The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

Old September 14th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Colella

Default The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview
mirror off the windshield.

Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the
windshield did not fail; the glass did.

To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate
and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a
dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.

I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to-
windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what
is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?

Thanks!

Joe Colella

Old September 14th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:40:09 GMT, "Joe Colella"
> wrote:

>My son through <snip>

Try "threw."

> a baseball in the car knocking the rearview
>mirror off the windshield.
>
>Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the
>windshield did not fail; the glass did.
>
>To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate
>and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a
>dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.
>
>I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to-
>windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what
>is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface? <snip>

Uh...try moving the base plate up or down to avoid the chip? Permatex
mirror adhesive works well as long as you prep the glass as per
directions with 94% isopropyl alcohol, available at most pharmacies.
Don't just "Windex" the glass, as it does leave deposits, as does 70%
"rubbing" alcohol. Properly prepped, I've never had Permatex adhesive
fail on these repairs.
Old September 14th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

DeserTBoB > writes:

> "rubbing" alcohol. Properly prepped, I've never had Permatex adhesive
> fail on these repairs.

My experience was that a Las Cruces summer would cause it to fail; I
was putting it back on annually. JB Weld fixed it permanently.

I don't know where DesertBob is... if he's somewhere hotter than here
then I wasn't prepping it as well as I thought I was; if he's
somewhere cooler, then the Permatex adhesive doesn't stand up to
extreme heat.
Old September 14th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Colella

"DeserTBoB" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:40:09 GMT, "Joe Colella"
> > wrote:
>
>>My son through <snip>

> Try "threw."
>
>> a baseball in the car knocking the rearview
>>mirror off the windshield.
>>
>>Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the
>>windshield did not fail; the glass did.
>>
>>To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate
>>and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a
>>dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.
>>
>>I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to-
>>windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what
>>is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface? <snip>

> Uh...try moving the base plate up or down to avoid the chip? Permatex
> mirror adhesive works well as long as you prep the glass as per
> directions with 94% isopropyl alcohol, available at most pharmacies.
> Don't just "Windex" the glass, as it does leave deposits, as does 70%
> "rubbing" alcohol. Properly prepped, I've never had Permatex adhesive
> fail on these repairs.

Really, PERMATEX works on glass-to-glass as well as metal-to-glass?

Old September 14th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Colella

JB Weld for metal-to-glass and glass-to-glass...

That's good to know!

Thanks,

Joe

Old September 14th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"Joe Colella" > writes:

> JB Weld for metal-to-glass and glass-to-glass...

Of course, be aware that it *isn't* transparent.
Old September 14th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On 14 Sep 2006 11:12:22 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer >
wrote:

>DeserTBoB > writes:
>
>> "rubbing" alcohol. Properly prepped, I've never had Permatex adhesive
>> fail on these repairs.

>My experience was that a Las Cruces summer would cause it to fail; I
>was putting it back on annually. JB Weld fixed it permanently. <snip>

Been to Las Cruces...mild there!

>I don't know where DesertBob is... <snip>

Edge of the Mojave Desert.

>if he's somewhere hotter than here
>then I wasn't prepping it as well as I thought I was; if he's
>somewhere cooler, then the Permatex adhesive doesn't stand up to
>extreme heat. <snip>

115° here isn't uncommon, and the 2500 ft elevation provides excessive
UV year 'round.

If you used "rubbing alcohol" to prep the glass, that was your
undoing. "Rubbing alcohol" contains 5% glycerine by volume and is
unsuitable for industrial/mechanical cleaning purposes. It also
contains 25% water by volume.
Old September 14th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:55:52 GMT, "Joe Colella"
> wrote:

>Really, PERMATEX works on glass-to-glass as well as metal-to-glass?

Permatex REAR VIEW MIRROR ADHESIVE, yes. Permatex RTV or #2, no way.

Another Permatex product that works, but it a bit fragile: Rear
window defogger repair goop.
Old September 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Colella

Thanks!

Old September 14th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Colella

.... perhaps this was intuitively obvious to a PhD, but certainly not a
schmuck like me!

"Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message
> "Joe Colella" > writes:
>
>> JB Weld for metal-to-glass and glass-to-glass...

> Of course, be aware that it *isn't* transparent.
> --
> Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D. Phone -- (505) 646-1605
> Department of Computer Science FAX -- (505) 646-1002
> New Mexico State University http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer

The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga Joe Colella Technology 8 September 15th 06 12:54 PM
The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga Joe Colella General 0 September 14th 06 04:39 PM
The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga Joe Colella 4x4 0 September 14th 06 04:35 PM
Windshield Crack tull Audi 7 January 27th 06 02:58 PM
Windshield Repair Elle Honda 10 October 7th 05 09:31 PM