square to round headlight conversion

Old September 20th 04, 07:44 PM
Chris Etzel

Default square to round headlight conversion

Is it possible to take the square headlights out of my 89 Jetta Wolfy and
put in the round European headlights ?

My apologies if its a duplicate post. I couldn't find it in the search.

Chris
Old September 20th 04, 07:56 PM
Ingo Braune

Chris Etzel wrote:
> Is it possible to take the square headlights out of my 89 Jetta Wolfy and
> put in the round European headlights ?

If you mean the "round European GOLF headlights", yes, but you will need
a new rad-support and a new grille of course.
A2 Jettas in europe had always rectangular headlights - European
headlights of course - that did fit the same rad support and grille as
the "aero" lights.

Ingo

Old September 20th 04, 07:58 PM
dave

>From: Chris Etzel
>
>Is it possible to take the square headlights out of my 89 Jetta Wolfy and
>put in the round European headlights ?

I think you will need a new radiator support (suitable for the round
headlights) and a grille.
Of course you will need the headlights, and fog lights if you are going that
route also. ;-)

Some 92 GTs or GTis had round headlights.

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old September 20th 04, 09:19 PM
Biz

There are complete kits to do the conversion, one place that has them is
The Parts PLace in Auburn Hills, MI

. ..

Old September 21st 04, 01:14 AM
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

Ingo Braune > wrote in message >...
> Chris Etzel wrote:
> > Is it possible to take the square headlights out of my 89 Jetta Wolfy and
> > put in the round European headlights ?

> If you mean the "round European GOLF headlights", yes, but you will need
> a new rad-support and a new grille of course.
> A2 Jettas in europe had always rectangular headlights - European
> headlights of course - that did fit the same rad support and grille as
> the "aero" lights.

To elaborate just a bit, all A2s (85-92 Golfs and Jettas) have
interchangable
grille/headlight setups. To switch between the three OEM setups in
the US
(small squares on the 85 Golfs; aero headlights on 85-92 Jettas, 86-92
Golfs,
and 86-90 GTIs; and 16v-style rounds on the 90-92 GTIs), one needs the
appropriate radiator support, headlights, and grille. You can get a
dual-round
(Euro-spec 8v Golf style) setup for around $200, probably; you should
be able
to find a quad-round (Euro-spec 16v GTI style, similar to US-spec
90-92 GTIs)
for around $300. If you do go to aftermarket lights, you may also
need to
do some minor wiring work and install relays; most of the aftermarket
suppliers sell European-spec lamps, not the US-spec crap that we got
OEM.
For more info on US versus European-spec headlights, check out Daniel
Stern Lighting at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Examples of aftermarket suppliers who can sell you headlight/grille
kits:
http://www.fastvws.com/acatalog/FAST..._Kits_2.h tml
http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (I don't see kits, but they do have
grilles
and headlights...they may or may not have radiator supports)
http://www.parts4vws.com/ (again, I don't see kits, but they do have
headlights
and grilles...I suspect they can get radiator supports as well)
http://www.oldskoolindustries.com/ca...products_id=78
Old September 21st 04, 02:38 AM
DruG

I found the best price for me locally was $350. CDN tax inc. for the rad
support, grill(no emblem), 2 headlights, two foglights and some wiring and
bulbs. Should be cheaper without the fog's. I got it from Autobahn
Dismantlers out of Langley, BC Canada.

-Andrew

The Sob story of it. I did the switch cause I busted up the front end and
had to replace it all anyways. Then 6 months later I smashed all my new
stuff in a freak low speed spin. ( The only two accidents of my 8 year
driving career) Don't even have any pics to remember how cool it looked.

Old September 21st 04, 05:25 AM
Will

http://www.autobahndismantlers.com/