BMW's nothing but problems??? Really???

Old February 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default BMW's nothing but problems??? Really???

Fred W wrote:
> Randy wrote:
>

>>4) The 0-60 times for the 330 are only 1 second slower than the M3 (6.2
>>vs 5.2, respectively).

> Yes, only one second longer, but that represents a 20% slower
> acceleration. That is something one can definitely feel in your
> "seat-of-the-pants" accelerometer.

But how often do you engage the over thrusters? If it's only once a
week, is that worth the extra $15,000?

To me, it's not. For half that money, I'd rather buy a REAL rocket sled
(used) -- a superbike. IMHO, my bike is ten times the thrill of my M3.

Randy
Old February 6th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
Randy > wrote:
> I want an auto that shifts when I want it to, does not shift down when I
> don't want it to, and that does not slow down my car. SMGs do this.
> Automatics do not. The most advanced race cars use SMGs to get maximum
> performance: Formula, dragsters. etc.

But you're buying a street car? And not even the most powerful model in
the range? Oh - most dragsters use torque convertor transmissions.

> The SMG M3 is faster than the manual M3; probably this is true of the
> 330 too.

Is it?

> Finally, for personal reasons, I probably should avoid using a clutch.

But you said in your last post you'd probably end up with a manual. Do it
- far more fun for a keen driver. And with skill you can also drive it
smoothly at low speeds or when carrying passengers - something the SMG
can't manage. All the gearchanges are rougher than a well driven manual.

> You argue that, if the masses like something, it must be good. If so,
> you should be driving a Toyota Camry.

I don't even know what one looks like. It's not common in the UK.

I like autos. And proper manuals. What I don't like is a poor compromise
between them. Especially when people say they're used in F1 cars.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 7th 06, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:03:49 -0600, Randy > wrote:

>Fred W wrote:
>> Randy wrote:

>>>4) The 0-60 times for the 330 are only 1 second slower than the M3 (6.2
>>>vs 5.2, respectively).

>But how often do you engage the over thrusters? If it's only once a
>week, is that worth the extra $15,000?

Mmmmm. Over thrusters. Do I sense a Buckaroo Banzai aficionado?
--
Dan.
Old February 7th 06, 01:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Randy wrote:
> Fred W wrote:
>
>>Randy wrote:
>>

>>>4) The 0-60 times for the 330 are only 1 second slower than the M3 (6.2
>>>vs 5.2, respectively).

>>Yes, only one second longer, but that represents a 20% slower
>>acceleration. That is something one can definitely feel in your
>>"seat-of-the-pants" accelerometer.

> But how often do you engage the over thrusters? If it's only once a
> week, is that worth the extra $15,000?
>
> To me, it's not. For half that money, I'd rather buy a REAL rocket sled
> (used) -- a superbike. IMHO, my bike is ten times the thrill of my M3.
>
> Randy

I happen to agree with you, mostly (I own a Ducati). I just wanted to
point out that "1 second" was not so insignificant. Also, you get a lot
more than the "1 second" difference for the money. But the M3 is
apparently not aimed at you as a buyer.

--
-Fred W
Old February 7th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dean Dark wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:03:49 -0600, Randy > wrote:
>

>>Fred W wrote:

>>But how often do you engage the over thrusters? If it's only once a
>>week, is that worth the extra $15,000?

> Mmmmm. Over thrusters. Do I sense a Buckaroo Banzai aficionado?

To quote Sensei Smothers, "I see by your outfit you are a cowboy too."

Randy
Old February 7th 06, 09:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Fred W wrote:
> Randy wrote:
>
>>Fred W wrote:
>>
>>>Randy wrote:
>>>... For half that money, I'd rather buy a REAL rocket sled

>>(used) -- a superbike. IMHO, my bike is ten times the thrill of my M3.
>>
>> Randy

> I happen to agree with you, mostly (I own a Ducati). I just wanted to
> point out that "1 second" was not so insignificant. Also, you get a lot
> more than the "1 second" difference for the money. But the M3 is
> apparently not aimed at you as a buyer.

That observation has interesting implications. If the M3 is not
intended to appeal to a 40-something who gets his speed fix from a sport
bike, then it seems to me that the M3 has a pretty small target audience
-- (mostly) males (mostly) under 40 who are (mostly) willing to part
with $60k to buy a new car that (mostly) doesn't outperform a
significantly cheaper version of the same car. (Based on off-track
performance figures from Road&Track road tests.)

Or is buying an M3 largely an ego/image/youngster thing?

I'm at that crossroads right now. Some time later this week, I'll buy
either a used 330Ci sport w/ manual tranny or an M3 that costs about
$15k more.

