Cams

Old January 22nd 05, 07:52 PM

Default Cams

Not like I have the kinda $$ for this right now...

http://www.mustangtuning.com/vtst1ca.html

But I was looking at it & got curious. What kinda numbers are we looking at
for a car like mine with that sort of modification? I don't know a whole lot
about 'em... how much would it cost (avg) to get them installed? I'm
assuming a dyno tune would be helpful afterwards (if not mandatory).

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old January 25th 05, 12:45 AM
Erik D.

> Not like I have the kinda $$ for this right now...

http://www.mustangtuning.com/vtst1ca.html

> But I was looking at it & got curious. What kinda numbers are we looking at
> for a car like mine with that sort of modification? I don't know a whole lot
> about 'em... how much would it cost (avg) to get them installed? I'm
> assuming a dyno tune would be helpful afterwards (if not mandatory).
>
> -Mike

Mike, I think that those cams would be a good option, but only if you
did a headswap as well. The 98 heads aren't too bad, but they aren't
good either. With a set of ported PI heads and some better cams you
should be able to pick up quite a few horsepower in the upper rpm range.
With the few mods you have done to your car, I would doubt you would
see any kind of major gains with those cams. Just my .02
Erik D.
'94 white lightning(for sale)
'01 white GT

Old January 25th 05, 01:06 AM

I'm going to talk to my buddy's mechanic who has an extremely good
reputation this Saturday about some options for my car... he mentioned
turbocharging... which would be fairly unique I think.. but also be very
expensive I imagine. He does really good work.. charges $25/hr for Mike &
his friends (my name is Mike too... but my friend's name is Mike who knows
him) so I got a connection finally. I'll let you guys know.. and gals (sorry
Kate).

-Mike

Old January 25th 05, 06:14 PM
Erik D.

> I'm going to talk to my buddy's mechanic who has an extremely good
> reputation this Saturday about some options for my car... he mentioned
> turbocharging... which would be fairly unique I think.. but also be very
> expensive I imagine. He does really good work.. charges $25/hr for Mike &
> his friends (my name is Mike too... but my friend's name is Mike who knows
> him) so I got a connection finally. I'll let you guys know.. and gals (sorry
> Kate).

Turbo's are the shiznit. Yes, they can be quite expensive, and they can
be tough to tune, but once you get the bugs worked out of a good turbo
system its hard to beat. For example, my friends truck went 15.0 at
88(stock 95 lightning). He put a single T 76 turbo system on it and an
MSD ignition and went 13.1 at 105. No tune or anything and that was
with a 2.1 sixty foot. Then he added a tune, edelbrock heads, and some
traction bars. He went 12.5 @ 110 and he blew a head gasket at the
1000' mark and coasted the rest of the way. That was with a 2.4 sixty
and about 200 pounds of stuff in the bed. Like I say though, tuning
issues can be tough with turbos. In his case, the tune was fine, but
the speed limiter was still on(110 mph) so when he hit 110 the truck cut
off fuel and caused him to run lean, thus blowing the head gasket. I
would assume there are alot more turbo systems and tunes available for a
mustang than for a lightning though. So I would doubt that tuning it
would be as much of an issue, but not really sure. If you have the
money then I say do it. Plus, you can't beat the sound a turbo makes.
Erik D.
'94 white lightning
'01 white GT

Old January 25th 05, 06:29 PM

Price is a huge factor here heh. I am actually more fond of the supercharger
whine over turbo blow-off... but ah well. We'll see. I might go there today
to go meet the fella!

-Mike

--

&