basis for my Passat question as it has grown over the previous version
>> as well. This is quite the experience for me as the first
>> German/European car I've ever owned.

> The 2012 and 2013 Jetta wagon sold in the US are still the Golf Variant
> sold elsewhere.
>
> http://www.volkswagen.de/de/models/g...t/gallery.html
>
> I don't think anything's going to change until 2014, and even then it will
> still be based on the Golf, but in the new MQB modular architecture.
>
> Various rumors floating around have it changing its name somehow, and the
> inclusion of an Alltrack all-wheel drive version.
>
> Of course, there's always the persistent rumor that VW will stop selling
> it altogether, just like most other makers stopped selling their wagons
> in the US.

I have to say I've never seen (noticed?) a Jetta wagon here. I do see
Golfs and GTIs though. I actually like the looks of the Golf a lot
especially for a 4 door it's just a little smaller than I wanted. I've
driven a truck for most of my life and after getting my Mustang and a
Murano for 6 or 7 years I was jonesing for a truck. But when I was
spending $30 - $45 every WEEK on gas that was the limit. Now I have to
say for what it is a *really* like this Jetta I average over 44 and I
drive it like it's the Mustang, basically because it accelerates as well
or better than the Titan and handles like the Mustang. BUT if Nissan
puts a Titan on the market with the proposed 2.7L Cummins clean Diesel
that has been getting 38-40 over all on the prototype, I'm afraid I'm
there. Unless VW starts selling that little Diesel truck they have down
South. Many of us were disappointed when Mahindra gave up on certifying
a small Diesel.
Old December 1st 12, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On 11/30/2012 3:59 PM, WindsorFox<SS> wrote:
> Mechanically I don't know, but aesthetically and in terms of
> accessories and such I can say I remember LOLing at the first Rabbit
> Vert and that huge wad of canvass packed up on the back deck when the
> top was down.

Ah, but that's a VW thing! (the old Beetles were the same...)

I'll have to admit, I've got 52,000 miles on my 88, and I've replaced
just about everything that one could expect. Struts, shocks, rack,
engine upper end, two exhaust systems, brakes, brakes, top, tires (they
last about 10K miles!) and a bunch of smaller stuff. Reliable? Once you
get it running, it never stops, but starting it can be an adventure!

--
I'm never going to grow up.

how come new VW's appear to be junk? PL[_2_] VW water cooled 0 September 6th 12 11:20 AM
Fear of Junk? Felix[_2_] Driving 3 November 12th 09 08:55 PM
Junk Yards in MD bman Jeep 6 July 28th 07 05:52 PM
Can I Junk My Ignition Module? Jack-Jack Jeep 1 October 18th 05 03:16 PM
Superwinch = junk blokemn Jeep 0 December 27th 04 07:10 PM