Death of r.a.s.

Old May 14th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Death of r.a.s.

(ymenard) wrote:

> Sales of Papy sims (they were in the top 10 yearly sellers at one
> time). Sales of Geoff Crammond sims (also in the top 10 yearly
> sellers at one time).

All part of the "democratisation" of PC-use... or perhaps technology
use. Until the late 90's PCs were still mainly for enthusiasts, and such
a serious hobby meant "serious" sims were very popular because they
appeal to the same kind of mindset.

Now PCs are like toasters, everyone has one. So the interests of PC
gamers are more mainstream and less serious. But now consoles are
increasingly claiming such people, so PC gaming will naturally shrink
back towards its serious core of (nerdy :-) users.

Andrew McP

Old May 14th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Sales of Papy sims (they were in the top 10 yearly sellers at one time).
> Sales of Geoff Crammond sims (also in the top 10 yearly sellers at one
> time).

That was back when PC gaming wasn't mainstream.

Old May 14th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Yes yes we saw the incredible numbers of PC racing sim developpers showing
> off their upcoming release at E3.

Actually the GTR 2 trailer was shown at E3. Both PC and Xbox 360 version.

Old May 14th 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Byron Forbes wrote:

> We need a governing body and centralisation that deliver "WORLD" series!

I think you are right although previous attempts (FILSCA) haven't
exactly met with universal approval.

Of course we will have iRacing who stated in their original aims:

"...FIRST-Racing.net will deliver the next step. And, that next step
will incorporate new technology to heighten the realism as well as a
sanctioning body to launch a truly global online sport."

Please ignore the fact they started a sentence with a conjunction as
this post could go so OT as to muck up ymenard's stats for the
predicting the end of the world

Cheers
Tony

Old May 15th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Yeah, I think a world-wide racing sim block buster would fuel things in
here. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

The competition is fiercer than back in the heyday of Indycar II and
GP2, and GPL a bit later, so we simply won't see one single product to
create a "reborn" attitude in here.

Back then things went around without intervention, since the enthousiasm
and energy levels were so high due to the quantum leaps made in the sim
dept. at that time. These days, racing sims are a matter of personal
taste and feeling, you can't find another 2 secs per lap by tweaking
your setup in absurdum, so nobody to flame there, no obvious flaws to
exploit, no chances to cheat your way into a sim.

And we all got 10 years older since GPL, some of us have other stuff to
do, or more correctly, we prioritize differently.

The thing is: RAS will never be the same, but that is ok, since times
change, we change, racing sims change.

---A---

Old May 15th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Asgeir Nesoen" > wrote in message
> Yeah, I think a world-wide racing sim block buster would fuel things in
> here. But we all know that isn't going to happen.
>
> The competition is fiercer than back in the heyday of Indycar II and GP2,
> and GPL a bit later, so we simply won't see one single product to create a
> "reborn" attitude in here.
>
> Back then things went around without intervention, since the enthousiasm
> and energy levels were so high due to the quantum leaps made in the sim
> dept. at that time. These days, racing sims are a matter of personal taste
> and feeling, you can't find another 2 secs per lap by tweaking your setup
> in absurdum, so nobody to flame there, no obvious flaws to exploit, no
> chances to cheat your way into a sim.
>
> And we all got 10 years older since GPL, some of us have other stuff to
> do, or more correctly, we prioritize differently.
>
> The thing is: RAS will never be the same, but that is ok, since times
> change, we change, racing sims change.

There are a lot of us that have been here since the first NASCAR Racing from
Papy. I was already in my 40s..........jeese.......you have to bring that
up..........:-)

Ed

Old May 15th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Steve Simpson" > wrote in
:

> Actually the GTR 2 trailer was shown at E3. Both PC and Xbox 360
> version.

GTR2 trailer... is that like the RL bus?
Old May 15th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Did this NG exist in 94' when Nascar 1 hit the shelves? My first visit was
April 96' and I didnt think it had been around very long at that point.

Mitch

"Ed Medlin" > wrote in message news:P1%9g.72487

> There are a lot of us that have been here since the first NASCAR Racing
> from Papy. I was already in my 40s..........jeese.......you have to bring
>
> Ed

Restaurant owner gets no jail in crash death gpsman Driving 2 April 28th 06 08:56 PM
Trip to Death Valley Carl Jeep 19 April 25th 06 04:09 AM
Death toll from road accidents 390 times that from terrorism laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 43 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Investigators Blame Stupidity in Area Death Larry Bud Driving 1 May 24th 05 09:51 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM