Dual 1bbl carbs?

Old February 2nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

Default Dual 1bbl carbs?

I have a rock-stock 1600DP - SVDA dist., new case & heads, compression
is right on the money. I'm considering changing the 34PICT3 to dual
carbs. I have a set of Weber 44IDF's on my Porsche 912 motor, but I
know these are too much for a stock VW motor. (see older response to
"Porsche Motor in VW" on this list for details.)
What dual single-bbl carbs work well? Some VW guys I talk to say the
little Webers are junk & stay to Solex. Then there's the added mix of
ICT's, Baby Dells, Kadrons, etc. And, just to top it off, there are
the single guys: One Weber IDF, Bugspray, Weber Progressive, etc.
Of course I'd like a few more HP, but what I'm really looking for is
improved throttle response.
TIA
Bill.
Old February 2nd 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Bill" > wrote in message
>I have a rock-stock 1600DP - SVDA dist., new case & heads, compression
> is right on the money. I'm considering changing the 34PICT3 to dual
> carbs. I have a set of Weber 44IDF's on my Porsche 912 motor, but I
> know these are too much for a stock VW motor. (see older response to
> "Porsche Motor in VW" on this list for details.)
> What dual single-bbl carbs work well?

Kadrons.

But beware - the stock VW carb restricts the stocker so that it can hardly
over-rev. With the Kadrons you can hit the red line very quickly.

Old February 3rd 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Feb 2, 9:26*am, <jjs> wrote:
> "Bill" > wrote in message

> >I have a rock-stock 1600DP - SVDA dist., new case & heads, compression
> > is right on the money. *I'm considering changing the 34PICT3 to dual
> > carbs. *I have a set of Weber 44IDF's on my Porsche 912 motor, but I
> > know these are too much for a stock VW motor. (see older response to
> > "Porsche Motor in VW" on this list for details.)
> > What dual single-bbl carbs work well?

> Kadrons.
>
> But beware - the stock VW carb restricts the stocker so that it can hardly
> over-rev. With the Kadrons you can hit the red line very quickly.

I have been running Kadrons for 14 yrs now and think you can't beat
them on any thing from stock to a 1915,

What you want to do thou is find a good used set and send them to AJ
at www.Lowbugget.com and tell him all your details

Mario
Vintage Werks resto
Old February 3rd 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
> I have been running Kadrons for 14 yrs now and think you can't beat
>them on any thing from stock to a 1915,

>What you want to do thou is find a good used set and send them to AJ
>at www.Lowbugget.com and tell him all your details

after you send them to AJ you can wait 6 months to a year to get them
back...find someone with a good used set...i have two sets, one is an AJ
special... he set them up for my car so they would run "perfectly out of the
box"...that was a load... of course if you consider fouled plugs "perfect"
it wasn't bad...LOL

Old February 3rd 08, 09:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

On Feb 2, 7:20 pm, "Joey Tribiani" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > I have been running Kadrons for 14 yrs now and think you can't beat

> >them on any thing from stock to a 1915,
> >What you want to do thou is find a good used set and send them to AJ
> >atwww.Lowbugget.comand tell him all your details

> after you send them to AJ you can wait 6 months to a year to get them
> back...find someone with a good used set...i have two sets, one is an AJ
> special... he set them up for my car so they would run "perfectly out of the
> box"...that was a load... of course if you consider fouled plugs "perfect"
> it wasn't bad...LOL

as much as I a don't like bedmouth anybody, i had mine redone by AJ.
it took forever to get em back. They were done, and just needed to be
shipped. Set like that in their shop for a few weeks. When I got em a
few things were wrong. One mixture screw was missing. Luckily i was
able to find a set I could borrow from a friend so that i didn't have
to back track to getting single carb back on and etc etc. Yes I did
discover this after I've installed them. After that little problem
was squared I just couldn't get them adjusted at all. one side was not
responsive to mixture changes. couldn't figure it out for some time.
Pulled idle jet and guess what, it was crushed when it was reamed!
yeah no big deal BUT it took forever to get those parts replaced. No
problems, but that's a lot of waste of time.

Just my personal experience, but unfortunately not that unique from
what I've been hearing lately.

Baby dells are good, some folks really like ICTs. If you can get
original webers 40 IDFs go for it just have them redone by Mark
Harney.

Anton

Old February 6th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:14:20 +0100, Bill > wrote:

> I have a rock-stock 1600DP - SVDA dist., new case & heads, compression
> is right on the money. I'm considering changing the 34PICT3 to dual
> carbs. I have a set of Weber 44IDF's on my Porsche 912 motor, but I
> know these are too much for a stock VW motor. (see older response to
> "Porsche Motor in VW" on this list for details.)
> What dual single-bbl carbs work well? Some VW guys I talk to say the
> little Webers are junk & stay to Solex. Then there's the added mix of
> ICT's, Baby Dells, Kadrons, etc. And, just to top it off, there are
> the single guys: One Weber IDF, Bugspray, Weber Progressive, etc.
> Of course I'd like a few more HP, but what I'm really looking for is
> improved throttle response.
> TIA
> Bill.

Take a look at what Aircooled.net has to offer, I have not dealt with Mr.
Connolly for some time, but I believe his repute still is excellent or
above.

There are another option for an otherwise stock(ish) engine, 36 Dellorto
Alfa carbs, do some Google and you will find an Italian who sells these in
wast quantities already inspected. The prices are not bad either.

J.