1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)?

Old April 22nd 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)?

Here's the short question. I'll follow it with the long question.

I am looking to replace the fuel filter on my 1993 Saturn. I was
looking on ebay and most are for DOHC engines. Question. Will the OHC
engine accept a fuel pump that states it is for the DOHC?

LONG QUESTION:

I have been storing this car for son when he turns 16. (He has) The
car was given to me about 2 years ago by my mom. She took absolute
perfect care of the car, having it maintained at EVERY INTERVAL. She
gave it to me, and I have never driven it. I unfortunetely didnt take
the proper care for the car for the last couple of years. (#1, I didnt
drain the fuel tank). I have started it approximately every 2 months,
and it has always started up perfectly. Unfortunetely, the weekend
that I planned to get it ready to give to my son, I couldn't get the
thing to start.

I replaced the Battery and checked the plugs. It had a 1/4 tank of gas
at the time. After it not starting, I put about another 1/4 tank of
gas into it, to make sure there was some good fuel in it. Nothing.

The thing is, I dont even smell any fumes in the engine compartment. As
though no fuel is getting to the injectors. One friend told me to
replace the fuel filter first, another told me to check and see if I
hear a 'Hummmmm' when I turn the key. (I dont'!!)

Therefore, I am assuming the worst and plan on replacing the Pump.

Question is, Does anyone have any input as to the problem, Abd second.
There are pumps on eBay for $50.00 but they state they are for a DOHC
engine. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Single OverHead Cam
Engine will take the same pump. (Bolting and all)

Thanks all for any input,

Jason

Old April 22nd 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In article . com>,
says...
> Here's the short question. I'll follow it with the long question.
>
> I am looking to replace the fuel filter on my 1993 Saturn. I was
> looking on ebay and most are for DOHC engines. Question. Will the OHC
> engine accept a fuel pump that states it is for the DOHC?
>
> LONG QUESTION:
>
> I have been storing this car for son when he turns 16. (He has) The
> car was given to me about 2 years ago by my mom. She took absolute
> perfect care of the car, having it maintained at EVERY INTERVAL. She
> gave it to me, and I have never driven it. I unfortunetely didnt take
> the proper care for the car for the last couple of years. (#1, I didnt
> drain the fuel tank). I have started it approximately every 2 months,
> and it has always started up perfectly. Unfortunetely, the weekend
> that I planned to get it ready to give to my son, I couldn't get the
> thing to start.
>
> I replaced the Battery and checked the plugs. It had a 1/4 tank of gas
> at the time. After it not starting, I put about another 1/4 tank of
> gas into it, to make sure there was some good fuel in it. Nothing.
>
> The thing is, I dont even smell any fumes in the engine compartment. As
> though no fuel is getting to the injectors. One friend told me to
> replace the fuel filter first, another told me to check and see if I
> hear a 'Hummmmm' when I turn the key. (I dont'!!)
>
> Therefore, I am assuming the worst and plan on replacing the Pump.
>
> Question is, Does anyone have any input as to the problem, Abd second.
> There are pumps on eBay for $50.00 but they state they are for a DOHC
> engine. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Single OverHead Cam
> Engine will take the same pump. (Bolting and all)
>
> Thanks all for any input,
>
> Jason

Short answer yes they do differ.

Goto advanceautoparts.com and call up the parts you are looking for and
compair part numbers between the two engines. If you are looking on ebay
for used fuel pumps, stop right now. No history, no way to inspect them,
and no returns for faulty units. Check fuses and the wiring harness near
the fuel pump. Also look for signs of mice if you have them as they may
have chewed on something.
Old April 25th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Jason....start with easy things first.

Before you replace the pump, consider checking the pump fuse to make
sure it's ok. I will be located underneath the console, behind a little
panel on the passenger side (refer to the car manual for fuse number
and location). I would also check the underhood junction block to see
if there are any fuses there for the pump but I doubt it.

The little hummmmm you're talking about comes from the back of the car
where the fuel tank is and it might be hard to notice by some, so I
would try to fold down the rear seats and turn the ignition key to ACC
(I think this is the spot, just one click shy from START). If you're
still not sure if you hear it, try getting someone to listen in the
back.

If the noise still isn't present...check the wiring connections to the
pump. Make sure you've got voltage going there when the ignition key is
turned (12 volt bulb should be adequeate in lieu of a DC voltmeter).

If the voltage is there but not the hummmmm, then you can safely assume
it's the pump.

