Poor 156

Old October 25th 09, 10:24 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage

Default Poor 156

"Dave Savage" > wrote in message

> "> Dave S... (currently nursing very sick 156, I'm pretty sure it's the
> MAF,
>> had same problem 20k miles ago) :>((
>>

> Well - I got that one completely wrong.
>
> A "nice young man from the AA" came out last Thursday and discovered that
> one of the plugs is well oiled-up.
>
> Poss cause - knackered gasket ??
>
> Anyway, 156 is now down at the local Alfa dealer (Allams of Epsom)
> awaiting
> diagnosis / fix - I'll be posting bulletins on the palace gates as and
> when
> there's anything to report.
>
> Dave S.. :>(( (not a happy bunny)

As promised, an update bulletin :

Dear Reader,

You will recall that I left the 156 with Allams on Thursday 15th October.
They said it would be at least Wednesday 21st before they could work on it
because of other work - OK , I can live with that.
On the same 15th October, I contacted AA insurance (I've got Breakdown
Repair Cover) to get the ball rolling on a claim.

Since I'd heard nothing, on Friday 23rd October I made so bold as to contact
Allams to find out what progress :

1st attempt spent some time listening to a computer telling me to press 1
for option this / 2 for option that etc. etc. before finally being told (by
a machine) "Sorry, they're all busy, do you want to leave a message". No
thanks, I thought ...

2nd attempt got through to Alf (name changed to protect the innocent ) : -
"Hang on while I have a look" ..... long silence (I thought the line had
gone)
"Ah, you need to talk to Bill (name changed etc. etc.), but he's busy, he'll
call you back"

After 10 minutes or so, Bill calls me :-
"The AA won't proceed with a claim unless we give them your home address
details"
"OK" says I - "here's the details (thinking "why the f**k didn't you call me
earlier". With hindsight, I realized that Allams had all this info on their
system anyway, but let's gloss over this...)"

Another 10 minutes go by :-
"Hello, it's Bill here, the AA want a copy of your last service invoice, can
you talk to them ?"
"No probs" says I, after all , the least service was done by an independent.

So, I call the AA :-
"We asked Allams for a copy of the service invoice on Friday the 16th"
"Ok" says I, "lets ignore that bit, I'll fax you a copy of the invoice".

Which I have done, we now await developments.....

"Ahah" I hear you say "But what about the 156. What's wrong with it ?"

Well, the story from Allams so far is that it needs a new cam cover gasket
(£85.42 fitted).

To be continued.......

Old October 25th 09, 11:06 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Dave Savage wrote:
> "Dave Savage" > wrote in message
>> "> Dave S... (currently nursing very sick 156, I'm pretty sure it's the
>> MAF,
>>> had same problem 20k miles ago) :>((
>>>

>> Well - I got that one completely wrong.
>>
>> A "nice young man from the AA" came out last Thursday and discovered that
>> one of the plugs is well oiled-up.
>>
>> Poss cause - knackered gasket ??
>>
>> Anyway, 156 is now down at the local Alfa dealer (Allams of Epsom)
>> awaiting
>> diagnosis / fix - I'll be posting bulletins on the palace gates as and
>> when
>> there's anything to report.
>>
>> Dave S.. :>(( (not a happy bunny)
>>

> As promised, an update bulletin :
>
> Dear Reader,
>
> You will recall that I left the 156 with Allams on Thursday 15th October.
> They said it would be at least Wednesday 21st before they could work on it
> because of other work - OK , I can live with that.
> On the same 15th October, I contacted AA insurance (I've got Breakdown
> Repair Cover) to get the ball rolling on a claim.
>
> Since I'd heard nothing, on Friday 23rd October I made so bold as to contact
> Allams to find out what progress :
>
> 1st attempt spent some time listening to a computer telling me to press 1
> for option this / 2 for option that etc. etc. before finally being told (by
> a machine) "Sorry, they're all busy, do you want to leave a message". No
> thanks, I thought ...
>
> 2nd attempt got through to Alf (name changed to protect the innocent ) : -
> "Hang on while I have a look" ..... long silence (I thought the line had
> gone)
> "Ah, you need to talk to Bill (name changed etc. etc.), but he's busy, he'll
> call you back"
>
> After 10 minutes or so, Bill calls me :-
> "The AA won't proceed with a claim unless we give them your home address
> details"
> "OK" says I - "here's the details (thinking "why the f**k didn't you call me
> earlier". With hindsight, I realized that Allams had all this info on their
> system anyway, but let's gloss over this...)"
>
> Another 10 minutes go by :-
> "Hello, it's Bill here, the AA want a copy of your last service invoice, can
> you talk to them ?"
> "No probs" says I, after all , the least service was done by an independent.
>
> So, I call the AA :-
> "We asked Allams for a copy of the service invoice on Friday the 16th"
> "Ok" says I, "lets ignore that bit, I'll fax you a copy of the invoice".
>
> Which I have done, we now await developments.....
>
> "Ahah" I hear you say "But what about the 156. What's wrong with it ?"
>
> Well, the story from Allams so far is that it needs a new cam cover gasket
> (£85.42 fitted).
>
> To be continued.......

