high idle

Old May 13th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
88yj

Default high idle

i have an 88 wrangler yj and it starts fine but idles very high at
first. for the first 10 or 15 minutes it will idle at almost 3000
rpms when either in nuetral or when clutch is in. when i have the
clutch in half way it will idle at half that. when i put it in gear
it will take off as i gradually let off the clutch because the rpms
are so high. when the clutch is completely off the rpms are fine.
when i looked at the carburetor the choke was totaly open and there
was a lot of gas squirting out for just idling. i closed the choke a
little bit by hand and the rpms dropped but the gas was still coming
out at the same rate, as soon as i would let go the choke would open
back up and idle at 3000 again. i have the 4.2 liter straight 6.
anyone with an idea is greatly appreciated.

Old May 14th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike chambers

It's your electric choke. I had the same thing happen. I un pluged it
and un bolted it.Bouht a new one a year ago and still have not put it
on. It is fine with out it.

Later Mike

Old May 14th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
bllsht

If the choke is open and it's still idling that high, it sounds like
the fast idle cam is stuck. Look over by the idle speed adjustment
screws on the left side. I think you'll find the fast idle screw
sitting on the top step of the fast idle cam.

Old May 14th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Buy a rebuild kit for the carburetor, then disconnect the fast idle step
motor, via the "Nutter bypass":
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm#diagram
http://www.billhughes.com/mirror/nutterbypass.htm
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jnutter1.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

ups.com...

Old May 15th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The only thing I can think of that would be affected so much by just
letting the clutch pedal out in neutral would be that the body has lost
it's ground and is stealing one through the clutch pedal. I have seen
that happen with the brake pedal and gas pedal and gear shift and radio
and... anyway.

There should be a wire mesh strap that runs from the rear of the engine
head to the firewall. This does go bad.

It doesn't sound like the choke is working proper either, but that would
have no bearing on the position of the clutch pedal...

A carb kit is only about $20.00 or so and is easy to put in them.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 15th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
88yj

On May 15, 10:18 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> The only thing I can think of that would be affected so much by just
> letting the clutch pedal out in neutral would be that the body has lost
> it's ground and is stealing one through the clutch pedal. I have seen
> that happen with the brake pedal and gas pedal and gear shift and radio
> and... anyway.
>
> There should be a wire mesh strap that runs from the rear of the engine
> head to the firewall. This does go bad.
>
> It doesn't sound like the choke is working proper either, but that would
> have no bearing on the position of the clutch pedal...
>
> A carb kit is only about $20.00 or so and is easy to put in them.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> 88yj wrote:
> > i have an 88 wrangler yj and it starts fine but idles very high at
> > first. for the first 10 or 15 minutes it will idle at almost 3000
> > rpms when either in nuetral or when clutch is in. when i have the
> > clutch in half way it will idle at half that. when i put it in gear
> > it will take off as i gradually let off the clutch because the rpms
> > are so high. when the clutch is completely off the rpms are fine.
> > when i looked at the carburetor the choke was totaly open and there
> > was a lot of gas squirting out for just idling. i closed the choke a
> > little bit by hand and the rpms dropped but the gas was still coming
> > out at the same rate, as soon as i would let go the choke would open
> > back up and idle at 3000 again. i have the 4.2 liter straight 6.
> > anyone with an idea is greatly appreciated.

the clutch only has an effect when its in gear.

Old May 15th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

88yj wrote:
> On May 15, 10:18 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> The only thing I can think of that would be affected so much by just
>> letting the clutch pedal out in neutral would be that the body has lost
>> it's ground and is stealing one through the clutch pedal. I have seen
>> that happen with the brake pedal and gas pedal and gear shift and radio
>> and... anyway.
>>
>> There should be a wire mesh strap that runs from the rear of the engine
>> head to the firewall. This does go bad.
>>
>> It doesn't sound like the choke is working proper either, but that would
>> have no bearing on the position of the clutch pedal...
>>
>> A carb kit is only about $20.00 or so and is easy to put in them.
>>
>> Mike
>> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
>> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
>> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
>> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>>
>> 88yj wrote:
>>> i have an 88 wrangler yj and it starts fine but idles very high at
>>> first. for the first 10 or 15 minutes it will idle at almost 3000
>>> rpms when either in nuetral or when clutch is in. when i have the
>>> clutch in half way it will idle at half that. when i put it in gear
>>> it will take off as i gradually let off the clutch because the rpms
>>> are so high. when the clutch is completely off the rpms are fine.
>>> when i looked at the carburetor the choke was totaly open and there
>>> was a lot of gas squirting out for just idling. i closed the choke a
>>> little bit by hand and the rpms dropped but the gas was still coming
>>> out at the same rate, as soon as i would let go the choke would open
>>> back up and idle at 3000 again. i have the 4.2 liter straight 6.
>>> anyone with an idea is greatly appreciated.