The M3 *is* red, it has the nav system, and SMG...

But $15k *is* $15k...

Randy
Old February 20th 06, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I finally found a BMW!!!. Like people have posted the SMG on a 330ci
convertable is rare (didn't find one nationwide) so I settled for a
2004 330ci with 6 speed manual. After driving several 330's with
steptronic there just was no comparison... So I searched the whole
state of CA and found one in San Diego. 19k miles 6yr/100k warranty
with Premium, Sport, Winter, HK, packages in showroom condition. The 6
hour drive home that normally takes 8 was awesome!!!

Thanks again to all with the great feedback...

Now the questions I have a

1. What is the best online site to buy parts and products from?
2. Does it really make a difference washing the softtop and weather
sealing with BMW products?
3. Where's the best place to get a removable hardtop?

TIA,

Dan

Old February 20th 06, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"szguitar" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I finally found a BMW!!!. Like people have posted the SMG on a 330ci
> convertable is rare (didn't find one nationwide) so I settled for a
> 2004 330ci with 6 speed manual. After driving several 330's with
> steptronic there just was no comparison... So I searched the whole
> state of CA and found one in San Diego. 19k miles 6yr/100k warranty
> with Premium, Sport, Winter, HK, packages in showroom condition. The 6
> hour drive home that normally takes 8 was awesome!!!
>
> Thanks again to all with the great feedback...
>
> Now the questions I have a
>
> 1. What is the best online site to buy parts and products from?
> 2. Does it really make a difference washing the softtop and weather
> sealing with BMW products?

Best bet for washing is the Raggtopp cleaner, followed by treatment with the
Raggtopp protectant. For the weather seals, GummiPflege is great, if you
can find it.

Enjoy your convertible!

Tom K.

Old February 20th 06, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

szguitar wrote:
> I finally found a BMW!!!. Like people have posted the SMG on a 330ci
> convertable is rare (didn't find one nationwide) so I settled for a
> 2004 330ci with 6 speed manual. After driving several 330's with
> steptronic there just was no comparison... So I searched the whole
> state of CA and found one in San Diego. 19k miles 6yr/100k warranty
> with Premium, Sport, Winter, HK, packages in showroom condition. The 6
> hour drive home that normally takes 8 was awesome!!!
>
> Thanks again to all with the great feedback...
>
> Now the questions I have a
>
> 1. What is the best online site to buy parts and products from?
> 2. Does it really make a difference washing the softtop and weather
> sealing with BMW products?
> 3. Where's the best place to get a removable hardtop?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dan

Nice! Oddly enough, in the past week I bought a red 2002 M3 that's
wired to the gills (SMG, navigation, etc). :-)

I suspect you made the right choice of transmission. The SMG takes some
getting used to, and unless you're committed to having an automatic, the
manual is probably more enjoyable. Compared to a manual tranny the SMG
does feel a little disconnected. Maybe I just need to train it some more.

But gawd almighty the SMG is fast! No human can shift that quick. On a
race course I'd take the SMG in a heartbeat.

And it is nice, as I answer my cell phone, to be able to shift the
tranny from manual to auto mode...

1) I've found useful stuff at www.bavauto.com and www.pelicanparts.com.

2) No idea. I'd just use something better than Armor All. I need to do
this too.

3) Ebay, probably. Do they make hardtops for the 330Ci? Seems like
it'd be a damned heavy beast.

Randy
Old February 21st 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Yeah, I found quite a few M3's also but not 330ci convertables with a
SMG tranny. I loved the M3, It was like riding my Yamaha R-6. I just
thought for everyday driving it might get old. I take my R-6 on the
track at 140+ MPH and ride it around town but I wouldn't want to ride
it everyday a couple of hours. Plus, I couldn't afford the tickets.
Which was the same for me between the M3 and 330ci. The 330ci doesn't
have the initial acceleration of the M3 but it still has a great feel
of the road with a more comfortable ride.

I've seen several 330ci convertibles on sale claiming they had the
hardtop for it. Just, looked at ebay and none available. I'll double
check with BMW.

Dan

FAQ for this newsgroup Dima BMW 5 May 11th 05 10:19 PM
various problems with my MX nytrex Mazda 6 February 7th 05 07:08 PM
Need more information on E36 and E30 BMWs Lukasz A Kaczmarek BMW 5 December 11th 04 08:49 PM
STARTING PROBLEMS WITH EARLY BMW'S SPECIFICALLY 735IL Hans Van Der Heyden BMW 0 October 13th 04 09:09 AM
These problems normal for a 5-year-old Saturn? Philip Nasadowski Saturn 7 August 30th 04 03:55 AM