Good luck. I assume you'll be shopping for a new independent?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 25th 09, 11:34 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:24:02 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>> A "nice young man from the AA" came out last Thursday and discovered that
>> one of the plugs is well oiled-up.
>>
>> Poss cause - knackered gasket ??

<snip>

>Well, the story from Allams so far is that it needs a new cam cover gasket
>(£85.42 fitted).

So far? They haven't got very far then.. Unless, and I'm guessing, you
mean the head gasket. Mind you, 85UKP would be rather too good value
(IMHO) for a head gasket fitted. Still Christmas is just round the
corner..

Last time, years ago and not an Alfa, when I was involved with a leaky
cam cover gasket, it was a cosmetic affair..it was oozing oil over the
outside of the engine and causing an oil drip on my garage floor.
Couldn't possibly have affected the cylinder internals or engine
running. A head gasket most certainly could though.

Perhaps this story hasn't ended yet?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old October 25th 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage

"Catman" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> can you talk to them ?"
>> "No probs" says I, after all , the least service was done by an
>> independent.
>>
>> So, I call the AA :-
>> "We asked Allams for a copy of the service invoice on Friday the 16th"
>> "Ok" says I, "lets ignore that bit, I'll fax you a copy of the invoice".
>>
>> Which I have done, we now await developments.....
>>
>> "Ahah" I hear you say "But what about the 156. What's wrong with it ?"
>>
>> Well, the story from Allams so far is that it needs a new cam cover
>> gasket (£85.42 fitted).
>>
>> To be continued.......
>>

> Good luck. I assume you'll be shopping for a new independent?
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> 116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2

Hmm... not sure that I've got a problem with the independent - all they
did a couple of months ago was a lube service and an MOT.

To be continued ...

Old October 25th 09, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Savage

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:24:02 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> > wrote:
>

>>> A "nice young man from the AA" came out last Thursday and discovered
>>> that
>>> one of the plugs is well oiled-up.
>>>
>>> Poss cause - knackered gasket ??

> <snip>
>
>>Well, the story from Allams so far is that it needs a new cam cover gasket
>>(£85.42 fitted).

> So far? They haven't got very far then.. Unless, and I'm guessing, you
> mean the head gasket. Mind you, 85UKP would be rather too good value
> (IMHO) for a head gasket fitted. Still Christmas is just round the
> corner..
>
> Last time, years ago and not an Alfa, when I was involved with a leaky
> cam cover gasket, it was a cosmetic affair..it was oozing oil over the
> outside of the engine and causing an oil drip on my garage floor.
> Couldn't possibly have affected the cylinder internals or engine
> running. A head gasket most certainly could though.
>
> Perhaps this story hasn't ended yet?

> Scotland
> Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
> 'Oil' be seeing you..
> (Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
> subject line to get through auto-filtering)

Well..... I have a nasty suspicion that the need for a "cam cover gasket" is
just repeating what the nice AA man said might be the problem.

Then again, this an Alfa main dealer, who must must surely know what they're
talking about (or do I detect my inborn cynicism creeping in here ?).

Dave S..

PS Z - didn't you swap your 156 for a (whisper) German car recently ??

Old October 26th 09, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:45:45 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> wrote:

>Well..... I have a nasty suspicion that the need for a "cam cover gasket" is
>just repeating what the nice AA man said might be the problem.

I just don't see the link between an oiled plug (unless it's not
significant) and poor running to the cam cover gasket..that's all. I
don't claim to be an expert or be in possession of all the facts
though! Anyway, don't worry about it.

>Then again, this an Alfa main dealer, who must must surely know what they're
>talking about (or do I detect my inborn cynicism creeping in here ?).

They have the advantage of being able to..er..compare with other cars
in the workshop as was done to mine when the MAF was playing up. An
independent has to be a bit cleverer than that or struggle, really. On
a couple of occasions, I had to do my own diagnosis (with Google's
help) and just instructed the indy to "replace xyz" which he did.

>PS Z - didn't you swap your 156 for a (whisper) German car recently ??

Yes..I'm afraid so. I've still got a few Alfa bits but am, otherwise,
a traitor here! I do miss the 156 though..

I would, however, take issue with your use of the word *swap*, as all
I could have *swapped* my 156 for was a packet of water biscuits such
was the depreciation. Hey Ho!

Old October 26th 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_12_]

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:45:45 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> > wrote:
>
>>Well..... I have a nasty suspicion that the need for a "cam cover gasket"
>>is
>>just repeating what the nice AA man said might be the problem.

> I just don't see the link between an oiled plug (unless it's not
> significant) and poor running to the cam cover gasket..that's all. I
> don't claim to be an expert or be in possession of all the facts
> though! Anyway, don't worry about it.
>
>>Then again, this an Alfa main dealer, who must must surely know what
>>they're
>>talking about (or do I detect my inborn cynicism creeping in here ?).

> They have the advantage of being able to..er..compare with other cars
> in the workshop as was done to mine when the MAF was playing up. An
> independent has to be a bit cleverer than that or struggle, really. On
> a couple of occasions, I had to do my own diagnosis (with Google's
> help) and just instructed the indy to "replace xyz" which he did.
>
>>PS Z - didn't you swap your 156 for a (whisper) German car recently ??

> Yes..I'm afraid so. I've still got a few Alfa bits but am, otherwise,
> a traitor here! I do miss the 156 though..
>
> I would, however, take issue with your use of the word *swap*, as all
> I could have *swapped* my 156 for was a packet of water biscuits such
> was the depreciation. Hey Ho!

With the correct cheese, they can be a very tasty snack. Road tax is cheaper
on crackers too.

Old October 26th 09, 03:03 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dave Emerson

"Zathras" > wrote in message

> I would, however, take issue with your use of the word *swap*, as all
> I could have *swapped* my 156 for was a packet of water biscuits such
> was the depreciation. Hey Ho!

If our '82 Sud Ti was anything to go by, the biscuits would have lasted long
in the rain.

These cars had a design feature that was way ahead of their time -
biodegradable!

--
Dave
ex Motorcycle Maintenance Workshop

Old October 26th 09, 04:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Halmyre[_2_]

In article >,
says...
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:45:45 -0000, "Dave Savage"
> > wrote:
>
> >Well..... I have a nasty suspicion that the need for a "cam cover gasket" is
> >just repeating what the nice AA man said might be the problem.

> I just don't see the link between an oiled plug (unless it's not
> significant) and poor running to the cam cover gasket..that's all. I
> don't claim to be an expert or be in possession of all the facts
> though! Anyway, don't worry about it.
>
> >Then again, this an Alfa main dealer, who must must surely know what they're
> >talking about (or do I detect my inborn cynicism creeping in here ?).

> They have the advantage of being able to..er..compare with other cars
> in the workshop as was done to mine when the MAF was playing up. An
> independent has to be a bit cleverer than that or struggle, really. On
> a couple of occasions, I had to do my own diagnosis (with Google's
> help) and just instructed the indy to "replace xyz" which he did.
>
> >PS Z - didn't you swap your 156 for a (whisper) German car recently ??

> Yes..I'm afraid so. I've still got a few Alfa bits but am, otherwise,
> a traitor here!

Let's just say a sort of prodigal son, or a lost sheep who's strayed from the
fold.

--
Halmyre

This is the most powerful sigfile in the world and will probably blow your
head clean off.
Old October 26th 09, 11:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:52:41 -0000, "GT"
> wrote:

>With the correct cheese, they can be a very tasty snack. Road tax is cheaper
>on crackers too.

Wensleydale?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)

Poor performance at 85 mph on my 88 C4 lifeskills Corvette 5 October 31st 06 01:30 AM
The reason for the poor m.p.g. on my PT tomkanpa Chrysler 43 August 24th 06 04:03 PM
e39 - poor get up and go 74afroman BMW 1 May 29th 05 11:14 AM
Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 09:58 AM