Questions on AC low pressure port and missing cap

Old June 21st 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ECLiPSE 2002

Default Questions on AC low pressure port and missing cap

I discovered that the cap on the low pressure port of my 2004 T&C van
was missing and wonder if this has caused any problems. Is its purpose
merely a dust cap (if so would any tight fitting cap suffice) or does
it have other purposes?

Next problem is where to find a replacement without being raped by the
dealer. Anyone know where I might locate one?

Frank

Old June 22nd 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Jun 21, 7:33*am, ECLiPSE 2002 > wrote:
> I discovered that the cap on the low pressure port of my 2004 T&C van
> was missing and wonder if this has caused any problems. Is its purpose
> merely a dust cap (if so would any tight fitting cap suffice) or does
> it have other purposes?
>
> Next problem is where to find a replacement without being raped by the
> dealer. Anyone know where I might locate one?
>
> Frank

I would try a salvage yard. One from another year and/or model would
probably fit.

Everytime I have my A/C serviced, I always check for these before
leaving the shop. Very few take the time to put them back after the
work.

KM
Old June 23rd 10, 09:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ECLiPSE 2002

Thanks for the response - will try a salvage yard. Still not sure if
the cap serves any other purpose than to keep moisture and dirt out of
the port.

Frank

Old June 23rd 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

as long as the actual valve is still in the center of the port. that's what
holds everything in . the cap works like a valve stem cap on your tire.
keeps dirt out etc.

Old June 24th 10, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:29:29 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 >
wrote:

>Thanks for the response - will try a salvage yard. Still not sure if
>the cap serves any other purpose than to keep moisture and dirt out of
>the port.
>
>Frank

Besides keeping dirt out it should have an o-ring in it and it's a
second seal to prevent freon from leaking out if the schreader valve
leaks a little. Usually if there is a leak you'll see oil. If you
run by an AC repair shop they may have a cap laying around they would
give you.
Old June 26th 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
ECLiPSE 2002

Thanks to Rob and Ashton for their input.

Frank

Old July 3rd 20, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Monday, June 21, 2010 at 9:33:54 AM UTC-4, ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
> I discovered that the cap on the low pressure port of my 2004 T&C van
> was missing and wonder if this has caused any problems. Is its purpose
> merely a dust cap (if so would any tight fitting cap suffice) or does
> it have other purposes?
>
> Next problem is where to find a replacement without being raped by the
> dealer. Anyone know where I might locate one?
>
> Frank

as long the port have positive pressure will be fine... however if the port at one point gets to negative pressure, the system will start to get air and eventually destroy the compressor. Also dirt will get in on the next recharge