Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

Old December 17th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:51:35 -0800 (PST), z >
wrote:

>On Dec 15, 7:47Â*am, Vic Smith > wrote:
>
>> Oh hell, I never touched the brake fluid on my '88 Celebrity in the 14
>> years it was in there.
>> Never had any indication it was affected.
>> Same with my current cars, one a '90 and the other a '97.
>> Never touched the fluid.
>> These are closed systems.
>>
>> --Vic

>didn't you ever do a brake job on it in 14 years?

Yes, and that reminds me of something. The first brake job I did in
'92 I let a shop near my work do it because I was too busy and in an
apartment. Charged me for pads/shoes/labor.
I doubt they touched the fluid.
It was Meineke. Only time I ever went there again is for exhaust
work, which they've done well for me.
Couple years later I have a home/garage/time, and check the pads,
which seem too far worn for 2 years of my style driving.
I pull the drums, and find absolutely no wear on the shoes.
They're brand new except for slight feathering on the leading edge.
The self-adjusting lever is missing from both rears.
Meinecke probably had a kid do my brakes, and when he got embarrassed
about not knowing how to put it back together, he tossed the levers.
Went to a boneyard and got "new" levers for 20 cents or something,
cleaned/lubed everything up and got them adjusting again.
Think GM would only sell the entire assembly.
Can't remember if that was e-brake cable or reversing activated.
I popped the MC cap and watched the fluid when I squeezed the calipers
the first time, never bothered again.
Two more sets of pads but no shoes before I junked it.
Rotors for the last brake job, 20 bucks each.
I don't let pads/shoes get but about half way to the rivets, and the
cylinders never extend much. Never replaced a caliper or wheel
cylinder on any of my cars, though I have on others'.
But the longest I've had a car is 11 years.
Never had any brake fluid related issues. But remember, I hardly ever
stand on my brakes. Twice in quick succession after a brake job, but
only from about 45 mph has been my practice. So YMMV.
My brother, who was a pro mechanic and replaced a lot of MC's, has a
theory that many failures occurred shortly after the owners were
bleeding their brakes and repeatedly fully extended the MC while
bleeding. Might be worth thinking about.
All this is simple personal anecdote, because you asked.
Doesn't mean squat.
Not recommending how anybody handle their brakes or fluid.
Except know your brake system or take it to a good shop.

--Vic
Old December 17th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Dec 17, 7:21*am, Vic Smith > wrote:

> My brother, who was a pro mechanic and replaced a lot of MC's, has a
> theory that many failures occurred shortly after the owners were
> bleeding their brakes and repeatedly fully extended the MC while
> bleeding. *

I agree with that. I wouldn't pump bleed any MC in an older car
unless I was certain that the owner had done periodic fluid changes.
The story that I've heard is that the bore can develop rust in the
area beyond the normal travel area of the seals, so when you put the
pedal all the way to the floor the seal wipes over that slight
corrosion and then it'll start slowly sinking to the floor a few weeks
later. I've had that happen to me on two different cars before I
smartened up. Even if the car has been well maintained I FAR prefer
to use a pressure bleeder. Motive Products makes an inexpensive one
that works well, bleeding is now a one man job, and no worries about
wiping out the seals in the MC. I just take my pressure bleeder, a
length of windshield washer tubing, and an empty soda bottle (the
latter two items to catch the fluid that comes out of the bleeder
screw and watch color/presence or absence of air) and have at it.
I'll be swapping the snow tires onto the Porsche as soon as I have a
weekend day when it's not raining; while I'm doing that it's trivial
to hook up the pressure bleeder and crack each caliper's bleeder screw
as I have the wheels off.

nate
Old December 22nd 08, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Dec 14, 5:20*pm, metspitzer > wrote:
> I found some at a relative's house that may be 15 years old.
> It is in a can with a screw off top. *I didn't notice the brand.

it does tend to lose its flavor after the expiration date.