Talk me out of buying a 166

Old September 18th 05, 09:26 PM
Hans de Heer

Zathras wrote:
> er..have you lot forgotten that the Sportwagon has LESS boot capacity
> than the saloon UNLESS you drop the back seats! I manage 1 kid + all
> the kit with a 156 saloon. Any more kids and I'd need a top box. I
> took one look at the Sportwagon boot, laughed, then bought the saloon.
> I'm sure the Sportwagon was an Italian joke that nobody else got.

I also manage two kids plus all the kit in a saloon, but I think the extra
height of the Sportwagon boot plus the bigger opening would come in handy.
It's not the lack of space that's frustrating, but the size of the opening I
think. Hell, I even have to slide in a box of groceries sideways and
tilted...

--
Regards, Hans
Alfa Romeo 156 Selespeed - 1999

Old September 18th 05, 09:50 PM
SteveH

Hans de Heer > wrote:

> Zathras wrote:
> > er..have you lot forgotten that the Sportwagon has LESS boot capacity
> > than the saloon UNLESS you drop the back seats! I manage 1 kid + all
> > the kit with a 156 saloon. Any more kids and I'd need a top box. I
> > took one look at the Sportwagon boot, laughed, then bought the saloon.
> > I'm sure the Sportwagon was an Italian joke that nobody else got.

> I also manage two kids plus all the kit in a saloon, but I think the extra
> height of the Sportwagon boot plus the bigger opening would come in handy.
> It's not the lack of space that's frustrating, but the size of the opening I
> think. Hell, I even have to slide in a box of groceries sideways and
> tilted...

You want to try loading the boot of a 75....
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL
Old September 19th 05, 02:04 AM
George Graves

In article >,
Zathras > wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:20:55 +0100, > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:50:52 +0200, "Hans de Heer"
> >, wrote:
> >

> >>Consider a Sportwagon. With a baby on its way, you can really use the extra
> >>space in the back. Stuffing a buggy in the back of a 156 sedan is not a
> >>nice
> >>thing to do, trust me...

> er..have you lot forgotten that the Sportwagon has LESS boot capacity
> than the saloon UNLESS you drop the back seats! I manage 1 kid + all
> the kit with a 156 saloon. Any more kids and I'd need a top box. I
> took one look at the Sportwagon boot, laughed, then bought the saloon.
> I'm sure the Sportwagon was an Italian joke that nobody else got.

Except that it's the prettiest current station wagon on the planet and
maybe the best looking one this side of an Aston Martin Shooting Brake.
Old September 19th 05, 08:22 AM
PeterMcC

George Graves wrote in

> I have driven the 1.6 liter 147 extensively. Even in a car the size
> of a Ford Focus, the 1.6 is anemic, I cannot even imagine how
> lackluster the performance would be in a car the size and weight of a
> 166.

That would be a good point, were it possible to buy a 1.6l 166

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Old September 19th 05, 08:36 AM
Zathras

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:04:53 GMT, George Graves >
wrote:

<snip>
>Except that it's the prettiest current station wagon on the planet and
>maybe the best looking one this side of an Aston Martin Shooting Brake.

I agree..but as a load carrier...1/10

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old September 19th 05, 08:38 AM
Zathras

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:26:49 +0200, "Hans de Heer"
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>> er..have you lot forgotten that the Sportwagon has LESS boot capacity
>> than the saloon UNLESS you drop the back seats! I manage 1 kid + all
>> the kit with a 156 saloon. Any more kids and I'd need a top box. I
>> took one look at the Sportwagon boot, laughed, then bought the saloon.
>> I'm sure the Sportwagon was an Italian joke that nobody else got.

>I also manage two kids plus all the kit in a saloon, but I think the extra
>height of the Sportwagon boot plus the bigger opening would come in handy.
>It's not the lack of space that's frustrating, but the size of the opening I
>think. Hell, I even have to slide in a box of groceries sideways and
>tilted...

True..I use bags for that reason. However, it's still a smaller space
in the Sportwagon and I need all I can get.

Old September 19th 05, 03:04 PM
Pete

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:36:16 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:04:53 GMT, George Graves >
>wrote:
>
><snip>
>>Except that it's the prettiest current station wagon on the planet and
>>maybe the best looking one this side of an Aston Martin Shooting Brake.

>I agree..but as a load carrier...1/10

Which is why I have a 156 saloon + a LWB Transit <ROF>

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old September 19th 05, 06:29 PM
Zathras

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:04:55 +0100, > wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:36:16 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:04:53 GMT, George Graves >
>>wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>>Except that it's the prettiest current station wagon on the planet and
>>>maybe the best looking one this side of an Aston Martin Shooting Brake.

>>I agree..but as a load carrier...1/10

>Which is why I have a 156 saloon + a LWB Transit <ROF>

Ha Ha! That covers a few bases!!! :-) It also has the plus point that
after the Transit, the Alfa will feel like a supercar!

Old September 19th 05, 07:44 PM
Pete

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:29:12 GMT, Zathras
>, wrote:

>after the Transit, the Alfa will feel like a supercar!

Yep, but it doesn't have the sub-aqua kit fitted :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso