brake lines: mix US and metric?

Old August 4th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default brake lines: mix US and metric?

Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...

It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.

Yes?

Thanks,
Old August 4th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

George wrote:
> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>
> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.
>
> Yes?
>
> Thanks,

Most of the flares you will find will be SAE.
Most domestic made vehicles will have SAE threads.

When you find Metric threads you will usually also find bubble flares
instead of the standard double flare.

These items go out the window on a few models where a domestic maker
sourced the vehicle from a foreign company.

--
Steve W.
Old August 4th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tim Wescott

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:57:50 -0400, George wrote:

> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>
> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.

Yes, but I'd hardly be eager to pinch pennies on essential safety items.
How much of a bitch is it to replace it end-to-end?

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Old August 4th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BobJ

George wrote:
> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>
> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.
>
> Yes?
>
> Thanks,

NAPA 813-5512 12" sae to metric 3/16" about $10.00
Old August 5th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:50:08 -0400, bobj > wrote:

>George wrote:
>> Our '99 Cavalier had a rotten rear brake line. So, I cut it back to
>> good metal, flared the end, and replaced the pipe with some 3/16" stuff
>> I had. I got to the axle end, and it suddenly occurred to me that it's
>> probably METRIC. And, on closer inspection, it appears to need a 'DIN
>> flare' to mate with the axle hose. So, ...
>>
>> It looks like I can just use one section of 'metric' tubing, to mate
>> with the axle hose, and cut the other end off, and put a regular (SAE)
>> flare there, to mate with the 3/16" tubing I've installed.
>>
>> Yes?
>>
>> Thanks,

>NAPA 813-5512 12" sae to metric 3/16" about $10.00

It turns out, they have an SAE to metric adapter, for $1.70. Better
than I'd hoped. Thanks to all.

98 TJ Brake Lines.... Tim[_8_] Jeep 6 May 20th 07 05:48 PM
Bleeding brake lines and replacing brake caliper and piston Jason[_1_] Ford Explorer 2 March 20th 07 02:42 AM
VW Brake Lines Morgan Anderson VW air cooled 12 November 27th 05 02:32 PM
Bleeding brake lines 66 vw Tom Nakashima VW air cooled 2 August 16th 05 02:59 PM
replacing brake lines Steve Technology 3 January 21st 05 04:39 AM