Alex

Old April 25th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

<<The car was given to me about 2 years ago...I have never driven
it...I didnt drain the fuel tank>>

It's probably too late to help you, but for the benefit of lurkers -
gasoline only "keeps" for a few months. After that, it can form varnish
or gum up the fuel system. For longer term storage, you can add a
stabilizer to it, such as this one -
http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm

John Cowart

Old April 26th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Here's the short question. I'll follow it with the long question.
>
> I am looking to replace the fuel filter on my 1993 Saturn. I was
> looking on ebay and most are for DOHC engines. Question. Will the OHC
> engine accept a fuel pump that states it is for the DOHC?

snip

Do a Google groups search on 'S series fuel pump wiring' it may be your
problem.

Your post is confusing as you start out talking about replacing a fuel
filter then you are talking about replacing your pump.

You should complete ALL POSSIBLE diagnostics to confirm a failed pump before
you start thinking about replacing it. It is a big job as IIRC it requires
dropping the tank. I would be surprised if your pump would fail from low
usage.

The pump will only operate for a few seconds to build up pressure when the
key is turned to on before attempting a start. If you do not hear a sound
wait a minute before trying again.

Do not buy a used pump if it may be hard or impossible to return it if it is
NFG.

Good luck, YMMV

Old April 26th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Here's the short question. I'll follow it with the long question.
>
> I am looking to replace the fuel filter on my 1993 Saturn. I was
> looking on ebay and most are for DOHC engines. Question. Will the OHC
> engine accept a fuel pump that states it is for the DOHC?

snip

Do a Google groups search on 'S series fuel pump wiring'.

Your post is confusing as you start talking about changing a filter then
talk about changing a pump. Do ALL POSSIBLE diagnostics BEFORE deciding to
change the pump as IIRC it is a big job and requires dropping the tank.

Listen for the pump to operate for a few seconds to build up pressure when
the key is turned on. Expect to wait a minute before trying again.

Do not buy a pump you cannot return if it is NFG.

Good luck, YMMV

Old April 26th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"bo peep" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> <<The car was given to me about 2 years ago...I have never driven
> it...I didnt drain the fuel tank>>
>
> It's probably too late to help you, but for the benefit of lurkers -
> gasoline only "keeps" for a few months. After that, it can form varnish
> or gum up the fuel system. For longer term storage, you can add a
> stabilizer to it, such as this one -
> http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm
>
> John Cowart

I keep hearing about this but personally have never had a problem even after
lengthy storage approaching two years. There can be problems with bacteria
growth in diesel fuel but AFAIK this is not normally a problem with
gasoline. I am sure climate has a lot to do with it, and I would worry more
about water in the fuel or gas. I would also worry about internal engine
corrosion and especially corrosion in the exhaust caused by starting the
engine but not operating long enough to completely dry out the exhaust and
muffler piping..

I do suggest storage with tank completely full or completely empty.

YMMV

Old May 21st 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Hi Everyone. I am the original poster of this topic, and wanted to
give an update.

Just wanted to let everyone know, that the Saturn is up and running
perfectly.

It was the Fuel Pump. I got a chiltons from ebay, and went ahead and
irdered a Pump from there also. Brand new. In packaging even with a
replacement O-Ring. I was very impressed. Especially since it was
only $65.00.

Anyway, I tested the wiring harnes in the trunk first before pulling
out the tank. I got 12 volts for a few seconds when the ignition was
turned on. Then it dropped. I therefore new, that power was getting
to the pump.

I was surprised how easy and smooth the job went. Especially since I
dont usually do that kind of work on cars.

The only scare I had, was when I was done, I went and turned the
ignition to ACC and didnt hear anything. OOOps. Forgot to re-attach
the Neg Battery Cable. Did that, and there was the beautiful Hummmmm.

Bitchin, Car started right up.

Now, gonna change the oil, and should be ready to go.

Thanks all for the advice in this post. I used it.

Jason
Private wrote:
> "bo peep" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > <<The car was given to me about 2 years ago...I have never driven
> > it...I didnt drain the fuel tank>>
> >
> > It's probably too late to help you, but for the benefit of lurkers -
> > gasoline only "keeps" for a few months. After that, it can form varnish
> > or gum up the fuel system. For longer term storage, you can add a
> > stabilizer to it, such as this one -
> > http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm
> >
> > John Cowart
> >

> I keep hearing about this but personally have never had a problem even after
> lengthy storage approaching two years. There can be problems with bacteria
> growth in diesel fuel but AFAIK this is not normally a problem with
> gasoline. I am sure climate has a lot to do with it, and I would worry more
> about water in the fuel or gas. I would also worry about internal engine
> corrosion and especially corrosion in the exhaust caused by starting the
> engine but not operating long enough to completely dry out the exhaust and
> muffler piping..
>
> I do suggest storage with tank completely full or completely empty.
>
> YMMV

Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
How hard to replace pipe connecting to fuel filter Ed Honda 3 September 15th 05 02:34 PM
93 F-350 fuel filter question. TomO Technology 4 August 29th 05 11:15 PM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM