Q: 60K Service

Old January 26th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Q: 60K Service

Hello, everyone.

The owner's manual says that I need to replace the timing belt and get
other major services done at 60K miles. What happens if I postpone it
a little, say, 61K miles? Would my car break down in the middle of the
road? I live in California, if that matters at all.
__
sol
Old January 26th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

You can delay it if you want to. In Calif. the law sez the car can go
100,000 miles before that service must be done. ( the same belt is used
on all of our Miatas ) The 60 K service is for your protection and
builds in a little safety. Just remember if the belt breaks, the "state
law" is not out anything. :-) Just plan a time that will fit in and you
will be OK.

Bruce RED '91

Old January 26th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> You can delay it if you want to. In Calif. the law sez the car can go
> 100,000 miles before that service must be done. ( the same belt is used
> on all of our Miatas ) The 60 K service is for your protection and
> builds in a little safety. Just remember if the belt breaks, the "state
> law" is not out anything. :-) Just plan a time that will fit in and you
> will be OK.
>
> Bruce RED '91

Bruce,

how can all of our miatas possibly be using the same timing belt?
I thought that one was required for each individual engine. (yuk-yuk) ;-)

Pat
Old January 26th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Gee Pat--- and I thought that was the one thing that tied us all
together as Miata owners. Darn ! Just another bubble popped in my
attempt to be one of the guys. Now I am sad :-(

Bruce RED '91 (with one long belt to nowhere)

Old January 26th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 60K Service

I would not worry about going for several thousand more miles without
replacing it, unless you know about your particular car having any oil leaks
(that could have saturated the belt and weakened it). Lots of people
reported that the timing belt can last over 100k miles when I enquired about
it a year ago. When I picked up my '95 it had 100k on it. The previous
owner had no recollection of ever replacing the timing belt and according to
carfax she had the car since 4ok (so the original owner certainly did not
replace it). So I had it done either 20k to early or 40k to late. I tend
to think it was 40k to late. The engine would not be damaged if the belt
snapped (the cylinders with not collide with the values because of the
non-interference type engine design in the Miata). The worst that would
happen if it snapped is that you are inconvenienced by being stranded. The
repair is perhaps the most expensive thing that you can have done on the
car. It cost me $675 including water pump, belts, two front radiator hoses,
and even new plugs and wires. Lots of garages wanted much more, and Mazda's
quote was astronomical at nearly double not including all the above parts.
Be sure to ask for the two front cam seals, crank seal, and water pump to
also be replaced. There are a couple of other small parts that may or may
not require replacement at the mechanics discretion (if they look worn).
good luck.

Old January 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Having owned a '99, I split the difference and had mine changed at 80k
miles. The old belt was still OK. The Miata is a non-interference
engine, so you will not damage it if the belt would fail, you'd just
need a tow.

Old January 27th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Just my 2 pennies but I'm not sure that I'd spring for the water pump if I
did the timing belt at or near 60k. When I changed my belt for the second
go-round on my previous miata at 134k on a 13 yr old car, the water pump
(original as best I could tell) was still fine. Obviously I bit the bullet
and replaced it at that time but at about $70 some of us still have to think
hard about it. I'm sure if you're paying someone else, they charge you far
more than that for the pump.

FYI, the labor to do the waterpump is nil when you're in there doing the
timing belt so what ever you do, don't let the shop bs you that they need to
charge you the full hrs "spec'd" for both jobs individually. Oh, I'm sure
they'd never try that ;-)

Chris
99BBB

oups.com...

Old January 27th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
> Just my 2 pennies but I'm not sure that I'd spring for the water pump if I
> did the timing belt at or near 60k. When I changed my belt for the second
> go-round on my previous miata at 134k on a 13 yr old car, the water pump
> (original as best I could tell) was still fine. Obviously I bit the bullet
> and replaced it at that time but at about $70 some of us still have to
> think hard about it. I'm sure if you're paying someone else, they charge
> you far more than that for the pump.
>
> FYI, the labor to do the waterpump is nil when you're in there doing the
> timing belt so what ever you do, don't let the shop bs you that they need
> to charge you the full hrs "spec'd" for both jobs individually. Oh, I'm
> sure they'd never try that ;-)

This has been discussed before. When I had my 60K service and had the
timing belt replaced, my Mazda service guy said their policy is to inspect
the pump and repleace it only if it needs it. This policy was widely
ridiculed here.

Old January 27th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> Gee Pat--- and I thought that was the one thing that tied us all
> together as Miata owners. Darn ! Just another bubble popped in my
> attempt to be one of the guys. Now I am sad :-(
>
> Bruce RED '91 (with one long belt to nowhere)

Hey, it's not my fault. You are just feeling sad and despondent because
you recently got rained on every day for something like five years in a
row..........

Don't worry, drowned rats are welcome here as well. ;-)

Pat
Old January 27th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Frank Berger" > wrote in message

> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> Just my 2 pennies but I'm not sure that I'd spring for the water pump if
>> I did the timing belt at or near 60k. When I changed my belt for the
>> second go-round on my previous miata at 134k on a 13 yr old car, the
>> water pump (original as best I could tell) was still fine. Obviously I
>> bit the bullet and replaced it at that time but at about $70 some of us
>> still have to think hard about it. I'm sure if you're paying someone
>> else, they charge you far more than that for the pump.
>>
>> FYI, the labor to do the waterpump is nil when you're in there doing the
>> timing belt so what ever you do, don't let the shop bs you that they need
>> to charge you the full hrs "spec'd" for both jobs individually. Oh, I'm
>> sure they'd never try that ;-)
>>

> This has been discussed before. When I had my 60K service and had the
> timing belt replaced, my Mazda service guy said their policy is to inspect
> the pump and repleace it only if it needs it. This policy was widely
> ridiculed here.

it is questionable at 60k but undeniable at 120k. the problem being that as
far as i know there is no definitive way to inspect it. and since labor far
outweights the cost of the part it seems like a cheap insurance to me... of
course ymmv.

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM
4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service Brent Murphy 4x4 32 March 16th 04 07:14 AM