Positive ground or Negative ground

Old February 24th 05, 06:54 AM
2.3Sleeper

Default Positive ground or Negative ground

92 Eagle Vision (Intrepid basically). Issues with the tail lights and a
reverse warning light installation. Someone suggested that it might be a
negative ground system which will effect the end result of what I was trying
to achieve.

Anyone have an answer on this one?

Don Manning

Old February 24th 05, 06:44 PM
the fly

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:54:50 GMT, "2.3Sleeper"
> wrote:

>92 Eagle Vision (Intrepid basically). Issues with the tail lights and a
>reverse warning light installation. Someone suggested that it might be a
>negative ground system which will effect the end result of what I was trying
>to achieve.
>
>Anyone have an answer on this one?
>
>Don Manning

Virtually ALL vehicles built in North America since the
mid-1950s have negative-ground electrical systems.
Old February 24th 05, 07:06 PM
Sharon K.Cooke

Actually, Chrysler likes to do some electrical things the other way,
with ground-switched tail lights. Even Ford has done ground-switched
tail lights, and the Ford air suspension solenoid valves are all
ground-switched. Ground-switching IS the superior way to handle DC
switching (less wear & tear on switches), but costs a little more to
implement, so the majority of automakers avoid it.

Old February 25th 05, 02:56 AM
2.3Sleeper

"Sharon K.Cooke" > wrote in message
> Actually, Chrysler likes to do some electrical things the other way,
> with ground-switched tail lights. Even Ford has done ground-switched
> tail lights, and the Ford air suspension solenoid valves are all
> ground-switched. Ground-switching IS the superior way to handle DC
> switching (less wear & tear on switches), but costs a little more to
> implement, so the majority of automakers avoid it.

Yes! That is what I meant. I tried to install a reverse flasher on this car
and only the left side brake light flashes. Both reverse lights work as they
should though. I hooked everything up both ways possible and had no luck. I
then got very d.e.l.i.b.e.r.a.t.e. with the wiring and still had the same
result. I called the company and spoke with an engineer and they suggested
that maybe this model of car uses a ground-switching system, which would
require me to install a relay -inline- to alter this.

Anyone have suggestions?

Don Manning

Old February 25th 05, 04:50 AM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:06:40 -0600, "Sharon K.Cooke" >
wrote:

>Actually, Chrysler likes to do some electrical things the other way,
>with ground-switched tail lights. Even Ford has done ground-switched
>tail lights, and the Ford air suspension solenoid valves are all
>ground-switched. Ground-switching IS the superior way to handle DC
>switching (less wear & tear on switches), but costs a little more to
>implement, so the majority of automakers avoid it.

I'd like you to explain THAT in a scientific manner.

The only reason some things are ground switched is to simplify
electronic control.

Interior lamps are often ground switched, because there are at leat 3
switches controlling the lamps, and grounding switches on the doors
are infinitely simpler than power switches in the door jams.

Ground switching rewuires a lot more wiring in most other cases, as
power must be supplied (by wire) from the battery, and the ground must
be returned(by wire) to the switch.

With the new can-bus systems, the actual switch can be at the back of
the car, connected only to the "power" wire which also carries the
networked control signal. In this case, ground switching may be used -
and may be the simplest.

Old February 25th 05, 02:36 PM
Sharon K.Cooke

Explain WHAT in a scientific manner? It's a given that if you use a
switch to close a ground, it's easier on the switch and it (the switch)
will last until it breaks simply from mechanical wear & tear. Going the
other way, with a fixed ground and using an electrical path thru the
switch to power the device will burn out the contacts on switches
"before their time". I have replaced a number of MF & headlight switches
(FoMoCo mostly) as proof of that. I have NEVER replaced one on a Toyota.

Ground switching (of headlights, anyway) has been around for at least 30
years - look at any Toyota or Datsun (Nissan, now) - and has zero to do
with CANBUS, explained as; http://www.cetrek.co.uk/CanbusSet.html

Old February 25th 05, 03:23 PM
K`Tetch

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:36:49 -0600, "Sharon K.Cooke" >
wrote:

>Explain WHAT in a scientific manner? It's a given that if you use a
>switch to close a ground, it's easier on the switch and it (the switch)
>will last until it breaks simply from mechanical wear & tear. Going the
>other way, with a fixed ground and using an electrical path thru the
>switch to power the device will burn out the contacts on switches
>"before their time". I have replaced a number of MF & headlight switches
>(FoMoCo mostly) as proof of that. I have NEVER replaced one on a Toyota.

Obviously someone has never been in an electronics/electrical class

You know what circuits are, i take it?

I work a lot with high-power DC stuff (110V+, at sometimes 1200A) and
it doesn't matter where on the circuit a switch is, as, you see, a
circuit is a loop, and electron flow goes around ALL of the circuit
equally.

Why, in your opinion are ground switches better? is it because the
electrons 'aren't as tired' as they've only just left the battery, and
so can make a cleaner spark at near contact, one which won't
deteriorate the contact, unlike if they were positive switched, where
they'd be exhausted and jump any old way, destroying contacts?

Old February 25th 05, 03:34 PM
Sharon K.Cooke

Not sure about high-powered DC current, but I do know what happens in
the real world for 12VDC. BTW, I do have an engineering degree, and have
had several courses in electrical/electronics theory. Also, if it counts
for "creds", I moonlighted repairing TV sets while I was going to
school.

Old February 25th 05, 08:33 PM
K`Tetch

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:34:04 -0600, "Sharon K.Cooke" >
wrote:

>Not sure about high-powered DC current, but I do know what happens in
>the real world for 12VDC. BTW, I do have an engineering degree, and have
>had several courses in electrical/electronics theory. Also, if it counts
>for "creds", I moonlighted repairing TV sets while I was going to
>school.

Well then, you should be able to tell us why 'negative side switches'
last longer than, so, please, enlighten us.

Old February 25th 05, 08:59 PM
Sharon K.Cooke

K`Tetch wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:34:04 -0600, "Sharon K.Cooke" >
> wrote:
>
> >Not sure about high-powered DC current, but I do know what happens in
> >the real world for 12VDC. BTW, I do have an engineering degree, and have
> >had several courses in electrical/electronics theory. Also, if it counts
> >for "creds", I moonlighted repairing TV sets while I was going to
> >school.

> Well then, you should be able to tell us why 'negative side switches'
> last longer than, so, please, enlighten us.

Stating it as simply as possible, when a device is powered via ground
switching, the device acts a capacitor to minimize surge & 'bounce'. If
you don't believe that a grounding switch lasts longer than a switch
used to turn on a positive current thru the switch and then to the
device, please let me know when & where you'll be changing your nest car
battery; I'd like to watch, Hell, I could probably sell tickets if you
promise to remove the positive terminal on the old battery first, and
also promise to connect the ground teminal on the new battery before you
connect the positive terminal.

electrically stupid BDragon Corvette 32 February 6th 05 08:14 AM
Battery charging Peter Technology 30 January 28th 05 05:37 PM
How ground is ground? Thomas G. Marshall Honda 53 December 7th 04 11:31 PM
Help with Positive Ground issues thunderbeast Antique cars 5 March 28th 04 07:51 AM