NHTSA Survey: Tire Pressures

Old October 17th 15, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default NHTSA Survey: Tire Pressures

NHTSA Survey: Tire Pressures

On Page 3, Exh. 4: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809-316.pdf

People looking in WRONG PLACE for recommended cold PSI!

How difficult is this, folks? It's right on the B-pillar next to your
butt in the driver seat!
Old October 18th 15, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

HulOOooh?!
Old October 18th 15, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 03:50:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>NHTSA Survey: Tire Pressures
>

>On Page 3, Exh. 4:
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809-316.pdf

>People looking in WRONG PLACE for recommended cold PSI!
>
>How difficult is this, folks? It's right on the B-pillar next to your
>butt in the driver seat!

It's too bad they didn't ask the most critical question that would
really tell if there was a problem.... They needed to ask "What
pressure do you use" besides asking "where do you get the pressure you
use. If those people who are not using the placard still put in at
least 28 psi for cars and 32 for trucks there is unlikely to be much
of a problem with what they are doing. A few people with trucks with
E rated tires would still be under inflating but anyone using 28 to 35
psi is very unlikely to have a problem caused by the "wrong" tire
pressure.
Old October 18th 15, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ashton Crusher wrote:
"On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 03:50:01 -0700 (PDT),
It's too bad they didn't ask the most critical question that would
really tell if there was a problem.... They needed to ask "What
pressure do you use" besides asking "where do you get the pressure you
use. If those people who are not using the placard still put in at
least 28 psi for cars and 32 for trucks there is unlikely to be much
of a problem with what they are doing. A few people with trucks with
E rated tires would still be under inflating but anyone using 28 to 35
psi is very unlikely to have a problem caused by the "wrong" tire
pressure. "

My point in bringing this up is to consider the 'logic' by how
drivers determine tire pressure for their vehicles:

"Correct tire PSI? Must be on the TIRE".

Which *might* apply if their vehicle is operated at
maximum capacity(materials/tools/passengers) at
least 3/4 of the time.
Old October 20th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:47:20 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:
>"On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 03:50:01 -0700 (PDT),
>wrote:
>It's too bad they didn't ask the most critical question that would
>really tell if there was a problem.... They needed to ask "What
>pressure do you use" besides asking "where do you get the pressure you
>use. If those people who are not using the placard still put in at
>least 28 psi for cars and 32 for trucks there is unlikely to be much
>of a problem with what they are doing. A few people with trucks with
>E rated tires would still be under inflating but anyone using 28 to 35
>psi is very unlikely to have a problem caused by the "wrong" tire
>pressure. "
>

>My point in bringing this up is to consider the 'logic' by how
>drivers determine tire pressure for their vehicles:
>
>"Correct tire PSI? Must be on the TIRE".
>
>Which *might* apply if their vehicle is operated at
>maximum capacity(materials/tools/passengers) at
>least 3/4 of the time.

There was a discussion in one of these groups within the past year of
the "best" tire pressure and it seems that the max shown on the
sidewall is usually the best regardless of what the manufacturer
happens to recommend. Someone even found some research on track
speeds that showed highly inflated tires handled better then
"manufacturer recommenced" pressure did.
Old October 20th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Ashton Crusher wrote:
"On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:47:20 -0700 (PDT),
There was a discussion in one of these groups within the past year of
the "best" tire pressure and it seems that the max shown on the
sidewall is usually the best regardless of what the manufacturer
happens to recommend. Someone even found some research on track
speeds that showed highly inflated tires handled better then
"manufacturer recommenced" pressure did. "

A thousand wrongs don't make it right. But that doesn't
make me a stickler for vehicle placard pressures. I
typically add 2lbs PSI to the vehicle pressures listed
on the placard, but NEVER the max pressure on the
tire. It's like riding on four rocks or on basketballs.

I also don't like daylight-saving time(which thankfully
ends in two weeks), keep the 'bass' and 'treble'
controls or equalizers centered on my stereos,
and actually adjust my TV's picture settings for
an accurate image.

Life ain't easy in the minority!

Tire Pressures Bob[_53_] Technology 9 October 12th 11 12:27 PM
Factory-recommended tire pressures - CRX? Dave Garrett Honda 5 January 18th 07 06:11 AM
Tire pressures VAHairballs VW air cooled 10 March 12th 05 08:26 PM
Auto Digital Tire Pressure Gauge Survey Garth Almgren Driving 0 December 21st 04 06:50 PM
E30 Victoracer Tire Pressures Rob Munach BMW 0 November 15th 04 05:14 PM