Serious Bentley Manual Problems

Old September 22nd 04, 03:40 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

lol you sound like a bad penny Kent! If I were Bentley I would give you
both CDs to appease you and promote customer satisfaction! <g>

I have quite a few of the Popular Mechanics Auto Repair Manuals on CD new
and unopened that I bought from one of the Kmart stores for about $2 each.
The activation support from Alldata is no longer offered, but they will
offer me a years subscription for their online information.
I did this for my 88 Jeep and I found the info online slightly helpful, but
I did not use it all of the time. I have paper manuals for most vehicles.
Of course then after a year I would have to pay $14.95 per vehicle. NOT!

So it is possible to purchase new but obsolete stuff, then get stuck with no
support and only a little satisfaction. :-(

JMHO
later,
dave

"Kent" > wrote in message
news
> I disagree. The CD case clearly says that the CD will run on Windows
> 95/98/NT and Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer 4 or higher. Bentley
> may consider this an obsolete "out of circulation" version, but they are
> still out there in the supply chain being sold to unwitting consumers

(like
> me) as new. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate that the CD is
> out-of-date. In fact, I had to give Bentley software support a number off
> the CD itself before they could tell me that I had the obsolete version.

Why
> should my distributor be held responsible when the case represents that it
> will run on systems that Bentley now concedes that it won't? Bentley is
> ultimately responsible for providing updates, equitable exchanges, or full
> refunds if their product does not function as advertised. This is

especially

Old September 22nd 04, 03:58 AM
Biz

"Kent" > wrote in message
news
> I disagree. The CD case clearly says that the CD will run on Windows
> 95/98/NT and Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer 4 or higher. Bentley
> may consider this an obsolete "out of circulation" version, but they are
> still out there in the supply chain being sold to unwitting consumers

(like
> me) as new. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate that the CD is
> out-of-date. In fact, I had to give Bentley software support a number off
> the CD itself before they could tell me that I had the obsolete version.

Why
> should my distributor be held responsible when the case represents that it
> will run on systems that Bentley now concedes that it won't? Bentley is
> ultimately responsible for providing updates, equitable exchanges, or full
> refunds if their product does not function as advertised. This is

especially
> true when you consider the outrageous pricing for the CD version. Instead
> they are beating around the bush, offering non-equitable exchanges, and
> hoping it will all go away. I won't go away.

Return it to the place you purchased for full refund. Done, end of story,
since its effectively defective.

Decide whether you want to order version 2 or go with the hard copy manual.

Old September 22nd 04, 11:15 AM
Joseph Meehan

Kent wrote:
> So I can NEVER update my browser, or my $82 CD service manual will be
> rendered useless. That's some fine software support.

Who are you mad at? If you had a car that needed leaded gas, and then
the gas stations stopped selling it (as they did) can you blame the auto
manufacturer? How did Bentley know Microsoft was going to make changes that
would not allow their product to function. There are thousands of software
products that will not function on current computers. That is the way of
computers. Things change. Sorry it cost you, but it happens to everyone.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 22nd 04, 11:40 AM
Joseph Meehan

Kent wrote:
> I disagree. The CD case clearly says that the CD will run on Windows
> 95/98/NT and Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer 4 or higher.

Which was true when Bentley was selling that version.

> Bentley
> may consider this an obsolete "out of circulation" version, but they are
> still out there in the supply chain

Bentley is not putting them into the supply chain.

> being sold to unwitting consumers (like
> me) as new. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate that the CD is
> out-of-date.

It was not out of date when it was packaged. It was sold to you by a
third party who should have told you it was out of date. How do you expect
Bentley to fix the situation on product they no longer own. Get a life and
blame the right people. Take it up with the people who sold you the out of
date product.

> In fact, I had to give Bentley software support a number off
> the CD itself before they could tell me that I had the obsolete version.
> Why
> should my distributor be held responsible when the case represents that it
> will run on systems that Bentley now concedes that it won't?

How could Bentley know Microsoft was going to make changes that would
keep it from running. Chill out man.

> Bentley is
> ultimately responsible for providing updates, equitable exchanges, or full
> refunds if their product does not function as advertised.

Since when?

> This is especially
> true when you consider the outrageous pricing for the CD version. Instead
> they are beating around the bush, offering non-equitable exchanges, and
> hoping it will all go away. I won't go away.

So want are you going to do. Get a life.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 22nd 04, 11:44 AM
Joseph Meehan

Kent wrote:
> I disagree. The CD case clearly says that the CD will run on Windows
> 95/98/NT and Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer 4 or higher. Bentley
> may consider this an obsolete "out of circulation" version, but they are
> still out there in the supply chain being sold to unwitting consumers
> (like
> me) as new. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate that the CD is
> out-of-date. In fact, I had to give Bentley software support a number off
> the CD itself before they could tell me that I had the obsolete version.
> Why
> should my distributor be held responsible when the case represents that it
> will run on systems that Bentley now concedes that it won't? Bentley is
> ultimately responsible for providing updates, equitable exchanges, or full
> refunds if their product does not function as advertised. This is
> especially
> true when you consider the outrageous pricing for the CD version. Instead
> they are beating around the bush, offering non-equitable exchanges, and
> hoping it will all go away. I won't go away.

The more I think about this the more it sounds like you bought this from
a bootlegger and you knew full well that it was an iffy product and bought
it anyway. Now you found it you were ripped off by the seller and you are
mad but you know full well the seller is just going to laugh in your face
now that he has your moeny.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 22nd 04, 01:50 PM
dave

Another suggestion............
If it is that important to you to be able to use this CD then buy an older
computer, or one that is running WIN98SE (recommended by Bentley when that CD
was brand new back in the last millennium) and be happy! It works for me! <g>

I might try one of these early CD versions on my WINXP computers to see what
problems I will encounter.

