VW Jetta TDI 2003 transmission problem

Old October 10th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Aawara Chowdhury

Default VW Jetta TDI 2003 transmission problem

I just purchased a 2003 Jetta TDI automatic with 123,000 miles on it.
The car drove fine on two test drives - both times the engine was cold,
and then on a 300 mile trip home from the dealer.

It sat in the garage for a week until today. Now about 80% of the time,
there is a big "jerk" when the transmission shifts from 1 to 2. After
this the shifts are smooth. There is also a jerk when I slow down at a
red light, and the transmission shifts from 2 to 1.

If I start the car in "1", rather than "D", and then after the vehicle
has reached about 10 mph, move the selector lever to "D", there is no
"jerk".

What could the problem be? I realize it is a transmission problem, but
any pointers that give an idea of what to prepare for would be helpful.

Thanks!
Ashok

P.S. I also have a 2000 Jetta TDI with 215K miles that has never had
these problems. The 2003 Jetta seems to be fairly well maintained; I
have records of all the service at the dealer (it was a single owner
car). The other reason I think it was well maintained is that the
timing belt / water pump were replaced about 3000 miles ago.

--
Email: echo 36434455860060025978157675027927670979097959886449 930P | dc
Old October 14th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tony49122

On Oct 10, 3:02*pm, Aawara Chowdhury >
wrote:
> What could the problem be? *I realize it is a transmission problem, but
> any pointers that give an idea of what to prepare for would be helpful.

Hi, in the repair records, is there mention of any transmission
service done? Not sure the interval on a 2003, but on older VWs, it
was every 2 years. If it hasn't been done for a few years, it might be
worth the investment if you are going to keep the car for awhile.
Old November 13th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Aawara Chowdhury

Default Resolved? ( VW Jetta TDI 2003 transmission problem)

Tried replacing the transmission fluid and filter - didn't help. Then
replaced the valve body and solenoids. So far, so good ..... keeping my
fingers crossed!

AC

Old October 27th 13, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Hey, just curious if the problem remained fixed after replacement the valve body and tbe solenoids? I have a 2003 tdi auto transmission that had the same problems, and is now to the point where it won't really work unless warmed up for a long time.