Z4 ground clearance?

Old October 10th 12, 04:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pointer

Default Z4 ground clearance?

Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn on
a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than try
to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the English
Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.

Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment!
Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy?

Old October 10th 12, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Pointer" > wrote in message

> Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn
> on a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than
> try to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the
> English Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.
>
> Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment!
> Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy?

I don't know that ground clearance is an issue or not, but I try very hard
to not drive my 3 Series offroad. I love going offroad, don't get me wrong.
But my 3 Series is not intended for the kind of offroading that I do, and I
don't do any offroading in it. If the guy in your story had gone a few yards
and decided to turn around, then he's like me except that he waited a few
yards longer than I might have. If the issue is that the road is high in the
middle, then driving to the side so the tires are on the high parts of the
road, then ground clearance is not the problem.

It is impossible to know from the story you told what the issues are.

Old October 10th 12, 11:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pointer

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Pointer" > wrote in message
>>
>> Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn
>> on a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than
>> try to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the
>> English Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.
>>
>> Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment!
>> Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy?
>>

> I don't know that ground clearance is an issue or not, but I try very hard
> to not drive my 3 Series offroad. I love going offroad, don't get me
> wrong. But my 3 Series is not intended for the kind of offroading that I
> do, and I don't do any offroading in it. If the guy in your story had gone
> a few yards and decided to turn around, then he's like me except that he
> waited a few yards longer than I might have. If the issue is that the road
> is high in the middle, then driving to the side so the tires are on the
> high parts of the road, then ground clearance is not the problem.
>
> It is impossible to know from the story you told what the issues are.

Well Jeff,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KnStwEZsv8
This is the bridge in question, a single cars width wide with tight drystone
walls which might have unnerved him, but I then drove my Jaguar across it
without incident ( but with great care)
To my mind he was more concerned about damaging his undercarriage half way
across, than worrying about the width available.
Though it must be said that the odd protruding loose rock slab might play
havoc with your bodywork.

You have a warm invitation to visit this glorious part of the country best
explored in fell walking boots.
Cheers

Old October 11th 12, 09:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DAS[_2_]

I think your post was just an excuse to show the video! :-)

And jolly nice that part of the world is, too. And no doubt houses don't
cost half a million quid for a glorified broom cupboard...

DAS
(a Londoner)
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
---

Old October 19th 12, 09:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
tww1491

"Pointer" wrote in message ...

Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn on
a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than try
to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the English
Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.

Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment!
Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy?
I imagine the clearance is similar to my Honda S 2000 -- right at 6 inches
and you would scrape the front spoiler. I have to watch it in parking lots.

Old October 20th 12, 12:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 16:33:54 -0400, "tww1491" > wrote:

>"Pointer" wrote in message ...
>
>Last weekend a nervous driver in his new Z4 decided to do a 7 point turn on
>a steep single track lane ( passenger scurrying to & fro) rather than try
>to cross the narrow hump backed Ashness Bridge, Nr Keswick in the English
>Lakes , to reach the car park beyond.
>
>Following traffic was not amused, except by their embarrassment!
>Is ground clearance a known Z4 problem, or was he being a bit twitchy?
>I imagine the clearance is similar to my Honda S 2000 -- right at 6 inches
>and you would scrape the front spoiler. I have to watch it in parking lots.

I'm getting déjà vu all over again.

A6 Avant ground clearance boris Audi 7 September 7th 07 01:29 AM
Valve clearance Anthony W VW air cooled 5 March 1st 07 09:38 PM
Ground clearance question/ aftermarket suspension/2001 civic/KONI Brian Honda 1 January 3rd 06 04:47 AM
valve clearance ampoule VW air cooled 2 November 15th 05 08:40 PM
Positive ground or Negative ground 2.3Sleeper Dodge 27 February 28th 05 04:23 AM