stupid crank pulley bolt

Old October 6th 04, 04:27 AM
disallow

Default stupid crank pulley bolt

OK I know its been posted like 1000 times, but I seriously
think that my pulley bolt is damaged or something, cuz no
matter what I do, it won't budge. So far I have tried:

1. 650ft/lb impact wrench with chain wrench and some
rubber belt wrapped around pulley to prevent it from
spinning. I broke the chain wrench.

2. The same set up with a 7 foot breaker bar.

3. the old put it in 5th and stand on the brake whilst
reefing on the bolt.

I dunno what else to do. I am ready to take it to Honda,
just to see if they can break it with their 1" impact.
But I am worried that it might break the bolt. What does
everyone think??

Old October 6th 04, 05:58 AM
motsco_ _

disallow wrote:
> OK I know its been posted like 1000 times, but I seriously
> think that my pulley bolt is damaged or something, cuz no
> matter what I do, it won't budge. So far I have tried:
>
> 1. 650ft/lb impact wrench with chain wrench and some
> rubber belt wrapped around pulley to prevent it from
> spinning. I broke the chain wrench.
>
> 2. The same set up with a 7 foot breaker bar.
>

> 3. the old put it in 5th and stand on the brake whilst
> reefing on the bolt.
>
> I dunno what else to do. I am ready to take it to Honda,
> just to see if they can break it with their 1" impact.
> But I am worried that it might break the bolt. What does
> everyone think??

===================

Last guy put LockTite on it, rather than oil, per the manual.

Ain't torque amazing?

'Curly'

=============

Old October 6th 04, 05:59 AM
Chopface

disallow wrote:
> OK I know its been posted like 1000 times, but I seriously
> think that my pulley bolt is damaged or something, cuz no
> matter what I do, it won't budge. So far I have tried:
>
> 1. 650ft/lb impact wrench with chain wrench and some
> rubber belt wrapped around pulley to prevent it from
> spinning. I broke the chain wrench.
>
> 2. The same set up with a 7 foot breaker bar.
>

> 3. the old put it in 5th and stand on the brake whilst
> reefing on the bolt.
>
> I dunno what else to do. I am ready to take it to Honda,
> just to see if they can break it with their 1" impact.
> But I am worried that it might break the bolt. What does
> everyone think??

This may be a good start:

http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/honda.html

I did basically the same thing as on the webpage. Figure out a way to
keep the pulley from turning (I used a metal bar, like the webpage, but
had mine braced on the ground, not the car). Then get a good 1/2" drive
breaker bar and a 1/2" drive 20" extension to get outside the fender.
Put a big pipe on the breaker bar (4-5 ft. worked for me) and watch your
extension twist over 90 degrees before the bolt breaks loose as you put
your weight on the pipe. Supporting the axis of rotation of the
extension per the web page certainly will help things. Oh yeah, it won't
hurt to wear some eye protection too in case some of your tools break or
slip.

Mark
Old October 6th 04, 09:32 AM
Mista Bone

This is easy.

Apply PB Blaster to break loose the corrosion.

Now the "trick".........

using to hammers, hit the head of the pulley bolt 3-4 times hard.

Wait 30 minutes, repeat and wait 15-20 mintues, Bolt should come right off.

The nice Caduim plating Honda uses on their bolts, makes a very effective
thread locker.
lkaboutautos.com...