Accessory Belt Tensioner Replacement

Old May 18th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Accessory Belt Tensioner Replacement

On a 1998 SC1 has anyone changed the accessory belt tensioner? How is this
done and is it a do-it-yourselfer job?

Old May 19th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Thu, 18 May 2006 14:25:29 -0400, in rec.autos.makers.saturn "NDL"
> wrote:

>On a 1998 SC1 has anyone changed the accessory belt tensioner? How is this
>done and is it a do-it-yourselfer job?

According to my Haynes*, you should have a similar engine to my '95
SW.

I changed out the tensioner a couple of years ago. It's a hand-tool
job, although the workspace is kind of tight.

Use a big crescent wrench (14 or 15mm, I forget which) on the
tensioner pulley bolt to rotate the tensioner arm and remove the belt.
Use a 10mm wrench to remove the two(?) bolts that hold the tensioner
to the engine block. On my car, I was able to get one with a socket
wrench, but I had to use a box-end on the other; not enough clearance
for the socket. Put the new tensioner on, rotate the pulley, replace
the belt (with a new one; personal preference) and you're good to go.
Total time; maybe fifteen to twenty minutes, maybe less. Depends how
difficult it is to break loose the bolts.

* - A worthwhile investment, IMO. I've bought one for every car I've
owned.

--
Money can't buy happiness, but it can let you rent it for a while...
Old May 21st 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"William Hughes" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 14:25:29 -0400, in rec.autos.makers.saturn "NDL"
> > wrote:
>
>>On a 1998 SC1 has anyone changed the accessory belt tensioner? How is
>>this
>>done and is it a do-it-yourselfer job?

> According to my Haynes*, you should have a similar engine to my '95
> SW.
>
> I changed out the tensioner a couple of years ago. It's a hand-tool
> job, although the workspace is kind of tight.
>
> Use a big crescent wrench (14 or 15mm, I forget which) on the
> tensioner pulley bolt to rotate the tensioner arm and remove the belt.
> Use a 10mm wrench to remove the two(?) bolts that hold the tensioner
> to the engine block. On my car, I was able to get one with a socket
> wrench, but I had to use a box-end on the other; not enough clearance
> for the socket. Put the new tensioner on, rotate the pulley, replace
> the belt (with a new one; personal preference) and you're good to go.
> Total time; maybe fifteen to twenty minutes, maybe less. Depends how
> difficult it is to break loose the bolts.
>
> * - A worthwhile investment, IMO. I've bought one for every car I've
> owned.

The tensioner adjustment bolt is a 9/16".

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
1996 Grand Caravan 3.3L belt tensioner issue [email protected] Chrysler 17 March 26th 06 12:22 PM
Unbelievable: Belt will not fit on new tensioner! Julie P. Technology 30 September 30th 05 05:52 AM
question about timing belt tensioner [email protected] Technology 6 September 19th 05 07:41 PM
Belt replacement on a 2.4 JTD be037446 Alfa Romeo 4 November 4th 04 10:41 PM