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old September 22nd 04, 02:26 PM
Tony Bad

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
> > So I can NEVER update my browser, or my $82 CD service manual will be
> > rendered useless. That's some fine software support.

> Who are you mad at? If you had a car that needed leaded gas, and then
> the gas stations stopped selling it (as they did) can you blame the auto
> manufacturer? How did Bentley know Microsoft was going to make changes that
> would not allow their product to function. There are thousands of software
> products that will not function on current computers. That is the way of
> computers. Things change. Sorry it cost you, but it happens to everyone.

Most product distributors have a policy in place to alert their retailers that
they have old, expired, or useless products on the shelf and make arrangements
to pull those products back before something like this happens. If Bentley had
no such plan in place, it is yet another example of how unprepared they were/are
to be selling this type of product. If in your example, the auto manufacturer
made no attempt to assist those who had their now useless product, I am sure you
wouldn't be too happy either.

--
Tony Bad

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old September 22nd 04, 02:38 PM
Tony Bad

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
> > I disagree. The CD case clearly says that the CD will run on Windows
> > 95/98/NT and Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer 4 or higher.

> Which was true when Bentley was selling that version.
>
> > Bentley
> > may consider this an obsolete "out of circulation" version, but they are
> > still out there in the supply chain

> Bentley is not putting them into the supply chain.
>
> > being sold to unwitting consumers (like
> > me) as new. There is nothing on the packaging to indicate that the CD is
> > out-of-date.

> It was not out of date when it was packaged. It was sold to you by a
> third party who should have told you it was out of date. How do you expect
> Bentley to fix the situation on product they no longer own. Get a life and
> blame the right people. Take it up with the people who sold you the out of
> date product.
>
> > In fact, I had to give Bentley software support a number off
> > the CD itself before they could tell me that I had the obsolete version.
> > Why
> > should my distributor be held responsible when the case represents that it
> > will run on systems that Bentley now concedes that it won't?

> How could Bentley know Microsoft was going to make changes that would
> keep it from running. Chill out man.
>
> > Bentley is
> > ultimately responsible for providing updates, equitable exchanges, or full
> > refunds if their product does not function as advertised.

> Since when?
>
> > This is especially
> > true when you consider the outrageous pricing for the CD version. Instead
> > they are beating around the bush, offering non-equitable exchanges, and
> > hoping it will all go away. I won't go away.

> So want are you going to do. Get a life.

I think your comments are unreasonable. Lets say you and many others have an HP
printer and the drivers no longer work after a microsoft update. HP could help
their good customers by making a downloadable update available, or they could
let you just twist in the wind and say even though the product you bought says
HP on it, it isn't their problem. So what does HP and virtually every other
computer related company do? They find a way to help, not screw, their customers
by providing some type of update. That is pretty standard practice.

....And...as Kent points out, the case says what systems it will work on, leaving
the retailer in the dark. The retailers read the package, and it says it should
work, so how have they done anything wrong? If autozone sells me a fram filter
that says it fits on my VW, and it doesn't, who is wrong, the retailer or the
person who packaged the item incorrectly? Autozone is a big outfit who will eat
the problem even if it isn't their fault. Many of the internet retailers are
lower volume operators and can't be as generous. There are also issues about
returning opened software.

I don't get the "chill out" and "get a life" comments. The complaint seems
reasonable to me. Are your comments aimed at the man or the issue?

Old September 22nd 04, 03:05 PM
starburst

Joseph Meehan wrote:

> The more I think about this the more it sounds like you bought this from
> a bootlegger and you knew full well that it was an iffy product and bought
> it anyway. Now you found it you were ripped off by the seller and you are
> mad but you know full well the seller is just going to laugh in your face
> now that he has your moeny.

I'm also surprised at your attitude on this one. If Bentley knows that
the product is pirated, that's one thing. But if not, and they know that
there's an update issue and they've fixed it, why don't they just send
him a new CD? He's paid for the copyright on the material. It'll cost
Bentley all of about a 50 cents and postage. The bad rep doesn't seem
worth the hassle.

-Chris
Old September 22nd 04, 08:29 PM
Joseph Meehan

Tony Bad wrote:
> "Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>> So I can NEVER update my browser, or my $82 CD service manual will be
>>> rendered useless. That's some fine software support.

>> Who are you mad at? If you had a car that needed leaded gas, and
>> then
>> the gas stations stopped selling it (as they did) can you blame the auto
>> manufacturer? How did Bentley know Microsoft was going to make changes
>> that would not allow their product to function. There are thousands of
>> software products that will not function on current computers. That is
>> the way of computers. Things change. Sorry it cost you, but it happens
>> to everyone.
>>

> Most product distributors have a policy in place to alert their retailers
> that they have old, expired, or useless products on the shelf and make
> arrangements to pull those products back before something like this
> happens. If Bentley had no such plan in place, it is yet another example
> of
> how unprepared they were/are to be selling this type of product. If in
> your
> example, the auto manufacturer made no attempt to assist those who had
> their now useless product, I am sure you wouldn't be too happy either.

The auto manufacturers did nothing as far as I know. Oh they did
suggest you could replace your valves and seats, but they did not offer any
free work.

I don't know if Bentley notified their distributors, but somehow I doubt
if everyone would have gotten the word.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math