1995 Corvette Overheating

Old March 14th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Paul J. Veres

Default 1995 Corvette Overheating

I have a 1995 corvette, and when I stop at a traffic light, the temperature
gauge goes to 235 degrees. As soon as I start back up, it goes down to 210
degrees after about 1/2 mile. The yesterday the temperature was 70
degrees outside when this happened. I bought this car in December, 2006
when it was colder outside, and didn't have these readings when it was
colder. Is this quick temperature change normal for this vehicle when the
temperature gets warmer outside? If not, what could be the possible
problems?

Old March 14th 07, 01:25 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Paul J. Veres wrote:
> I have a 1995 corvette, and when I stop at a traffic light, the temperature
> gauge goes to 235 degrees. As soon as I start back up, it goes down to 210
> degrees after about 1/2 mile. The yesterday the temperature was 70
> degrees outside when this happened. I bought this car in December, 2006
> when it was colder outside, and didn't have these readings when it was
> colder. Is this quick temperature change normal for this vehicle when the
> temperature gets warmer outside? If not, what could be the possible
> problems?

Little on the warm side for a late C4 and just a bit slower
coming down than usual.

Turn on the A/C -- temp should drop.

--
PJ
'89 auto coupe, '02 6-spd coupe
Old March 14th 07, 01:33 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Charlie[_3_]

Flush the system and put in new coolant, add water wetter or purple ice to
the system. Bleed the air out of the system at both bleed screws. Check to
make sure both radiator cores are clean, they have a tendency to get paper
and stuff stuck in them and restrict air flow.

Charlie
1993 Polo Green Vert.

t...

Old March 14th 07, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Charlie" > wrote in message
> Flush the system and put in new coolant, add water wetter or purple ice to the
> system. Bleed the air out of the system at both bleed screws. Check to make
> sure both radiator cores are clean, they have a tendency to get paper and
> stuff stuck in them and restrict air flow.
>
> Charlie
> 1993 Polo Green Vert.

What Charlie said, it's a bottom feeder and will suck noticeable amounts of
trash into the radiator. It's unbelievable what it will pickup, cigarette butts,
wrappers, and leaves. Clean that before you do anything and then have the PH of
your coolant checked, six years is pushing it's life span.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old March 14th 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Paul J. Veres" > wrote in message
t...
>I have a 1995 corvette, and when I stop at a traffic light,
>the temperature gauge goes to 235 degrees. As soon as I
>start back up, it goes down to 210 degrees after about 1/2
>mile. The yesterday the temperature was 70 degrees
>outside when this happened. I bought this car in December,
>2006 when it was colder outside, and didn't have these
>readings when it was colder. Is this quick temperature
>change normal for this vehicle when the temperature gets
>warmer outside? If not, what could be the possible
>problems?

like some others have said,
make sure your coolant is flowing correctly
and there is no debre blocking your radiator.

my 84 / c4 use to do that.
I put a manual fan switch I can turn on anytime its
necessary.

my2¢
--
"Key"
=====

Old March 15th 07, 01:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Mar 14, 8:04 am, "Paul J. Veres" > wrote:
> I have a 1995 corvette, and when I stop at a traffic light, the temperature
> gauge goes to 235 degrees. As soon as I start back up, it goes down to 210
> degrees after about 1/2 mile. The yesterday the temperature was 70
> degrees outside when this happened. I bought this car in December, 2006
> when it was colder outside, and didn't have these readings when it was
> colder. Is this quick temperature change normal for this vehicle when the
> temperature gets warmer outside? If not, what could be the possible
> problems?

Your description suggests insufficient airflow if car not moving.
Possible causes for overheating from shop manual for conditions "
engine temp lamp on or temp gauge shows hot". 1) Loss of coolant. 2)
Loss of system pressure. 3) Belt tension too low. 4) Timing retarded
by malfunctioning ignition control system. 5) Damaged coolant pump
drive assembly. 6) Radiator fins obstructed. 7) Cooling system
passages blocked. 8) Recovery reservoire hose pinched or kinked. 9)
Cooling fans inoperative. 10) Thermostat stuck in closed position.
11) Malfunctioning coolant pump; eroded or broken impeller blades.
12) Incorrect radiator. 13) Missing or damaged radiator upper air
deflector and/or center air deflector. Other things that come to
mind: Engine coolant temperature sensor malfunction ( located on
underside of water pump) . Cooling fans inoperative.
You may be able to check some of the simpler items yourself. Also
check if you're losing or are missing coolant. After that, you'll
probably need to check with a garage. Good luck.