No pressure on clutch pedal - can't change gear

Old November 18th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Default No pressure on clutch pedal - can't change gear

Thus spake "Al Reynolds" > :

>"Ivan" > wrote
>> Sounds eminently more sensible than what I've led to believe regarding the
>> clutch slave cylinder on my Ford focus, which is apparently located
>> 'inside' the gearbox bell housing, can anyone confirm if this is true?

>I've heard this too about Focuses. Lots of people change the slave if they
>have any gearbox work done as it saves on cost later (apparently).
>
>For the record, it was just the slave cylinder (AA man overcautious) and
>it cost me £125 all in. Honda wanted £215.
>
>Al

90 quid buys a lot of beer. When and where?
Old November 20th 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Al Reynolds

"Dillon Pyron" > wrote:
> Thus spake "Al Reynolds" > :
>
>>For the record, it was just the slave cylinder (AA man overcautious) and
>>it cost me £125 all in. Honda wanted £215.
>>

> 90 quid buys a lot of beer. When and where?

Exeter, Devon. Alphington Fast-Fit.

Old November 20th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
gbones

> GUEST wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just gone out to my 97 Honda Accord and there is no pressure

on my
> clutch pedal.
>
> If I push it down, it goes all the way to the floor, and if I then

lift it a
> little the spring causes
> it to come back up. Initially there was a little bit of pressure

bringing
> it back up, but now
> there's none (engine off or on).
>
> When the engine is on, I can't engage any gears, presumably because

> depressing the
> clutch pedal is not having the normal effect. With the engine off,

I can
> select any of the
> gears, and if I start the car in a gear it 'jumps' which implies

the clutch
> *is* engaged
> and the gear selection is working. I am a bit wary of doing this

too much
> as I don't want
> to put unnecessary strain on any other components in the

clutch/gearbox.

> My guess is clutch master or cylinder - does that sound right? Is

there
> anything simpler
> that could cause these symptoms? I had a full service about a

month ago, so
> all the
> fluids should have been topped up then, and I haven't noticed any

fluid
> leaks on the
> driveway. I'd go and check the fluids right now but it's dark and

there's a
> gale blowing!
>
> As it stands I'm going to have to get it towed to the garage as I

can't
> drive it at the moment.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer,
> Al
>
> PS If anyone in the UK is reading, what sort of figure should I be

looking
> out for a new
> clutch cylinder fitted at an independent mechanic?

The same
thing happened to my 90 honda accord last week. I thought maybe it
was the cold we suddenly got...it seemed to be ok after a little
driving. Then today, I could barely get it into gear in the parking
lot...I got about 2 miles from the house, and had to stop at a light.
It wouldn't go back into gear and now the gear box feels weird...like
it is stuck in a gear.

So I had to have it towed and the mechanics are saying not only do I
need a new master cylinder, but I need a new transmission....how true
is that? Keep in mind this mechanic is known for gross over estimates.
Would one failed shift really mess up the gear box that badly? The car
has low mileage for its age (96k) and has been in my family since it
was new.

Old November 20th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:08:23 -0600, gbones wrote:

>> GUEST wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just gone out to my 97 Honda Accord and there is no pressure

> on my
> > clutch pedal.
> >
> > If I push it down, it goes all the way to the floor, and if I then

> lift it a
> > little the spring causes
> > it to come back up. Initially there was a little bit of pressure

> bringing
> > it back up, but now
> > there's none (engine off or on).
> >
> > When the engine is on, I can't engage any gears, presumably because

> > depressing the
> > clutch pedal is not having the normal effect. With the engine off,

> I can
> > select any of the
> > gears, and if I start the car in a gear it 'jumps' which implies

> the clutch
> > *is* engaged
> > and the gear selection is working. I am a bit wary of doing this

> too much
> > as I don't want
> > to put unnecessary strain on any other components in the

> clutch/gearbox.
> >
> > My guess is clutch master or cylinder - does that sound right? Is

> there
> > anything simpler
> > that could cause these symptoms? I had a full service about a

> month ago, so
> > all the
> > fluids should have been topped up then, and I haven't noticed any

> fluid
> > leaks on the
> > driveway. I'd go and check the fluids right now but it's dark and

> there's a
> > gale blowing!
> >
> > As it stands I'm going to have to get it towed to the garage as I

> can't
> > drive it at the moment.
> >
> > Thanks for any help anyone can offer, Al
> >
> > PS If anyone in the UK is reading, what sort of figure should I be

> looking
> > out for a new
> > clutch cylinder fitted at an independent mechanic?

> The same
> thing happened to my 90 honda accord last week. I thought maybe it was
> the cold we suddenly got...it seemed to be ok after a little driving.
> Then today, I could barely get it into gear in the parking lot...I got
> about 2 miles from the house, and had to stop at a light. It wouldn't go
> back into gear and now the gear box feels weird...like it is stuck in a
> gear.
>
> So I had to have it towed and the mechanics are saying not only do I
> need a new master cylinder, but I need a new transmission....how true is
> that?

unlikely. have a different mechanic replace the failed clutch hydraulics,
and the problem will almost certainly disappear.

Old November 22nd 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake "Al Reynolds" > :

>"Dillon Pyron" > wrote:
>> Thus spake "Al Reynolds" > :
>>
>>>For the record, it was just the slave cylinder (AA man overcautious) and
>>>it cost me £125 all in. Honda wanted £215.
>>>

>> 90 quid buys a lot of beer. When and where?

>Exeter, Devon. Alphington Fast-Fit.

I'll be there in two years. If you pour me one now, it should be nice
and warm by then. A little flat, maybe.
Old June 20th 16, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

What do you mean by getting the revs right? I'm trying to do this now with my car.
Old June 29th 16, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

usually at around 2000-2100 rpm you can pop it into gear without grinding it.
Old January 2nd 18, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

My 97 Honda accord...

I refilled the brake fluid. Pumped the clutch. The level changed, but the bl clutch hasn't (still on the floor no pressure).

The gears won't change while the engine is on. Will when it's off.

Old June 25th 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Freightliner cascadia

Clutch Pedal Juan VW air cooled 7 October 11th 07 05:08 PM
Want more MPG? Trying using your clutch pedal. [email protected] Ford Mustang 8 May 12th 06 05:37 PM
Soft brake pedal/excessive pedal pressure - 2001 Intrepid w/ABS Phil T Chrysler 0 April 23rd 06 02:52 AM
CLUTCH PEDAL ?? nrutas Saturn 3 November 22nd 04 01:54 PM