Beetle vs Super Beetle

Old February 3rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Papa

Default Beetle vs Super Beetle

I'm talking about pre-1998 Beetles. What years were the Super Beetles
produced for US customers? What years were the regular Beetles produced for
US customers?

I have read many comments from supposed experts that say the regular Beetle
was better than the Super Beetle. If so, why is that?

Thanks.

Old February 3rd 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Papa wrote:

> I'm talking about pre-1998 Beetles. What years were the Super Beetles
> produced for US customers? What years were the regular Beetles produced for
> US customers?
>
> I have read many comments from supposed experts that say the regular Beetle
> was better than the Super Beetle. If so, why is that?
>
> Thanks.

Oh Oh. The gauntlet has been thrown down! LOL

US Supers were from '71 thru '79. ('71/72 were flat screen,
later were curved screen.)

Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
Std's were built thru '77.

Purists consider the Super an interloper, even a perversion
of the original intent.
But Super owners like the handling characteristics better.

This site has a great deal of info on the Supers:
http://members.tripod.com/~superkafe.../technical.htm
Keep in mind this site is aimed at non-US markets so the models
differ a bit.

This site has a lot of the "old" history, if interested:
http://www.pre67vw.co.uk/history/

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!"
Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.
Old February 3rd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
> Std's were built thru '77.

Umm.. much later, all the way to the end I believe (2003) just not
imported to USA (legally).

I used to do regular maintenance on a 1996 1200 std beetle.

> Purists consider the Super an interloper, even a perversion
> of the original intent.
> But Super owners like the handling characteristics better.

The Supers, when NEW or suspension properly taken care of and rebuilt,
handles much much better. They have better steering too.

But as always, lack of maintenance makes things fall apart and the car
runs like crap. The "super Beetle Shimmies" is one example... the
"wobble of death" as it is also called. Standards do not suffer from it.

Jan
Old February 3rd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Jan wrote:

> Speedy Jim wrote:
>

>> Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
>> Std's were built thru '77.

> Umm.. much later, all the way to the end I believe (2003) just not
> imported to USA (legally).

Ummmmm OP asked about the *US* market.
Old February 3rd 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Jan wrote:
>
>> Speedy Jim wrote:
>>

>>> Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
>>> Std's were built thru '77.

>> Umm.. much later, all the way to the end I believe (2003) just not
>> imported to USA (legally).

> Ummmmm OP asked about the *US* market.

Should have said SOLD instead of Built then

Jan
Old February 3rd 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dennis[_4_]

On Feb 2, 10:15 pm, Jan > wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
> > Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
> > Std's were built thru '77.

> Umm.. much later, all the way to the end I believe (2003) just not
> imported to USA (legally).
>
> I used to do regular maintenance on a 1996 1200 std beetle.
>
> > Purists consider the Super an interloper, even a perversion
> > of the original intent.
> > But Super owners like the handling characteristics better.

> The Supers, when NEW or suspension properly taken care of and rebuilt,
> handles much much better. They have better steering too.
>
> But as always, lack of maintenance makes things fall apart and the car
> runs like crap. The "super Beetle Shimmies" is one example... the
> "wobble of death" as it is also called. Standards do not suffer from it.
>
> Jan

I like both for different reasons. The supers handle better in cross
winds but are harder to tune for the road as I have found even tire
pressures side to side in the rear can change the feel of the front
and of course the 47mph shimmies. Dennis

Old February 3rd 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
n5hsr

"Jan" > wrote in message
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>

>> Std Beetles never had a curved screen like the Supers.
>> Std's were built thru '77.

> Umm.. much later, all the way to the end I believe (2003) just not
> imported to USA (legally).
>
> I used to do regular maintenance on a 1996 1200 std beetle.
>

>> Purists consider the Super an interloper, even a perversion
>> of the original intent.
>> But Super owners like the handling characteristics better.

> The Supers, when NEW or suspension properly taken care of and rebuilt,
> handles much much better. They have better steering too.
>
> But as always, lack of maintenance makes things fall apart and the car
> runs like crap. The "super Beetle Shimmies" is one example... the "wobble
> of death" as it is also called. Standards do not suffer from it.
>

> Jan

The Toyotas I had from the 70's also had the shimmies, and they also had
McPherson Struts like the Super Beetle. Dr. Porche built better than he
knew.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old February 3rd 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

I drove a super for 4 years and kept it maintained. The handling was great.
I even drove several times from Orlando to Atlanta and back several times, 7
hours each way. I was able to keep the car above 80mph the whole trip.

--
DANIEL MEDINA
. net...

Old February 3rd 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

560 miles without stopping............good fuel mileage but.............it
may be possible.
Hey you remember the aftermarket aux. fuel tank that could be mounted above
the standard fuel tank right?

Or am I telling my age! lol

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

. ..

Old February 4th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

ROFL
When Nature calls! ;-)