A6 Avant ground clearance

Old September 4th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
boris

Default A6 Avant ground clearance

Hi,

I'm just curious: what's A6 Avant ground clearance?
From what I heard, Avant ground clearance is < 5in - is that true?
Also, can Avant be had with underbody skid plates?
I have Subaru Forester...it has >7in and skid plate for rear differential.

Thanks,
Boris

Old September 4th 07, 11:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave[_45_]

> I'm just curious: what's A6 Avant ground clearance?
> From what I heard, Avant ground clearance is < 5in - is that true?
> Also, can Avant be had with underbody skid plates?
> I have Subaru Forester...it has >7in and skid plate for rear differential.

If you want an Audi equivalent of your Forester then I suggest you buy an
Allroad and not an A6 Avant. The Allroad is basically and A6 Avant on stilts
and can probably be fitted with underbody protection if it doesn't already
have it.

HTH

Old September 5th 07, 05:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
boris

"Dave" > wrote in message
>> I'm just curious: what's A6 Avant ground clearance?
>> From what I heard, Avant ground clearance is < 5in - is that true?
>> Also, can Avant be had with underbody skid plates?
>> I have Subaru Forester...it has >7in and skid plate for rear
>> differential.

> If you want an Audi equivalent of your Forester then I suggest you buy an
> Allroad and not an A6 Avant. The Allroad is basically and A6 Avant on
> stilts and can probably be fitted with underbody protection if it doesn't
> already have it.

Thanks for response. But Allroad is no longer sold in US, is it?
Also, what's Adaptive Air Suspension in the A6?

Boris

Old September 5th 07, 01:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
John & Ninetta

> Thanks for response. But Allroad is no longer sold in US, is it?

Last production year forNorth America was 2005. Have you looked into a used
vehicle?

John

Old September 5th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave[_45_]

> Thanks for response. But Allroad is no longer sold in US, is it?
> Also, what's Adaptive Air Suspension in the A6?

No idea, sorry. I'm in the UK where we get the new Allroad. Ugly beast to be
honest but if it fits your requirements . . .

Have you asked AoA if they plan to re-introduce the Allroad at some point?
The current A6 will probably be in production until 2010 so quite a but of
life left in the model.

Old September 6th 07, 06:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
boris

"Dave" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for response. But Allroad is no longer sold in US, is it?
>> Also, what's Adaptive Air Suspension in the A6?

> No idea, sorry. I'm in the UK where we get the new Allroad. Ugly beast to
> be honest but if it fits your requirements . . .
>
> Have you asked AoA if they plan to re-introduce the Allroad at some point?
> The current A6 will probably be in production until 2010 so quite a but of
> life left in the model.

You quickly get used to larger ground clearance. For example, last weekend I
went to a beach...all parking slots on pavement were occupied, so I parked
my Subaru on a dirt road with small rocks - no problem...had it been a
regular car I would have scratched its bottom for sure.
But I'm tired of Subarus because their automatic transmissions suck - and
I'm too lazy to drive stick.
Audi's get great reviews (on edmunds.com and Consumer Reports), but it seems
hard to get a rugged Audi (except for their SUV, of course).

Boris

Old September 6th 07, 06:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
boris

"John & Ninetta" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Thanks for response. But Allroad is no longer sold in US, is it?

> Last production year forNorth America was 2005. Have you looked into a
> used vehicle?
>
> John

I see. Maybe it's worth investigating...but I probably won't buy a new car
for another year or two - by that time 2005 models will be 4-5 years old
already.

Boris

Old September 7th 07, 01:29 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
John & Ninetta

> I see. Maybe it's worth investigating...but I probably won't buy a new car
> for another year or two - by that time 2005 models will be 4-5 years old
> already.
>
> Boris

True, but most owners of Allroads (including myself) take good care of them.
Lots of people on this group have other Audis 15-20 years old and are still
driving them.

In Canada, only about 300-400 were sold every year it was sold, making it
somewhat uncommon and currently in demand as a used vehicle. When it was
originally on the market, it was the best crossover vehicle out there (not
only in appearance, but certainly in performance).

John
Allroad 04