how come new VW's appear to be junk?

Old September 6th 12, 11:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PL[_2_]

Default how come new VW's appear to be junk?

On 2003-07-05 03:40:58 +0000, ztip guy said:

> Seems to be a few general problems with the A4-body-type VW's and VW's in
> general in North America; namely, window actuator assemblies, relatively
> poor instrumentation reliability, a dealership network considered to be of
> lower quality, and a few other engine-specific issues such as intake
> clogging/EGR clogging (TDI engines), oil consumption (2.0L engines), and
> coilpacks (1.8T engines, V6 engines to a lesser extent).
>
> The much malaligned window actuator assemblies were formerly constructed out
> failure-prone plastic, but these parts have been redesigned to use much
> stronger metal components. The fix has been fitted to later-production
> 2002's, and all 2003's, and is retrofittable, often free of charge, into
> earlier models.
>
> Instrumentation issues consist mainly of, but not entirely limited to, MAF's
> (Mass Airflow Sensors), and basically all the VW engine designs have issues.
> Do not know if this has been fixed yet; there are options for
> higher-reliabilty aftermarket replacements, however, these have not been
> sanctioned by the factory. Lots, and lots of other instruments wired into
> the ECU as well -- the sheer multitude used in VW's (as compared with other
> makes) makes them a target for failure.
>
> The dealership network, it seems, hasn't invested properly in technician
> training, and this is especially prevalent when dealing with some of the
> more lesser-sold engine types (ie: TDI, W8, etc, etc.). Also, there seems
> to be a reimbursement structure in place between VW Corporate and the
> dealership network which actively encourages the dealers to cut corners when
> performing warranty service, or to outright deny warranty service altogether
> on deficiencies that are deemed to be minor. VW shouldn't be obligated to
> replace wear and tear items that have been abused....but an old grandma
> shouldn't stand accused of being abusive to her VW with 20k miles on it
> because the brake pads were defective to begin with, hence their premature
> failure.
>
> The other issues I've mentioned are specific to invididual types of engines.
> The diesels clog up -- there is an aftermarket computer modification which
> can make this a virtual non-issue. The oil consumption problems were real
> and led to quite a bit of dissatisfaction -- a year old car shouldn't burn
> any oil, nevermind a quart every thousand or two miles. The coilpacks were
> outright defective, a source of huge frustration, but they were defective
> models and VW has fixed them.
>
> One thing to keep in mind -- do you honestly believe you'd have less
> problems had you purchased a low-end BMW, Mercedes or Audi? Probably not --
> they're manufactured with quite similar failure-prone parts. And if you
> compare VW's with Japanese or American cars....you must consider that nearly
> every VW sold is 'fully loaded' by American standards -- power windows,
> [...]

Very well written. Thank you.
I own a 2008 R32, about $10,000 in repairs around the 100,000 mile mark.
But am still driving it and I love it.

Junk or Odd Tools Vic Smith Technology 11 December 19th 09 07:37 AM
Fear of Junk? Felix[_2_] Driving 3 November 12th 09 08:55 PM
Junk Yards in MD bman Jeep 6 July 28th 07 05:52 PM
Can I Junk My Ignition Module? Jack-Jack Jeep 1 October 18th 05 03:16 PM
Superwinch = junk blokemn Jeep 0 December 27th 04 07:10 PM