> the clutch only has an effect when its in gear.

OK, is this a new thing? Anything else happen or get changed?

It idles proper at 650-700 when warmed up?

A blown canister can cause a high idle, but that normally stays high.

Some had this vacuum solenoid valve behind the carb that can blow an
open into the PCV system if it isn't working right or is stuck. It
should be affected by the engine warming up too.

Has anyone been messing around with the vacuum line plumbing or working
near any?

Mike

Old May 16th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
88yj

On May 15, 2:29 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> 88yj wrote:
> > On May 15, 10:18 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> >> The only thing I can think of that would be affected so much by just
> >> letting the clutch pedal out in neutral would be that the body has lost
> >> it's ground and is stealing one through the clutch pedal. I have seen
> >> that happen with the brake pedal and gas pedal and gear shift and radio
> >> and... anyway.

> >> There should be a wire mesh strap that runs from the rear of the engine
> >> head to the firewall. This does go bad.

> >> It doesn't sound like the choke is working proper either, but that would
> >> have no bearing on the position of the clutch pedal...

> >> A carb kit is only about $20.00 or so and is easy to put in them.

> >> Mike
> >> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> >> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> >> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

> > the clutch only has an effect when its in gear.

> OK, is this a new thing? Anything else happen or get changed?
>
> It idles proper at 650-700 when warmed up?
>
> A blown canister can cause a high idle, but that normally stays high.
>
> Some had this vacuum solenoid valve behind the carb that can blow an
> open into the PCV system if it isn't working right or is stuck. It
> should be affected by the engine warming up too.
>
> Has anyone been messing around with the vacuum line plumbing or working
> near any?
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

no thats what i meant in the first message. no one has worked on my
car but me and dont think i touched any vaccum lines

Old May 16th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

88yj wrote:
> On May 15, 2:29 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
>> 88yj wrote:
>>> the clutch only has an effect when its in gear.

>> OK, is this a new thing? Anything else happen or get changed?
>>
>> It idles proper at 650-700 when warmed up?
>>
>> A blown canister can cause a high idle, but that normally stays high.
>>
>> Some had this vacuum solenoid valve behind the carb that can blow an
>> open into the PCV system if it isn't working right or is stuck. It
>> should be affected by the engine warming up too.
>>
>> Has anyone been messing around with the vacuum line plumbing or working
>> near any?
>>
>> Mike- Hide quoted text -

> no thats what i meant in the first message. no one has worked on my
> car but me and dont think i touched any vaccum lines

I would first verify what bllsht pointed at, the fast idle cam being
stuck as that is very common. The fix is a clean with carb cleaner spray.

Next I would have the engine off and cold and give it two shots on the
throttle like you should for a normal start, then open the air filter
without starting it to verify the choke is closed.

I was thinking electrical due to me misreading your clutch settings and
agree the basics should be looked at before messing around.

Mike
Old May 16th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
88yj

On May 13, 10:01 pm, (Mike chambers) wrote:
> It's your electric choke. I had the same thing happen. I un pluged it
> and un bolted it.Bouht a new one a year ago and still have not put it
> on. It is fine with out it.
>
> Later Mike

would it fix the problem right when i unplug it or do i have to unbolt
it too?

high idle hulia Saturn 3 January 9th 06 05:04 AM
high idle hulia Saturn 0 January 7th 06 02:15 PM
high idle darkshadow94 Ford Mustang 2 October 15th 05 02:40 AM
94 accord High idle when driving, low idle when stopped. Matt Honda 3 April 8th 05 05:16 AM
High Idle j2power Mazda 0 November 3rd 04 06:48 AM